With some of the more unstable Fed fans invading our Andy space, I’m feeling like a naughty girl today. Let’s bait the Safinsluts, shall we?
If Safin thinks he’s got an easy comeback next year because Sampras isn’t around, he better think again. Look what he’s up against:
- a powerhouse Aussie with ice in his veins who’s been known to win matches that he should’ve lost by sheer will and determination alone.
- an audacious, nervy American with a dangerous forehand and a massive serve that sends his more fragile opponents to the infirmary. He’s had the gall to nail both Pete Sampras (!)
and his own best friend with that serve. No one is safe.
- a phalanx of Latino dirtballers who refuse to surrender the red clay to anybody.
- a Swiss dude that’s got even dead tennis legends creaming their pants over him for his “artistry” and all-court prowess.
- a short, bald, harmless-looking geezer who’s still got game and will be more than happy to serve your ass on a silver plate if you are foolhardy enough to dismiss him as being “past his prime”.
- an underrated German rugrat who tends to sneak up and beat the best players, leaving everyone stratching their heads afterwards and wondering what just happened.
- a Frenchfroggy who refuses to get off the court and let the big boys play unhindered. Seems to take particular joy in dismanteling a certain British chump.
And these are just the top seeds Safin would have to beat a path through . . .
And for the record, yes, I realize that Safin’s w-l record against many of these guys is excellent but those results were from the 2001-2002 season. These guys aren’t the same amateur players they once were and Safin has been out all year with injuries. I think he’ll be in for a shock when he sees how much has changed. The fact that he can’t believe that Roddick is No. 1 is a sign that he’s pretty much out of the loop these days.
So. Considering what Safin, Haas, and a few others making their play to come back in 2004 have to look forward to, do you think these guys stand a chance of getting back into the Top Ten?