Mens Tennis Forums banner

Michael McClune

8K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  SapELee 
#1 ·
Michael McClune, who won the National Championship last month, won his first Futures event today, beating compatriot Tim Smyczek 6-4, 6-2. He dropped only one set in the tournament. In the process, he defeated U.S. Junior Open champion Ricardas Berkankis 6-4, 6-2.

This is his second consecutive good week. Last week he lost in the semis to Carsten Ball, who he beat 6-2, 6-1 this time around.

McClune just turned 18 last month.

Here's a picture of him:

See less See more
#2 ·
That is an impressive win for McClune. Thanks for posting the info here SHB. :)

#4 ·
:yeah: always good to see a new young american having some good results. Thanks SHB!

#8 ·
ah cool thanks :) Looking forward to being able to see him play!

#9 ·
McClune will face Donald Young in the second round of the Sacramento Challenger after beating Christopher Lam 6-1, 6-1. This will be a good measuring stick for him. Young beat McClune 7-6(3), 6-1 in the QF of the 2006 National Championship. The winner will probably face Querrey in the QF. McClune has never been beyond the second round of a Challenger, of which he's played four (excluding this one).

Since winning his first pro title a few weeks back, he's lost in the QF and SF of two Futures events, both times to compatriot Nikita Kryvonos.

#10 ·
I enjoyed watching him play today. He has a smooth, classic looking service motion that made me think of Pete Sampras (but it's not really similar).

#12 ·
Michael McClune

Would see him at Top 150 next year.

#13 ·
I found this article that briefly discusses the Young-McClune match from last week. It sounds like the two are pretty supportive of each other. I like to see that.

http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/428665.html

Querrey, Young and McClune are considered potential top-10 players. McClune said Young "can go all the way (to No. 1). He has the talent, skill and game."

Young is only one month older than McClune but has far more experience. Young turned pro at 14 -- perhaps unprecedented for a male player -- and McClune did so in April.

Thursday, in the first meeting between the two players as pros and second overall (Young is 2-0), the 6-foot-2 McClune displayed more power, but the 5-9 Young was steadier.

"He's a big guy with a big serve and forehand," Young said. "I hope he's the guy with me winning matches (in the future)."

#14 ·
McClune won his second pro title today by defeating Carsten Ball 6-7(0), 6-4, 6-3 in USA F26 Futures. So that's two wins in his last four Futures with QF and SF appearances sandwiched between the two wins.

He's playing another Futures event this week.

#15 ·
EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

#19 ·
This is a big win for him. I feel bad for Zack, but I am so pleased for Michael.

#20 ·
Nice start for Michael. He got to make big run next year

#22 ·
I think he has one of the nicest service motions I've ever seen. I told him so in Sacramento. I fangirl for his serve. ;)

#25 ·
Keep it up Mike!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.