* The world's first non-gender discriminatory tournament where men and women compete against each other in the same draw in a unique format that takes the serve and return out of tennis.
* Since there is no traditional overhand serve, players feed out of the hand like in ping pong and play first one to 21. Players alternate feeding after every 5 feeds and alternate from the ad to the deuce court after each player has fed to a particular side. Players can feed to anywhere on the side they are serving as long as it is within the singles area (service box and backcourt) and on the targeted side of the court.
* The concept has been used for years at the Palisades Tennis Center in Los Angeles and lends itself to a faster match with a much higher concentration of exciting points. Players competing in the event will have a chance to earn a wildcard into their respective qualifying events of the both The Tennis Channel Open men's event and the Mirage Cup women's event.
* The main draw for the Shotgun 21 will take place on Friday, February 29. Matches usually last about 15 minutes.
* It should be known that men and women will potentially be competing in the same draw and playing against each other. The mixed gender event is exciting and interesting but does not necessarily significantly reduce the odds of either a man or a woman advancing in their respective events by virtue of the scoring format.
* ALL FEMALE PLAYERS WHO LOSE TO A MALE WILL HAVE A CONSOLATION DRAW THAT WILL STILL ALLOW THEM TO GET A WILDCARD INTO THE WOMEN'S QUALIES.
* Participants are playing to win one wildcard for men & one wildcard for women into the ATP & ITF qualifying rounds respectively.
* $30 entry fee (free registration for ATP and WTA ranked players) must be paid upon registration via PayPal. Registration deadline is Monday, Feb. 25th, 5pm PT.
* Fill out the form below and after paying through PayPal, you will receive a confirmation email.
*Weather Policy Notice: All players participating in Shotgun 21 pre-qualifying rounds (the "Shotgun 21"), currently scheduled to be held on Friday, February 29, 2008, at the Darling Tennis Center must be aware of the Shotgun 21 weather policy. In the event Shotgun 21 is canceled due to weather (e.g., rain, snow), or events beyond the control of TCE, which prevent it from holding Shotgun 21 (the "Force Majeure"), TCE will have no liability whatsoever for such cancellation, and it shall be in the sole discretion of TCO tournament directors to cancel Shotgun 21 due to bad weather. In the event of such cancellation, Player understands that the qualifying wild cards for TCO will be awarded to the male and female players with the highest ATP and WTA rankings, and that Player will only be entitled to a refund of the entry fee if Player has not competed in any Shotgun 21 match.