Originally Posted by Rusty Backhand
It's a brutal baptism for rookie Rogers Cup tournament director Grant Connell.
Only days after he held a media conference in Toronto to trumpet this year's field, headlined by Wimbledon finalists Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, reports circulated that Nadal planned to take a pass on the event.
Well, it seems, Rusty Backhand
, that Nadal might be there ! Good news but we will wait for the official confirmation
The article is from the Globe and Mail (Toronto) and was already posted on another thread by Mallorn
Nadal will play in Toronto, source says
The Rogers Cup in Toronto next month could still be on track for a repeat of the Roger Federer-Rafael Nadal finals at the French Open and Wimbledon.
A reliable source told The Globe and Mail that, as of yesterday, Nadal will play in the Rogers Cup from Aug. 7 to 13. Last week, a Spanish newspaper reported that Nadal would skip the Canadian event and just play the ATP Masters Series event in Cincinnati as preparation for the U.S. Open, which will begin on Aug. 28.
Nadal defeated Andre Agassi in last year's Rogers Cup final in Montreal and is currently ranked No. 2 behind Federer.
"From day one, it was a rumour," Grant Connell, the tournament director of the Rogers Cup, said yesterday when asked about Nadal's change of heart. "I was never actually discouraged, because I really believed he'd show up."
So Nadal, 20, appears set for the Rogers Cup.
Connell is optimistic. "Based on conversations I've had, I'm still confident he'll be here," he said. "I hope we'll be able to announce it soon."