Is Andy in a slump? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
View Poll Results: Is Andy in a Slump?
Yea, it's looking pretty grim for team Roddick. 8 21.62%
I wouldn't call it a slump but, he's underachieving for sure. 26 70.27%
Everything is peachy keen, and I happy with Andy's results so far in 05' 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:46 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

It's definitely a boy, he's wearing a tie! LOL

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 PM
La La Land
 
blosson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Andy hasn't lost a match to a nobody this year. He lost an exhibition to Roger, lost to Hewitt x 2, DC to Ljuby and got hurt x2. That's not so bad. All players he lost to are good top players.

You can't say that it's really bad, maybe just not good enough.

Last edited by blosson; 03-28-2005 at 08:07 PM.
blosson is offline  
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 07:54 PM
Banned!
 
adeegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 4,762
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago. I think he's in a minor slump, nothing too serious he'll be back to win a slam in the near future and prove a lot of people wrong.
adeegee is offline  
 
post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago.
The more I think about this, the more I agree. He needs to have FUN out there again.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 13,139
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
The more I think about this, the more I agree. He needs to have FUN out there again.
Red shorts and visors...Red shorts and visors...high fives for the crowd, silly antics, and rediculous trick shots for no reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Anyone who says any player has no chance against Dolgopolov is clearly trolling.
That's the gospel.
Fumus is offline  
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:21 PM
La La Land
 
blosson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,986
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

just a little interlude here

yay andre made it to the next round!
blosson is offline  
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:24 PM
(:
 
Tytta!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mayerland (:
Age: 29
Posts: 29,553
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

I watched that match... He actually had 12 aces
Tytta!. is offline  
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:25 PM
psychotic banana
 
J. Corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: jack in the box
Posts: 15,731
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

I choose the 2nd option. He's definitely underachieving in terms of results but he's literally been a few points away from having a great year. I know this may be assuming too much, but he really could have won the AO: He was up on Lleyton and if he had kept his normal cool in the TBs he could have won that...and then he has a decent record against Marat who could have OAFED enough for Andy to win (not that Andy can't beat a fully-mentally stable Safin ). We would then be talking about what an amazing year Andy has had lol.

So I think the results have been deceiving and Andy isn't in a slump. But his brain might be in one. Mentally he looks pretty bad and he hasn't turned that corner to bring back his confidence...which IMO won't happen until he gets that big win.

adeegee- Great point! It's like he expects the wins to come to him now and he's used to it...

Dent -

Like father, like son

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline  
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Banned!
 
ellehutton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: california
Age: 35
Posts: 19
       
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

the cure for a roddick slump?
bring back the VISOR back already, you know he loves it it so suited him and his personality...i dont know why he ever took it off i really did like brad gilbert but when he told andy to lose it he shold of told him to fuck off, you dont take fashion advise from someone who chooses to only ever wear black, that the rule come on metallica is not a fashion statment, i thought the visor was very fashion forward! (can u tell i miss it? )
ellehutton is offline  
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:26 PM
psychotic banana
 
J. Corwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: jack in the box
Posts: 15,731
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus
Red shorts and visors...Red shorts and visors...high fives for the crowd, silly antics, and rediculous trick shots for no reason.
That's what made me an Andy fan in the first place!

He toned it down in the 2nd half of 2003 but at least he was still winning mucho. lol

Like father, like son

"For seven and a half years I've worked alongside President Reagan. We've had triumphs. Made some mistakes. We've had some sex...uh...setbacks."
George H.W. Bush, 1988

"I know how hard it is for you to put food on your family."
George W. Bush, 2000

15.5 - 40.5 ... 2,1,1 demolition job
(fan club spots are still open! )
J. Corwin is offline  
post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Buenos Aires
Age: 27
Posts: 13,830
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

I wish a visor would get me to win GSs, beat Roger and play some amazing tennis... damn.

Just one thing, I don't really think the DC loss was his fault really. If there was anyone to blame I'd say the Bryans but...

Quote:
I think he needs to rediscover his passion for the game. It seems to have gone a little bit, you don't really see him as pumped up as he would get a few years ago.
Agreed

Quote:
I choose the 2nd option. He's definitely underachieving in terms of results but he's literally been a few points away from having a great year. I know this may be assuming too much, but he really could have won the AO: He was up on Lleyton and if he had kept his normal cool in the TBs he could have won that...and then he has a decent record against Marat who could have OAFED enough for Andy to win (not that Andy can't beat a fully-mentally stable Safin ). We would then be talking about what an amazing year Andy has had lol.

So I think the results have been deceiving and Andy isn't in a slump. But his brain might be in one. Mentally he looks pretty bad and he hasn't turned that corner to bring back his confidence...which IMO won't happen until he gets that big win.
Have I ever told you how much I love you Jace?
Carito_90 is offline  
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Last dance, Andy
 
tangerine_dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York New Englander
Posts: 25,456
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debstah
The more I think about this, the more I agree. He needs to have FUN out there again.
The pressure to remain No. 1 is enormous; more so than trying to get to No. 1. People say he's in a slump now because he's down to No. 3. Career's over he should just pack it in, right?

Once you reach the top, a whole new set of pressures and problems arise. He probably never saw it coming and the adjustment has been tough. I'm more concerned that his game is improving (which it has); his pizza love handles disappearing (which they have); and he stays healthy (2 injuries, eh, at least they're not serious). But as we saw at AO, Andy clearly does not believe in himself or his game as much as he used to.

I can only imagine the turmoil Roger must be in. He's winning but he's still not looking like his old self out there.

Congrats to Andy Roddick, 2017 Hall of Fame!

"I beat him the last time. He's lucky I retired." — Andy Roddick on RF


Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline  
post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Well then Andy has to find some way to put the pressure out of his head, because when he plays loosely with no expectations he plays freely. The one tournament he's played like that at, as far as I can tell, in the past couple years, is Thailand last year. And it makes sense - he was just honoring a commitment and was so jet-lagged that he had no expectations for himself so he ended up just swinging freely and made the finals. He's gotta be able to do that.

I think his slump is minor and it's all mental. I still believe it has partly to do with the fact that his game has come a long way that he is not fully confident in it yet. If this really is the case, his will come along shortly, when he keeps putting the new stuff into play in big matches, he will believe in it more and at the big moments he will come through.

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:19 PM
Banned!
 
adeegee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Age: 33
Posts: 4,762
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Oh god no I didn't mean bring back the visor.

Just that recently I haven't seen him get properly pumped up like he used to. I liked it when he used to get properly emotional, have arguments with umpires, fist pumping, playing through injuries etc.

About a year ago I would've said I had never though Andy had tried anything less than 100% during a match. Now I'm not so sure.

Matches like Mutis at the French Open where he really should've won easily, then seemed to get himself in a bit of a rut and just didn't seem to bother in the 5th set. Johansson at the US Open, I would've expected him to get extremely excited about coming back from 2 sets down to 2-2, but then he just seemed to lie back and somehow managed to lose the match. Then the DC Final, he seems so passionate about it but then against Nadal he seemed to stop chasing balls for long periods. I understand he gets frustrated on clay but I never thought I'd see it.

I want more of the old Roddick back, like the Chang match at the French Open 99 I think. Or the Hewitt at the 2001 US Open. Or the Nalbandian 2003 US Open. To be honest, if Andy went 2 sets down against anyone I just wouldn't fancy his chances, I'm not sure if fitness is a worry (I don't think so but last year he lost 5 setters in 3 of the slams) I just don't see the fighting spirit as strong as it used to be. There were signs he was back to his old self against Hewitt last week though.
adeegee is offline  
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: Is Andy in a slump?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
Oh god no I didn't mean bring back the visor.
Thank Carlos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
Just that recently I haven't seen him get properly pumped up like he used to. I liked it when he used to get properly emotional, have arguments with umpires, fist pumping, playing through injuries etc.
I know what you mean, I agree. It's that razor-sharp look in his eyes, the killer instinct type of thing. he doesn't always have it anymore He doesn't have the tall, confident swagger either

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
About a year ago I would've said I had never though Andy had tried anything less than 100% during a match. Now I'm not so sure.


Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
Matches like Mutis at the French Open where he really should've won easily, then seemed to get himself in a bit of a rut and just didn't seem to bother in the 5th set. Johansson at the US Open, I would've expected him to get extremely excited about coming back from 2 sets down to 2-2, but then he just seemed to lie back and somehow managed to lose the match. Then the DC Final, he seems so passionate about it but then against Nadal he seemed to stop chasing balls for long periods. I understand he gets frustrated on clay but I never thought I'd see it.
Not much to say about the Mutis and Johansson matches except gee, thanks for dragging them up again .... the DC Final, I think he really had nothing left to give in that match, he was cramping a little, it was very cold, the clay was very slow, I do think he was physically tired in that match. From all accounts, he didn't give up there, he just had nothing more to give. That was just my take on that particular match. I think the fact that he fought very hard in the Hewitt match at IW is a good sign, at least, I hope it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adeegee
I want more of the old Roddick back, like the Chang match at the French Open 99 I think. Or the Hewitt at the 2001 US Open. Or the Nalbandian 2003 US Open. To be honest, if Andy went 2 sets down against anyone I just wouldn't fancy his chances, I'm not sure if fitness is a worry (I don't think so but last year he lost 5 setters in 3 of the slams) I just don't see the fighting spirit as strong as it used to be. There were signs he was back to his old self against Hewitt last week though.
It was 2001 French Open, but I know what you mean. But then, he had nothing to lose... now he does, and tangy made good points in that respect. Somehow he has to find a balance. The thing with the Johansson match at the USO is that he NEVER should have even BEEN down 2 sets to love. Once he started playing to his capabilities hew blew Johansson away in the two sets he had won - if he had come out like that from the start, he would've won that match in 3 or 4 sets relatively easily. I don't think fitness is a factor for him at all, not physical fitness anyway. That one DC match aside, I don't remember the last time I've seen him on court looking physically tired.

Like you said, let's just hope the fight he showed at the Hewitt match (and also the Moya match, after a weird tiebreak like that, the older immature Andy probably would've spazzed out at that... and also the way he fought through some of the smaller matches in San Jose where he was really struggling!) is a sign that he's taking a step in the right direction

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome