Mens Tennis Forums banner

Commentary at its finest

405K views 3K replies 697 participants last post by  Burrow 
#1 ·
Post any noteworthy pieces of commentary that you wish to share.

#3,175 ·
Probably the funniest thing I heard yesterday was on W2D when they discussed Kyrgios taking his time changing his socks and him saying would you have warned me if I were Nadal.. Listening to McEnroe say that only Nadal doing it adds to the drama is such a load of bollocks.

I also hate that they've done their very best to ignore Stan Wawrinka again. ITV did it during the FO (until they had to) and they're only talking about him now because they have to. They spent more time talking up other players (including Nadal in the first week when most people on here could see he wasn't a contender FFS).

#3,177 ·
During the highlights show of Week 1, the recapper slipped saying that Sharapova was American, then correcting himself to say that she's a Russian based on America, which I wonder why they didn't just record that again. :lol:

#3,178 ·
Does anybody know why the BBC Wimbledon coverage is so sexist? I've never once heard a woman commentating a men's tennis match, whereas men frequently commentate women's matches. I'd much rather hear Navratilova or Davenport's insights into a Murray match than John Inverdale's.

#3,180 ·
That's true. I think all women's matches are commentated by a male and a female commentator, whereas the men's matches are covered solely by men.

Maybe someone here knows of exceptions?

#3,183 ·
Too many (rubbish) male commentators available, so they have to do something... Then again listening to Navratilova's arrogant expertise is hardly awe-inspiring. I loved how she had to shut up when Fed won that Wimbledon in 2012.

And additionally, I have enough of first name commentators on the women's side. I swear it's like these women are talking about their siblings out there on the court, nicknames will be coming soon.

#3,184 · (Edited)
Federer is clearly one of Navratilova's favorite players. I don't know why Federer fans continue to hold it against her that she predicted he was done winning slams before Wimbledon 2012 when most of us probably thought she was right at the time.

I think she's one of the better commentators. She's not afraid to speak her mind, she appreciates (at least in the women's game) athleticism over ballbashing, and she can actually provide some interesting analysis during matches, unlike so many commentators who revert back to the same old personal anecdotes about the players just to fill the air.

#3,188 ·
Fleming is the only guy worth listening to on the bbc team this year.

#3,191 ·
It's been funny how Balding's show has been changed a little more each day because it's been panned so badly. There's still the issue of Balding herself though. Yesterday, it was something like: "On to the women's draw, where other than Serena and Sharapova there are a lot of unknowns." Personally I was impressed by those complete unknowns Azarenka and Radwanska.

It seems as though the press conferences have been appalling. All these mistakes; telling Berdych he's in the QFs.. :facepalm: Then yesterday someone asking Azarenka about the noise she makes... really? After a great match? And worst of all, someone asked if Wozniacki had anything to say to McIlroy - since he's apparently picked up an injury.. :confused::rolleyes: That's just embarrassing, and a reminder of why our press are so despised.

#3,195 ·
"If Gasquet had lost the 4th set tie break against Kyrgios, it might well have gone to a 5th set" - John Inverdale.

Reactions: underspin
#3,199 ·
Oh man, Inverdale said Dimitrov - Cilic is following Murray - Pospisil. You can't make this stuff up. :lol:

#3,200 ·
Does Andrew Castle really have to fellate Djokovic's after every point? It's either "Cilic would have won that point 3 shots earlier against mere mortals", or "literally nobody could have hit that winner that this genius did".

#3,202 ·
Andrew Castle seems genuinely giddy that one of his old pretty boy crushes is sitting next to him in the commentary box.

#3,204 ·
Inverdale and Fleming was possibly the worse comms duo I have ever heard

I don't normally mind comms as much as others here but those two :tape:

also, have to say Roddick is a breath of fresh air compared to the others imo, though he can't say "simon" right :mad:

#3,205 ·
He can't say Cilic or Djokovic right either.

#3,207 ·
I don't blame Roddick for the pronunciations, Americans seem to pronounce a lot of names in their own way.

#3,209 ·
American dictionary

Djokovic - JOCK - A - VITCH

Cilic - SILL - ICH

#3,210 ·
Listening to Fleming and Inverdale is hilarious. Fleming is almost incapable of concealing his contempt.

#3,213 ·
Wouldn't you be? Inverdale is completely ignorant, while Fleming is a seasoned professional who both knows his stuff and commentates in a charismatic and entertaining manner.

#3,211 · (Edited)
Inverdale: I've been looking up some five set statistics for Wawrinka and Gasquet, but you said stats are irrelevant at this point.
Fleming: Go on ...
Inverdale: No, you said they're irrelevant
Fleming: (with gritted teeth) They might be irrelevant but they're interesting, so tell me.
Inverdale: I'll tell you at the changeover.

#3,212 ·
#3,215 ·
I'm just watching it on iplayer and I can't be arsed to rewind and listen again but I'm sure he just called Stan The Stanimal and then a couple of mins later said you could call him a Springer Spaniel. Did I mishear or does he actually spout pure bollocks??!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.