Mens Tennis Forums banner

Hingis handed two-year suspension ''Evidence Overwhelming'' G.U.I.L.T.Y

1K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  Mimi 
#1 ·
Former world number one Martina Hingis has been handed a two-year ban after being found guilty of a doping offence.
The 27-year-old Swiss star was found to have tested positive for cocaine while competing at Wimbledon last year.

The International Tennis Federation has rejected Hingis's appeal and handed out a ban starting on 1 October, 2007.

Hingis, who has since retired from the sport, has also had to forfeit ranking points and prize money from Wimbledon and any subsequent tournaments.

The five-time Grand Slam winner, who returned a positive result from a routine urine sample taken after losing to Laura Granville in the third round of the Championships, had previously insisted she was "100% innocent".

She claimed that her innocence was backed up by a negative result on a hair test, which can show whether or not someone has taken cocaine.

606: DEBATE
What do you make of Hingis's revelation?

Last November, her agent Mario Widmer told BBC Sport: "She will be fighting this, of course. You can be clear about that."

However, a statement from the ITF said: "Following a two-day hearing in December 2007, an independent anti-doping tribunal found that a sample provided by Ms Hingis on 29 June 2007 at the Wimbledon Championships had tested positive for a metabolite of cocaine.

"The tribunal rejected the suggestion made on behalf of Ms Hingis that there were doubts about the identity and/or integrity of the sample attributed to her.

"The tribunal also rejected Ms Hingis's plea of no (or no significant) fault or negligence, on the basis that no mitigation was possible as it had not been shown how the cocaine entered her system."

Hingis, who spent three years out of the sport before returning in 2006, won 43 WTA singles titles during her career.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7077525.stm

#5 ·
I love that this WTA article is in 'non-tennis'.

Reactions: Tom Paulman
#19 ·
The trace amount of cocaine that was in Martina was so little. She could have touched an envelope or piece of paper with cocaine on it to get the amount that she had. If she was tested by the US Military she would be more than 3 times under the amount that would raise concern.

It's ridiculous, the ITF likes making examples whether it be ATP or WTA. The bigger the name the better and harder the accusations.

#21 ·
out of curiosity and to kill time, i read briefly the judgment, if i did not miss, seems she did not produce the negative hair test which she claimed? so in my opinion, she did take the cocaine

but forgive my ignorance, her lawyer said the small amount of cocaine may get into her system by touching monie notes, how could this be :confused:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.