Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup Thread - Rafa sends Spain to DC Final

13K views 191 replies 34 participants last post by  Minn 
#1 ·
I couldn't find a Davis Cup thread (actually I didn't look for one) but there are already some :inlove: pics and vids with Rafa and the DC team.

I don't like Davis Cup much, but I do like The Armada being all boys together :inlove:

#16 ·
Re: Davis Cup Thread.

Rafa sitting on Feli's lap :hearts:
:lol:

thanks for all the photos Linda :hug: Ferru :inlove: :inlove:

have you officially started a DC thread now? is this where we make MIT predictions? does MIT include DC or will that only be next year?

inquiring minds wanna know :)
No, we cannot include DC, the format is completely different. :shrug:

Apparently Lalo was not enough. Rafito has his eye on Pics now :sad: :confused:

#5 ·

have you officially started a DC thread now? is this where we make MIT predictions? does MIT include DC or will that only be next year?
I don't think DC should be included in MIT, but I suppose Metis will have the final say.

I suppose we could guess how many games Rafa will lose :confused:

Hope I haven't jinxed him :bigcry:

Roddick :scared: Querrey :unsure: Fish :scared: A Bryan :unsure:

#8 ·

Rafa in Feli's arms or on his lap is nothing new. Davis Cup seems to bring out Rafa's, "shall we say," more demonstrative side.

Maybe it is the quality of the video but the non-yellow side of the capes looks almost the same pinkish/fuchsia color of the clay court shirts. Reminds I have not watched Priscilla Queen of the Desert recently.

#9 ·

Davis Cup, Nadal's motivation

Spain | Tennis | 15-09 | 13:59 ET

World no. 1 Rafael Nadal said after the practice in an outside court at Las Ventas court that playing for Spain in Davis Cup semifinals will be special.

Rafael Nadal is living an unforgettable season. He won the French Open, Wimbledon and the gold medal at the Olympic Games; to cap it all, he dethronede Roger Federer from ATP world ranking apex. Now, he goes for the Davis Cup.

"Even though it's true it was a tough season, playing Davis Cup at home against United States is an extra motivation for me," Nadal commented. "I don't know anything about the conditions of the court because I've been practicing outside, but it looks great," he added.

"It's fine for me, maybe it's a little bit soft, but it will improve by Friday," David Ferrer said; he did practice on the court with Feliciano Lopez.

As for United States, the players attended their first practice in an outside court at Plaza de Ventas.

Andy Roddick, Sam Querrey, Mardy Fish and Mike Bryan practiced doubles matchs during one hour and a half; they will practice on the central court on Tuesday.

#12 ·

I don't like Davis Cup much, but I do like The Armada being all boys together :inlove:
Thanks for starting a DC thread. DC is a blast to attend, I highly recommend it. It's even more fun to watch when you've got handsome teams as close-knit as Spain, and Rafa insists on sitting on FLo's lap. :angel:

Here's Andy Roddick's comments on Rafa, being the typical jerkass bully that he is. :)

Q. (Question about Rafa being tired.)
ANDY RODDICK: I don't think it does. You know, it will be amazing how 22,000 of his closest friends will probably eliminate any sort of fatigue that he may have. I think he knows that he's got a little bit of time off after this event. So I don't put much stock into it at all. He's too much of a competitor.

Q. Talk about the full package he brings to the game.
ANDY RODDICK: He's been great for tennis. Everything from kind of how hard he plays to kind of his charisma and his style on the court. But then off the court he's a perfect gentleman, he's very humble off the court. I think he's very well-respected around the tour. He's great for the game.

#14 ·

Thanks for starting a DC thread. DC is a blast to attend, I highly recommend it. It's even more fun to watch when you've got handsome teams as close-knit as Spain, and Rafa insists on sitting on FLo's lap. :angel:

Here's Andy Roddick's comments on Rafa, being the typical jerkass bully that he is. :)
Roddick is such an asshole. I'm amazed he's allowed to speak to the press. :shrug:

There are more pics today from the presser :inlove: I will go and fetch them.

amierin, I saw mentioned at vb who that woman was, but I have forgotten. I will go and find out. Ah, she is Esperanza Aguirre, the President of the People's Party :shrug: I know nothing of Spanish regional politics. Or Spanish national politics. :lol:

I am so helpful today :angel:

#18 ·

My feeling is that Rafa is not going to play Roddick. He'll be playing Query(?), the Fish or Ginepri (if he plays).

Quarry vs Rafa should be fun!:bounce:

#19 ·

an interview with the DC team :http://s296.photobucket.com/player....lbums/mm193/gandaines2/CD6.flv&fs=1&os=1&ap=1

:inlove:

translation of interview from RN.com boards

Maria: in this dream year for Spanish sport, especially for one man, for Rafa, well the only thing that is missing is that Spain wins the Davis Cup again. It's the last great effort of the season for the World No 1, for a Rafa Nadal we have seen work hard this afternoon, very hard. Rafa has been getting back into rhythm of the clay court after his efforts at the US Open and from not having touched a racquet during a very well deserved few days of rest. So, now to triumph in Las Ventas... like we said, Spain has everything in its favour, the stage, the surface and of course, the team. Well all the team are with us live, with Rosana. Rosana, I am jealous of you! Rosana, how do you see them?!

Rosana: Well I see them very well! Well all like them, they are our team, and the Americans like them too! Roddick was saying this morning in the press conference Rafa that you are an example as a person, and as a sportsman, and then we saw in Las Ventas how he was trying to imitate you in Las Ventas with that thing you do to pick up the ball...!

Rafa: He only tried!

Rosana: Well he tried but you have been a good teacher, because in the end we saw Mardy Fish a while...

Rafa: Well we have a good relationship with each other. It is also going to be a special experience for them as it is for us playing at home, in a Bull Ring as impressive as Las Ventas, for all of us it is going to be an unforgettable experience, no?

Maria: What I don't know Rafa is whether this Davis Cup finds you now tired or on the contrary, super motivated for what you have achieved this year.

Rafa: Well a bit of everything, no? But mostly motivated being here with all the team. Playing as a team is always special, different to playing on your own, so very happy to be here, I think we all are and we will try to do everything to get Spain into this final.

Maria talks about the impressive bullring and how Rafa sees himself entering the bullring "the grand Cathedral of bull fighting"

Rafa: Well we are still far from beginning, a few days to go just preparing ourselves and later we will see if it ends well

Rosana talking to Emilio: Maria was asking us how we see the team. You are the one who sees them best. You were training hard with Rafa this afternoon although he says not so hard! How are the team, are they as relaxed as they appear to be, or not quite so relaxed?

Emilio: No, I think in all of the ties I have shared with them in, this is the one I see them with the most illusion, most enthusiasm for getting fit as quickly as possible to give their best performance, to be competitive and to represent the Spaniards and Spain like they do normally in all the international tournaments.

Rosana: This is a bit of a question for all of you, perhaps you two can answer for the doubles. How do you feel about Bob definitely pulling out which the Americans announced officially today in the press conference?

Emilio (laughing at Feli and Nando who redirected the question to "Capi"): The two who normally talk the most and now on the news they are shy! Well an injury is always important in a couple as solid as those two. He has been replaced by Fish who is a great player but in difficult moments such as these, Verdasco and Lopez are the players who have more experience together. In important moments, experience counts a lot.

Rosana: Thank you all very much for being with us...

#21 ·

Rafa is wearing no shoes :tape:

And in another video he appears to be wearing a piece of ripped cloth around his head.

:confused:
i didn't even notice the socks thing but i DID notice the ripped bandana. i think rafito is losing a lot of bets :lol:

atleast i hope that's the explanation :tape:

#27 ·

It is his "interesting" mannerisms that make me laugh the most tho...
I'm surprised he still has these mannerisms knowing that the media is focused on him at all times. It's kind of nice that he hasn't allowed the cameras to alter his behavior.

i didn't even notice the socks thing but i DID notice the ripped bandana. i think rafito is losing a lot of bets :lol: atleast i hope that's the explanation :tape:
It looks like they ripped up a bedsheet and told Rafa to wear that on his head instead. :rolls:

DC brings out the fraternity behavior for sure.

Rafa sitting on Feli's lap :hearts:
Rafa's ass fits snugly on LaLo's lap. :angel:

I really hope the Spaniards don't lose this tie.
Are you kidding? :lol:

#25 ·

Great stuff. Thanks, Linda.

Juanqui was also there sitting at the bench.

Have you noticed the poster?
There's written: RAFA NADAL "MORENITO DE MANACOR". This means "young man with dark brown hair of Manacor" :)

Also, there's written: FELICIANO LOPEZ "TORPEDO DE TOLEDO" :haha:

#26 · (Edited)

Rafa is first up on Friday, against Querrey.

http://www.daviscup.com/news/newsarticle.asp?articleid=14655
The full draw is as follows:

Friday
Rafael Nadal (ESP) v Sam Querrey (USA)
David Ferrer (ESP) v Andy Roddick (USA)

Saturday
Feliciano Lopez/Fernando Verdasco (ESP) v Mike Bryan/Mardy Fish (USA)

Sunday
Rafael Nadal (ESP) v Andy Roddick (USA)
David Ferrer (ESP) v Sam Querrey (USA)
He's not happy with the conditions in Madrid :bigcry: If Spain lose this tie (huge embarrassment) it will all be that horrible little man's fault. :(

(I nearly spelt horrible with 2 bs :retard:)

Nadal Struggles to Adjust to Madrid Bullring in Davis Cup Match

By Alex Duff

Rafael Nadal has grown comfortable on the main courts at Wimbledon and the French Open. He's struggling a bit with his newest venue, a bullring in Madrid.

Nadal, who took over tennis's top ranking last month, and his teammates from Spain will face the defending-champion U.S. in the Davis Cup semifinals starting tomorrow. The matches will be held on a clay court built in Las Ventas, a 69-year-old arena that hosts 70 bullfights a year.

Nadal, 22, said he was over-hitting balls in practice. Lower air pressure in Europe's highest capital, at 600 meters (1,969 feet) above sea level, makes the ball travel faster than normal.

``We'll have to take more care than on any other normal court,'' Nadal told reporters. ``If you hit the ball in the center, it seems like it's going to go out.''

The Spanish tennis federation picked Madrid as a Davis Cup venue for the first time in 14 years against the wishes of Nadal and his teammates. The higher altitude may help the big-serving U.S. team, featuring Andy Roddick and 6-foot-6 (2-meter) tournament rookie Sam Querrey.

``If we can get a little advantage over there, that could be it,'' Querrey said in an interview.

The best-of-five event runs for three days, and the winner will face either Argentina or Russia, who are playing on a clay court in the Estadio Parque Roca in Buenos Aires.

Querrey, a 20-year-old Californian, served 20 aces to Nadal's six and won a set from the Spaniard in a 3-hour, 12- minute fourth-round match at the U.S. Open on Sept. 1.

Biggest Bullring

The Davis Cup matches are on a specially made court in Spain's biggest bullring, a red-brick arena that includes a chapel for toreros to pray. The U.S. team will use the bullring's library as its locker room. All 21,000 seats are likely to be sold out for the three-day event, organizers said.

``I don't know if we'll ever get a chance to play in a bullring again,'' Roddick said. ``It's just cool.''

Nadal, who won the French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympic gold medal this year, and fifth-ranked David Ferrer are set to play singles for Spain. Fernando Verdasco and Feliciano Lopez probably will play doubles.

``This will be my last big effort both physically and mentally before I take a break,'' Nadal said.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aSsJQ68VIfpk&refer=uk

#31 ·

Vamos indeed :D

Is it wrong of me to hope Spain lose one of the first 3 matches so Rafa has to play again on Sunday when I can watch?

There are quite a lot of training/presser pics from today. But I am lazy and feel sure veyonce will post them in HoTPiX later.

#41 ·

Is it wrong of me to hope Spain lose one of the first 3 matches so Rafa has to play again on Sunday when I can watch?
It IS wrong! You want Rafa to get more tired? :mad: He's already exhausted after so many matches poor dear. :hug: :rolls:

There are quite a lot of training/presser pics from today. But I am lazy and feel sure veyonce will post them in HoTPiX later.
:rolleyes: :mad:

Linda :hug:

Not to dwell to much on Rafa's hair- but it looks good with the hair cut.
I couldn't agree more. :worship: The shorter the better.

I think that between the Spaniards and the Argies- we may get a lot of slashtastic pictures in the next few days. :hearts:
:banana: :crazy:

#36 ·

I once read someone call Sam "a teenager in his 40's" :lol:
:spit:

I just think he's probably 28. Like Del Potro.
The picture certainly begs the question...and even when Rafa's hair falls out (¡¡please no!!) poor old Querrey will still have that unfortunate face.
I'm so scared for Rafa's hair Let's not go there with Rafa's hair. It's a hand grenade of a topic :scared: I should not have mentioned it yesterday :bigcry:

But yeah, Querrey. Bleuuuurgh.

#37 ·

Sam does look like an old Gabbo- but he seems to be a decent young man. (*whisper* I also liked Roddick's nice comments about Rafa *whisper*)

I think that between the Spaniards and the Argies- we may get a lot of slashtastic pictures in the next few days. :hearts:

#38 ·

Sam does look like an old Gabbo- but he seems to be a decent young man. (*whisper* I also liked Roddick's nice comments about Rafa *whisper*)

No need to whisper. Roddick's comments to the press are universally loved, even when they're not about his great Rafa is. :worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.