Mens Tennis Forums banner

Lets introduce ourselves Kei Fans! Konnichiwa!

3K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  chewy 
#1 ·
Hello :wavey:

Esther told me to make an introduction thread and I don't know what I am supposed to do.

So I thought we could all introduce ourselves etc and then when you stop by Kei's chat thread, we all know eachother.

So, I'm Thomas, 17 and a student. I have been a fan of Kei since around 2006Roland Garros when he was playing Juniors, I have a friend from Japan and I remember looking at the ATP rankings for a young Japanese player who could be a hope and couldn't really find anyone, so moved to the Junior rankings and soon found some information about him. I decided to create his cheering thread after he won the Luxilon Cup in 2007 at Miami and soon afterwards managed to find a video clip of him and liked what I saw. Soon after creating his thread his results starting coming last summer.

I can't think of anything else to write, but I have probably bored you so its your turn now. :wavey

#2 ·
Hi :wavey:

I'm Esther. I get to know Kei Nishikori since last year when Brad Gilbert had a good comment on him. Since he's an Asian newcomer i guess i must supporting him because i'm also an Asian. ;) He doesn't let us down! Yay!

#3 ·
I am Ali and I am from Saudi Arabia in West Asia, but I also live in Thailand. I was a big fan of Shouzo Matsuoka in the nineties. Of course, I support Paradorn and all Thai players, and anytime I see an Asian in a tournament I support them. When Kei came on the scene in juniors 2006, I started following his career. So, I am happy that this is his break through year.

#8 ·
Hey everyone my name is Andy, I am 17 and I am a student in Maryland. I first started following Kei when I saw his name in a futures in early 2007. Coincedentally, he played at my local tournament, the Legg Mason, later that summer and I cheered him on there (he won a match even!) and talked to a him a bit. Haha I've become a HUGE Kei fan.

#10 ·
I first saw Kei at Wimbledon and was very impressed with him. I'm from the U.S., but I'm very interested in Asia and the Asian people because they are all so nice here at MTF ;)
:hug: Mae :hug:

Hello everyone :wavey:

#11 ·
Awwww, a fourm :) Congrats everyone!

I'm Nathii, a journalist from Poland and I like Kei since I followed him at Queens this year and had a chance to ask him a few questions. He's such a sweet kid and a big heart. Wishing him all the best.

Earlier successes made me wonder if it's fluke or not, but now I know it's not and he has pure talent.

#12 ·
Hya everyone, *bunny* from Tokyo here! ;)
Been busy the last couple of weeks and hardly online on MTF, and suddenly there's Kei's forum!!
Thanx very much to the mods :worship: and :bowdown: to everyone who helped them create this forum!

I've been a tennis fan since early 1990s and have become really obsessed with it since 2001. My favourite players are in my sig.
I first learned about Kei in Japanese TV coverage of Roland Garros in 2006, in an interview after he won the junior doubles title there with Emiliano Massa. He was so shy and cute, but there was already this natural and unpretentious air around him, which I like very much, that after that I decided to pay attentoin to where he's playing, how he's doing. It took me a while before I could actually see him play...it was the doubles match with Go Soeda at AIG Japan Open last year. (I missed his singles first round where he lost to Fleishman coz I had to work that day) They lost to more experienced Suzuki/Becker duo.
So like many people it was his campaign in Delray Beach that I saw him play full matches, and what a pleasant surprise that was!

Nice to meet all you guys/gals here, I'm sure this forum has a great future, like Kei! :yeah:

#13 ·
Hi, everyone! My name is "kinokino" from Tokyo, Japan. I first saw Kei at AIG Japan Open 2007.
He fights strongly to win whereas seems so shy during the interview... I love the gap ;)

#14 ·
Hallo. :)
My name's Thomas. I'm 23 years old and from Berlin, capital of Germany. I imagine watching tennis since I was very young, but it became more and more during the last years, so it turned into my favourite sport to watch. Unfortunately I couldn't watch Kei live so far. Hopefully this will change soon. I follow his career since his victory at Luxilon Cup. I really like his game and his fighting spirit. :)

#16 ·
I'm Reaz and a Kei fan.He's only 18 and needs some time before he really feels for his Asian roots.But for the time being let's support his cause-to become a really good player.I hope that although he is of Asian descent he starts to really feel deep down inside not only for himself and his Japanese roots but that he has a responsibility towards Asian tennis.He'll need time though.Absolutely loved the match against Ferrer though!

#17 ·
Hi all. I'm bluequeda from Taiwan. Like many I first heard about Kei from his Delray Beach win. I could watch the video of that fake drop shot over and over again. What I like in particular about Kei is his mental strength at such tender age and the intelligence shown in his shot selection and placement. We'll see more of him, that I'm sure of!:cool:

A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). :)Thank you!

#19 · (Edited)
A bit of question for our Japanese friends on here. My impression is that it's a social etiquette in Japan to address people in their surnames, even among friends. But I'm presuming things have changed a little now especially among the younger generations? I'm asking because we're all calling Kei by his first name (obviously). :)Thank you!
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade." :)

Reactions: *esther*
#18 ·
Hi bluequeda :wavey:

I read the article on his name before.
His surname "Nishikori" is a bit unpronounceable even to Japanese people. So his parents named him "Kei" easy to remember for the overseas people.

In my case, I'm not so "younger" but I usually call my friends by first name ;)

#22 ·
Hi bluequeda!
Actually I and my Japanese friends call him Nishikori-kun among ourselves. It's only when I speak or write in English I call him Kei. I do so because those ways sound more natural in either languages.
Calling someone with his/her surname is not formal at all in Japan if you add "kun" or "chan" or without any suffix. You are more likely to hear people calling out "Nishikori!" when cheering for him during a match here.
Maybe some people in Japan call him Kei or Kei-kun, too, and that sounds alright too IMO.
I saw on TV his mum talking with him on the phone and she was calling him "Kei-chan," which I think is the normal way for an elder family member to call him.

And let me elaboarate on what Kinokino said about his surname. It's not that the Japanese people find it difficult to pronounce the name phonetically. It's more to do with the Chinese characters used in the name.
The surname 錦織 is pronounced "Nishikiori" in many cases, and it's quite unusual to pronounce it "Nishikori." I read there are also rare cases in wich the name is pronounced "Nishigori" or "Nishikori" with a longer vowel "o." It all depends on family which way it should be pronounced, and in Shimane, where Kei comes from, it is apparently common to pronounce the name "Nishikori."
In any case, it is not a very common name, but I think it's a beautiful name. As you can probably see those Chinese characters mean "brocade." :)
Thank you Kinokino and *Bunny for the explanation. I am always fascinated by different cultural practices.

#23 ·
Hi guys! I grow up admiring Pete Sampras and Ivan Lendl. And for the past 4 years I've been so passionate about tennis chasing every tournament that Rafael Nadal plays.

Being an asian myself, I support asian ballers. I certainly hope to see Kei achieve success as what Paradorn did; to be ranked in the top 10 someday.

#26 ·
Hi Reaz :wavey: First of all, sorry if you felt the ignorance from all of us. :(
And we didn't meant it, REALLY!
This is our new forum and some of the members were old and new, we haven't get used with it, i guess!;)

Actually since at Kei's old thread, we, the old members also didn't post much :lol:
Hope you've no hard feeling. :hug:

#31 ·
Hello everyone

I am Raf, been supporting Asian Tennis Players for years now. Unfortunately can only support them through watching matches on TV since it's very expensive to watch them live, on court.

I been supporting Paradorn but unfortunately his not playing right now due to injury.

I am really glad that another asian born player by the name of "Kei Nishikori" is really playing well at the atp tour and is on a ranking rise. I really like his game, very solid off the baseline but his got other skills like coming into the net and his awesome fast foot work. Plus he is only 18, that alone gets him the attention. I've been supporting Kei for almost a year now, watching every match shown in TV. I was particularly happy when i was able to watch him playing against Ferrer at the US Open. I was shouting the whole time, saying "Cmon", "Go" every time Kei wins a point. My mom even went it ti my room just to ask if i have a problem because i was really noisy and loud the whole time.

You know guys, the last time i had chills and so much attention given over a player was when Paradorn was playing, i even stayed awake late at night just to watch his matches live.

I do hope that Kei continue to do well and i know we all are here to support him.

Go Air Kei!

#32 ·
Hi Raf, nice to see you here. :wavey:

MTF just granted Kei a forum during US Open, unfortunately the day he lost to Del Potro. :lol:

Anyhow, he's definitely a fast rising tennis player, hope he could maintain all the momentum and break into Top 10 in the soonest time. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.