It looks like he really just forgot to enter Brisbane, what an idiot.
Brisbane loses Gael Monfils in tennis mix-up
By Paul Malone - December 02, 2008 11:00pm
PLANS by French entertainer Gael Monfils to play next month's Brisbane International are in tatters after a failure to meet the entry deadline.
Monfils, who might well have been the men's third seed in Brisbane, told organisers last month he wanted to start his Australian Open campaign at the January 4-11 tournament.
But Brisbane tournament director Steve Ayles was left exasperated when the flamboyant world No. 14, who has recently changed agents, missed an entry deadline.
Ayles has promised one main draw wildcard to crowd-pleasing Marcos Baghdatis, the 2006 Australian Open runner-up who has dropped to No. 99 in an injury-hit year, and Tennis Australia is committed to giving the remaining two to Australian men.
"As it stands, he won't be playing and it's something that Gael regrets and his new agent regrets," Ayles said last night.
"His current agent and his former agent are blaming each other and Gael would still very much like to play our tournament.
"One thing that could get him a wildcard would be if Marcos decides he needs to play matches and says he wouldn't mind playing qualifying, but that's unlikely."
Without Monfils, who is unlikely to resort to entering Brisbane qualifying himself and has not entered either of the other ATP events in that week, the Brisbane International still has five top-20 men.
He could play the qualies, it won't kill him, he already did in Bucharest.