Juan Martín del Potro, from Tandil to the 'Top 10'
Exclusive interview of La Prensa with JMDP, argentinian tennis player and classified number 6 in the world.
DP is playing BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, California.
He is 20 years old, was born in Tandil, Argentina, he is the youngest player in ATP's 'Top 10'.
La Prensa talked to DP to know his human side, to know how is he out of the tennis court.
- What do you do to pass the time when you're not playing tennis?
- Well... I rest. Justly in this tournament there's a lot of golf courts and we advantage time to play a bit. Or visit the city, do a little shopping... or just rest, is well.
- Do you spent time on the internet? What are your favorite pages?
- Yes, yes, I'm pretty... My favorite pages? Boca, always to see how everything is.
- Yes... La Nación... I try not to... not to enter newspapers that often, i keep me informed with everything going... but i mostly use MSN or stuff to talk with my friends and my family.
- There is a lot of facebook pages with your name... one of them have more that 22000 fans, is that yours?
- No... I have no idea...
- There is a lot of Del Potros, but one of them has more than 22,000 fans. It has pictures of you and Palermo in Boca Stadium and stuff like that, very nice. Well, it was curiosity, because they are many of them.
- Do you like reading? What do you read?
- Yes... i read, i read... well... now i read a lot of leadership books, those interest me, that kind of stuffs, also economy... me and my coach are interested a lot in that.
- Music... what kind of music do you like and what are your favorite bands?
- My favorite band is Maná. I like Shakira too. Well, U2, Coldplay... they are bands that i like a lot.
- What is your ish or favorite food?
- Asado . The asado... no doubtttttt.
- You don't doubt?
- Are you a sea person or mountain person?
- Sea... jfkdjfs beach. (didn't understand that part xD)
- Next one... who is your best friend on the circuit?
- I have several... Mónaco... well, Zabaleta, Máximo Gonzalez, they are my best friends in the circuit.
- Next... what is your favorite surface?
- Which has been your most emotional victory?
- Semi final, turning point, Davis Cup.
- Against Russia right?
- Against Andreev.
- What tournament you would like to win more than any other?
- US Open.
- What is your favorite destination in the circuit? Not because of the tournament, because of what's around. The city, the golf courts, i don't know, what is your favorite destination?
- I don't know... a city like Miami or i don't know... where they play a lot of fútbol and have good stadiums.
- Who was your idol when you were a kid?
- Safin and Hewitt.
- They are still there...
- What does Tandil have? Good players come from there... Is something you eat? Is the water? Mónaco, Junqueira, you...
- Gonzalez... i think there are two girls in WTA.
- The coaches... they are very good... and is a city with good conditions to train good, especially when you're young.
- What would make you happier? If you were only a spectator... Boca winning Libertadores or Argentina winning Copa Davis?
- What a question... I don't know... tennis spectator?
- Well... you're right. If it's football is Boca, but both are your life right? Boca and tennis are your passions.
- I like more football than tennis...
- To watch?
- To watch... exactly.
- I agree. And the last one... I name you ATP players and you say the first word that comes to your mind... NADAL...
- The best.
- The most intelligent.
- Lot of power.
Interview by Enrique Carrión.
"We can't always agree on everything."
Last edited by david_is_not_fat; 02-14-2015 at 09:12 PM.