Germany-Croatia - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Who will win?
Germany 8 26.67%
Croatia 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Registered User
 
revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Failsworth
Age: 28
Posts: 5,053
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

good luck to the German team and hope Kiwi can get back fully fit for the tie.

I am BUOH, warrior of heart and soul.
revolution is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 11:50 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXneutron View Post
good luck to the German team and hope Kiwi can get back fully fit for the tie.
unsure, but maybe he will get fully fit some time later

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy
Neely is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:31 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,927
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely View Post
I don't deny Ancic can win on clay, at least he did so this season, but it needs a lot more than only one great season on clay with a few quarters or a semi to be called a TOP player on clay.

Well, if you want to play "show me the most pathetic loss of this player" then there would be plenty of links for Ancic's former performances, too
Besides, injuries or sickness can happen to a player always and that's sometimes behind the scoreline.
This season, last season, every season Ancic has better results on clay than on hard courts. You sound like you've never even seen him play on a clay court. You should watch him before making these assumptions. Has it occured to you that a grass player could play better on clay than on hard courts?

Don't just look at the results, look at his game. On a clay court the ball sits up nicely for him and he can strike the ball beautifully off both wings. He is a smart player, he knows how to construct the points and control the rallies on a clay court. For a tall player, he moves extremely well on a clay and hence he can defend better than most players. Because he is a good volleyer, he can finish off the points much more effectively than most players, without worrying about bad bounces or his opponents' speed.

Tommy Haas is rubbish on clay these days and I don't need to show "the most pathetic loss" to proove this. His record, especially over the past 3 years, speaks for itself.
Jimnik is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Registered User
 
revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Failsworth
Age: 28
Posts: 5,053
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
This season, last season, every season Ancic has better results on clay than on hard courts. You sound like you've never even seen him play on a clay court. You should watch him before making these assumptions. Has it occured to you that a grass player could play better on clay than on hard courts?

Don't just look at the results, look at his game. On a clay court the ball sits up nicely for him and he can strike the ball beautifully off both wings. He is a smart player, he knows how to construct the points and control the rallies on a clay court. For a tall player, he moves extremely well on a clay and hence he can defend better than most players. Because he is a good volleyer, he can finish off the points much more effectively than most players, without worrying about bad bounces or his opponents' speed.

Tommy Haas is rubbish on clay these days and I don't need to show "the most pathetic loss" to proove this. His record, especially over the past 3 years, speaks for itself.
Was there any need to be so scything and aggressive in that post?

Though I agree Ancic is a underrated clay court player.

I am BUOH, warrior of heart and soul.
revolution is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,927
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXneutron View Post
Was there any need to be so scything and aggressive in that post?

Though I agree Ancic is a underrated clay court player.
I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated.
Jimnik is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:09 AM
Registered User
 
revolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Failsworth
Age: 28
Posts: 5,053
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
I guess I'm just getting a bit frustrated.
I don't think Neely intended to offend you She's mega sweet.

I am BUOH, warrior of heart and soul.
revolution is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,927
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXneutron View Post
I don't think Neely intended to offend you She's mega sweet.
It's not just Neely, it's everyone in this thread who assumes that grass players only like fast surfaces. If people here were to rank Ancic's best surfaces, this is how they would do it:

1. Grass
2. Carpet
3. Fast Hard
4. Slow Hard
5. Clay

When in reality, it's more like this:

1. Grass
2. Clay
3. Slow Hard
4. Carpet
5. Fast Hard
Jimnik is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:32 AM
Registered User
 
RickDaStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,774
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

This year was the only good year Ancic has had on clay in his career.
RickDaStick is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:49 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,927
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
This year was the only good year Ancic has had on clay in his career.
Not true. He had already beaten the likes of Kuerten and Gonzalez on clay, before this year. The potential was always there.
Jimnik is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 02:23 AM
Registered User
 
RickDaStick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 7,774
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Not true. He had already beaten the likes of Kuerten and Gonzalez on clay, before this year. The potential was always there.
It is true. Just because he beats Gonzo on clay doesnt mean it was a good season for him on that surface. He's had some good wins but never a good overall year on clay.
RickDaStick is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:32 AM
Registered User
 
Jimnik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Here
Posts: 20,927
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by IvanLjubicic View Post
It is true. Just because he beats Gonzo on clay doesnt mean it was a good season for him on that surface. He's had some good wins but never a good overall year on clay.
Like I said, the potential was always there. Like Federer, he doesn't play many clay tournaments per year but, when he does, he performs very well.
Jimnik is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Age: 31
Posts: 365
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

My general thought was that a hard court surface would be the best choice for Germany.

Ljubicic is no better than Kiefer or Haas on hard, and they are both capable if they play to their potential of beating Ancic.

Doubles Croatia are fave. It's a tasty tie where Germany have no surface that is really to their advantage.
ginnylegend is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 PM
-
 
Neely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Age: 32
Posts: 24,630
                     
Re: Germany-Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
This season, last season, every season Ancic has better results on clay than on hard courts. You sound like you've never even seen him play on a clay court. You should watch him before making these assumptions. Has it occured to you that a grass player could play better on clay than on hard courts?
Maybe you can explain me his results of last season on clay were better than on hardcourt.

And to clarify, I don't think he is a bad player on clay, but to call Ancic a TOP player on clay which is in my definition a term maybe reserved to three or four people, that's just something I can't accept unless you are defining as TOP clay players as maybe the best 10 players of last season.
2006 was a better season for Ancic on clay than on hardcourt, 2005 not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimnik View Post
Don't just look at the results, look at his game. On a clay court the ball sits up nicely for him and he can strike the ball beautifully off both wings. He is a smart player, he knows how to construct the points and control the rallies on a clay court. For a tall player, he moves extremely well on a clay and hence he can defend better than most players. Because he is a good volleyer, he can finish off the points much more effectively than most players, without worrying about bad bounces or his opponents' speed.
I don't deny at all that there is more behind a player's ability on the surface than only the bare results, but how does warning me not only to look at his record and three sentences later saying that Tommy Haas' record on clay is pathetic the last three years to prove your point that Haas is not good on clay go along with each other? Please don't only look at his results then also. It's not that Haas' game would not be good enough for clay to be at least a slightly above average player on it.

Carlos --- C'MON Lleyton!!! --- Kiwi!!! --- Jürgen --- Juan

Best of luck to all Germans : Nicolas Kiefer | Rainer Schüttler | Lars | Florian | Tommy

Last edited by Neely; 10-04-2006 at 01:34 PM.
Neely is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome