Mens Tennis Forums banner

The "enjoy your little break, you've earned it :D (and vamos mandy)" Spring HC Thread

32K views 701 replies 41 participants last post by  tsurupettan 
#1 · (Edited)
#316 ·
Re: The "Thanks for surprising us twice - in one week!!!!!" Spring HC Thread

SO ANNOYING.
Look at him trying too hard to impress Larry by listening
TO every story of the kids' lives.

Too bad he'll keep pretending his return games
are good enough for enemies ranked below #50.

He'll keep playing exhibitions
2 days before the Madrid event and play 3 more November exhibitions with Kournikova/16-yr. old doubles partner. It did him no good on hardcourts, and
all his coaches bored him as soon as he self-destructed.

It's no joke that models, selfish avoidance of clay tennis, acting fake, and money are most important. What else....divorce and retirement at 29 years old with a #20 ranking?

#318 ·

:)

Attachments

#319 ·

BNP PARIBAS OPEN

March 13, 2009

Andy Roddick

INDIAN WELLS, CALIFORNIA

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Congratulations on Davis Cup again.
ANDY RODDICK: Thanks.

Q. How long have you been here? You've had just the two matches I guess in the last few weeks. Do you feel rusty at all?:lol:
ANDY RODDICK: Oh, no, I feel fine. I've actually played more matches to start this year than I have for a while, and the schedule has actually played out nicely.
You know, playing at Davis Cup time with that kind of atmosphere, you kind of are forced to get going pretty quick. So I definitely don't feel like I'm short on matches.
You know, especially I'm playing doubles tonight, so that should help a little bit. I feel all right.

Q. What made you decide to play doubles?
ANDY RODDICK: Um, you know, it's kind of a thing where you don't -- you could play Saturday, possibly Sunday, and -- sorry. To answer your first question, I got out here on, I think it was Monday evening. :eek:
I spent -- I flew home on Sunday evening, came out Monday evening. That's kind of a long time to be practicing. More so than anything it's about me getting antsy and wanting to play. So when a tournament is 10-, 11-day tournament it's not a bad idea.
Mardy wanted to play, so it made sense.

Q. Helpful for volleying?
ANDY RODDICK: I sure hope so.:haha:

Q. Your upcoming wedding plans, any coincidence that's during the clay court season?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, it's -- I mean, it's a little bit poetic. No, I'm joking. No, it's just -- yeah, that's purely coincidental, I'm sure. :spit: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Q. Will you be taking a lot of time off, though, around the wedding?
ANDY RODDICK: No. I have a normal schedule. My schedule hasn't really changed much.

Q. What advice do you have for young tennis players?
ANDY RODDICK: Um, well, the thing that I always say, and it's kind of boring, but the one thing you can control on a daily basis in tennis is how hard you work and what you put into it.
That's probably a little boring, but you can't control your coach's mood or conditions or anything like that, but you can control what you try to do, so...

Q. He's always in a pretty good mood, Larry. But coming to the place where he won a title, I wonder if that picks him up a little.
ANDY RODDICK: You know what, like you said, he's always pretty jovia:lol:l. I don't know if I've seen him in a bad mood yet. I've been playing well so far this year, so...
I don't know if it's so much that he won here that he actually lived here for 18 years. So I think I hear a lot more stories about, you know, what his sons did here and at this place and that place when they were four and five years old than I have, you know, about his win. You pretty much have to ask him about it for him to talk about it.

Q. Did you have a favorite tennis player growing up, sort of like a role model?
ANDY RODDICK: I had a bunch of them, actually. I was pretty lucky. Like most U.S. tennis fans, I was spoiled by the generation that preceded me, you know, from Pete to Andre to Chang to Courier to the tail end of Conners and McEnroe.
That's been pretty cool, because I've actually gotten to develop pretty good personal relationships with pretty much all of those guys. So it's been fun in that regard.

Q. One of your longest, I think, lasting relationships in the sport is with your trainer, Doug Spreen.
ANDY RODDICK: Uh-huh.

Q. What made you decide at a young age to have him travel with you full time? Did you consider it a necessity, or was it just something you wanted to try out, or...
ANDY RODDICK: I think just judging -- my dad had had some pretty bad back problems, and my brother didn't play. You know, he was pretty good, and I'm pretty sure he would have been top 70, 80, but he had to stop because of back problems.
You know, maybe if they would have started getting after it. You know, when you start treating something after it's a problem you're already behind.
I think that probably stuck in my mind a little bit. You know, at that point there was really no reason not to. I had done well enough to where I could afford it, and I felt like maybe it was an investment in myself. I had also seen, you know, Pete had a guy for a long time and there were a lot of top players who had gone that route, and had encouraged it, also.
So, you know, I figured there wasn't really a downside to it if you did it. You know, if it didn't work out then there really wasn't much loss there.

Q. Is the most important thing he does for you, is it off-court workout stuff or is it more recovery?
ANDY RODDICK: Doug's a little bit of a jack-of-all-trades. He was an ATP Tour trainer for a while. I think it was 12 years or something like that. So, you know, a bunch of little things you get, whether it's, you know, blisters on the feet or whatever, he knows how to deal with that stuff. He does stretching, he does massage, he does a whole bunch of stuff.
And from his time with the ATP, he has great relationships with a lot of the tournament doctors and other physios. If there's something that's -- if there is a chiropractic need or a medical doctor need, he's good at organizing that, too.
So, you know, Doug is dialed in. I don't really have to worry about a whole lot when he's around.:worship:

Q. When you play out here, the weather can be so different. You can play in the afternoon and it's 100. Then you play tonight, and the wind picks up it could be 55. How do you prepare for that? Do you say, I'm going to play no matter what and not let the conditions dictate how I play?
ANDY RODDICK: Well, there isn't another option, besides defaulting. I think the biggest thing is you probably do have to look at the weather reports and adjust your string tensions more than anything.
You know, it can be a totally different match depending on what time you play. I think the only thing I'm concerned about is what Tommy Haas is stringing his racquets at that weekend. :haha:
Then I just copy that and hope for the best. It's worked for him forever, so maybe it will work for me, too. (laughter.)

Q. Nice improv.
ANDY RODDICK: Thank you.
No, just string tensions I think is the only thing that really concerns me about that.

Q. How do you grade your season so far, and what are the next goals for you in the next couple of months?
ANDY RODDICK: It's been real good so far. You know, even if some of the matches I've lost I feel like I've played pretty well.
You know, a lot of the matches that have been on these kind of stages I've played well, and I have toughed some matches out. I feel like I'm playing better tennis, you know. I'm winning like a quarter of my return games so far this year, which is good for me.
You know, kind of winning points in different ways. You know, I'd like to just kind of continue on this path. I feel like it's going the right way.

Q. Do you have to really consciously work at trying to keep the weight off that you lost, or is it actually easier once you're playing matches?
ANDY RODDICK: Ah, well, I mean, it's something that I think is -- you know, you can't just -- I think it's just about creating new habits, which I feel I'm doing a decent job of.
You know, it's probably harder when you're playing matches, because when you're working out you're doing physical activity and playing tennis all in the same day, so you're getting a lot of work.
I think you just have to be diligent about what you eat and, you know, times you're eating and stuff. But I don't really worry about it as much during tournaments, because a lot of times you're going to have to put the carbs and starches into your body, so on and so forth.
I think it's a matter of not getting sloppy on off weeks and making sure you're doing the right things.

#320 ·
#321 ·

:lol: That Tommy Haas comment...

The oh-so-cool team Mandy have Llodra/Stepanek next. I think this is will be the end of Mandy atm, sadly. :sad:

#322 ·

I'm wondering if Tommy walked through the press room or something at that time. It's so random :lol:

Llodra/Stepamek's win was a bit surprising, but they're both good doubles players. I dont think andy cares all that much so yeah, they'll likely lose:lol:

#323 ·

That would be so perfect. :lol: If something like that had happened/did happen, I would've loved to see Tommy's face if he caught it.

Yeah, and it probably helps since Llodra is now out of singles -- maybe more motivation for him to at least stay in the tournament somewhere. Sucks 'cause it would've been extremely amusing if Mandy kept it going for more than just one round. Could've been some great fuckery. :rolls:

#324 ·

First of all hooray I get to watch tennis online second Andy's match is the last one on this evening which would be about 2:00 am my time and as much as I like watching his matches I guess I will have to wait for snippets on youtube sigh!

#325 ·

2am your time? Are you in England now?

#326 ·

Since Mardy is out of singles now, I wonder, will Mandy put in some effort to try and stay in the doubles? :scratch:

#327 ·

nah

#329 ·

Oh... that match... I am stuck between :eek: and :lol:

And I'm not surprised Andy said fuck you or whatever. I mean, I dunno if I would've said fuck you but I would've definitely said something "out of line" :rolleyes: or made some equally rude gestures and faces if I put myself through all that and with that player. :shrug: I guess that's why I rarely disparage Andy for his less than savory on-court behavior.

#330 ·

you know andy's putting up good results, he's being villainized and double standard-ed (yes my new word for the day) in GM like nothing else :rocker2:

And for those who didn't see in the livescoring thread, Rainn was in Andy's box tonight :lol:

rainnwilson Roddickulous... (get it?) http://post.ly/8W23

#331 ·

Psh... double standards are practically the standard (oh-ho, see what I did thar...) here, from what I've seen. :rolleyes: But they seem to follow Andy around like no one else. Dani could have kicked a cat for a field goal in that match for winning a point and Andy would still be the bastard. :lol:

#332 ·

oh yeah, of course:haha: then again, I was raised in a home where swearing is no big deal. Family folklore is that I called my dad a fucking asshole when I was about 4, and his response was laughter :haha: So what do I know :shrug: :haha:

#348 ·

oh yeah, of course:haha: then again, I was raised in a home where swearing is no big deal. Family folklore is that I called my dad a fucking asshole when I was about 4, and his response was laughter :haha: So what do I know :shrug: :haha:
:eek: :lol:

I missed Andy being an ass, I was so bored I was pretty much just listening by the time we had got to that point! :eek:

#334 ·

Oh, yeah, seriously. I understand ya. I honestly didn't get the backlash against the "fuck you" thing when I thought it was pretty justifiable (if I was Andy, I probably would've started showing contempt earlier than right at the end like he did). :eek: Boo hoo, is he tainting your pure as driven snow ears.

#335 · (Edited)

If I had to play a shitty player like Dani I'd be pissed and start cursing too. :shrug:

I love how people in GM act all offended by foul langauge all of a sudden. One bad word flies out of Roddick's mouth they're like, "Oh heavens to betsy! My virgin ears! I've never heard such foul language before!" Please. Pass the smelling salts.

Attachments

#336 · (Edited)

:lol: it's because it's andy. it's kind of a good sign that the double standard is out in full force :lol:

Attachments

#337 ·

Yeah, they should be happy Andy was obviously showing some restraint there against Dani. :lol: What, only one or two "fuck you"? And it was near the end? :angel:

#338 ·

based on how it sounds, andy actually DID show a fair amount of restraint to remain so calm til the very end.

#339 ·

Andy definitely goes overboard sometimes, no one denies that. But he rarely just goes at his opponents in their faces for no reason. Of course Tsonga was talking shit too. And it sounds like Koellerer was being a royal dickhead all match tonight. It doesn't make Andy's response classy, but it's not like he just goes on court with the intention of belittling his opponents. But you can't change people's minds, to them Andy's the devil and all these other guys are just innocent lower-ranked players. Blahblahblahblah.

#340 · (Edited)

Yeah, no doubt about it. I was actually pretty impressed/surprised Andy kept it in until the end, I thought he would have said/done something before than at the very end of the TB/match.

:lol: I would be a horrible tennis player when it comes to swearing/letting things slide. I know if someone said "fuck you" to me, my auto response would be "WHAT, BITCH!" and from there, it'd all depend on what they said next. I'd pile on the fines so quick. :eek:

...It doesn't make Andy's response classy, but it's not like he just goes on court with the intention of belittling his opponents. But you can't change people's minds, to them Andy's the devil and all these other guys are just innocent lower-ranked players. Blahblahblahblah.
I'm all for classy, but honestly, when a player is being a dick in some way, I don't blame the other player for blowing off some steam of their own. I mean, great, if they have a high level of tolerance and can let it slide, but I'm not gonna go looking down on someone if they get fed up because of another's shitty behavior.

#343 ·

Bryan brothers just annihilated Federer/Yves 6-2 6-0 :spit:
:bowdown:

Man, I wanted to see that match so bad too. :( Would've been sweet...

And with nestor/zimonjic out the way... :angel: Can they now gather the elusive IW title, too?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.