Mens Tennis Forums banner

° Albert Montañés °

34K views 160 replies 33 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
#53 ·
Albert had a dissapointing year in the SA clay court swing, losing in the 1st round of all 4 tourneys he played in :sad:. If he had fulfilled his seeding he would be number 26 at the moment. He played well in IW and Miami beating Florent Serra 6-3 6-0 and Stefan Koubek 6-4 7-6. He lost to Murray and Phau in the 2nd round of both. He played really well against Murray. He couldn't move well in the Phau match, but credit to Phau for playing well. He had to retire trailing 4-6 0-2 to the German.

Now he's back on clay and has defeated Reda el Amrani and Santiago Ventura. He will face Frederico Gil in the QFs. If you ask me he has a very good chance of winning this title if he plays his best. He is a top 15 clay courter at his best. Vamos Albert!!!! :D

#57 ·
Montanes giving Blake the run for his money. Com'n Albert :yeah:

#60 ·
Albert out of Stuttgart with injury :sad: Get well soon Champ.

#61 ·
Bad luck he got injured in the final of Scheveningen challenger :sad:. He has to defend a lot of points from tournament Amersfoort this week, which he won last year and which doesn't excist anymore. It's not fair !!! I hope he is able to play next week in Hamburg and wins a few (or more) rounds. :kiss:

#63 ·
Bucharest Semi final Albert Montañes def Santiago Ventura 4-6, 6-4 y 6-1
Come On Albert for the second title in the 2009 season :rocker:

#64 ·
ATP World Tour No. 53 Albert Montanes won his second ATP World Tour title of the season after edging third seed Juan Monaco 7-6(2), 7-6(6) Sunday in the final of the BCR Open Romania, an ATP World Tour 250 clay-court tennis tournament in Bucharest.

Montanes is the third Spanish player this season, together with Rafael Nadal (five titles) and Tommy Robredo (two titles), to win at least two ATP World Tour titles. He received 250 South African Airways 2009 ATP Ranking points and €71,700, while runner-up Monaco earned 150 Ranking points and €37,700 in prize money.

The 28-year-old Montanes also triumphed on clay at the Estoril Open in May, defeating World No. 8 Gilles Simon in the quarter-finals before saving two match points to beat No. 16 James Blake in the title match.

Barcelona-resident Montanes is the first Spaniard to win the BCR Open Romania title since David Sanchez lifted the trophy in 2003. Montanes himself had nearly claimed the title two years earlier, when he finished runner-up to Younes El Aynaoui on his tournament debut.

In their second ATP World Tour meeting, neither player was able to establish a break though in the first set. In the deciding tie-break it was Montanes who took the initiative, racing into a 5-1 lead before closing out the one-set lead 7-2.

World No. 37 Monaco hit back immediately, breaking to love early in the second set to open up a 3-0 lead. The Argentine had multiple set point opportunities in the eighth and 12th games to level the match, but could not convert as Montanes fought back to force a second tie-break.

In a closer tie-break, mini-breaks were exchanged early before Monaco created set point on his own serve at 6-5. Montanes was quick to level though and won the final two points of the match to prevail after two hours and 10 minutes. He had also defeated Monaco in straight sets on clay at the Movistar Open in 2006.

“I’m very happy with how the whole week has gone and I’m very happy as well to win the title here," said Montanes. "I was a bit lucky when I saved all those set points with 15-40 twice on my serve. That was a very important moment, I’m happy and lucky that I saved them."

Montanes improved to a 3-4 mark in ATP World Tour finals, with all of his final appearances coming on clay. The right-hander won his maiden ATP World Tour title at Amersfoort in 2008, defeating Steve Darcis in the final. He had finished runner-up in his first four ATP World Tour finals.

Monaco, who leads the ATP World Tour with 29 match wins on clay this season, was bidding to win his first title of the year. Earlier in the season he finished runner-up on clay at the Copa Telmex in Buenos Aires (l. to Robredo) and the Catella Swedish Open in Bastad (l. to Soderling).

“I’m a little bit disappointed but sport is like this. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose," lamented Monaco. "I have to keep working very hard to get better moments. That moment in the match when I almost won the second set, I need more focus and more rhythm on those points. I think I need to be more focused if I want to improve my tennis and win tournaments like this."

Since winning his first three ATP World Tour titles in 2007, the 25-year-old Monaco has lost five straight finals; he also finished runner-up at the Interwetten Austrian Open when it was held in Poertschach (l. to Davydenko) and the Movistar Open in Vina del Mar (W/O vs. Gonzalez) both last season. The Tandil native dropped to a 3-6 mark in ATP World Tour finals.

Come On Albert :rocker2:....................congrats for the third Title in your carrer :yeah:

#65 ·
Albert decided to skip Shanghai. I guess that's fine. He has no points to defend until around March next year :eek:

#74 ·
Albert won 6-4 6-3 and the match everyone has been waiting for this week has arrived, as Albert will be taking on Roger today in the semifinals. Hopefully he plays well, and if Roger continues to struggle, then he is in with a chance.

Hope you have a good performance, Albert, good luck!

#76 ·
Albert pulled off the major upset and biggest win of his career!!!!! Defeated Roger 6-2 7-6 (5) and is into the final of Estoril for the second straight season. He played solid in the match and, although he got nervous in the end, he stayed mentally strong and composed enough to win the match in the end. He plays the home crowd guy Frederico Gil tomorrow for his second straight title in Estoril.

Congrats Albert on the win and great week, hopefully you cap it off in style with a tournament victory, good luck!

#77 ·
He defeated The Fed :yippee: :woohoo: :dance: :banana:
:rocker: :bowdown: :worship: Sorry, but I get carried away when someone defeats The Fed :eek: I wasn't sure where Albert was from so I had to do a search for him! I might have known he was from Spain. I don't know how they do it, but they have soooooooooo many great tennis players :D I have never seen Albert, but Spain also has the best looking tennis players IMHO. And flyboy you seem to be everywhere on MTF :) :wavey:

#79 ·
Albert did it!!!!!!!!!! He defeated the local boy Gil 6-2 6-7 (4) 7-5 to win Estoril for the second straight season! The match was dramatic, intense, emotional and full of pressure and nerves. Albert was serving for the match at 5-3 in the second set and lost his serve. He then had an opportunity on Gil's service game and didn't take advantage. In the tiebreak, Gil played great tennis to send it to the third set. Gil got up 2 breaks of serve in the 3rd set playing amazing while Albert was a little deflated, but Albert fought back, and broke Gil 3 times in the 3rd set, including the final game, to get the victory in 2 hours and 33 minutes! Congratulations Albert on his 4th career title. An amazing guy, playing the best tennis of his career at 29. Great job, champ :yeah: :worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.