Mens Tennis Forums banner

News & Articles Part 3 - The Return of the Yeti

812K views 5K replies 207 participants last post by  flender 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#113 ·
Re: News & Articles - Yeti Premonitions

Safin makes unimpressive return in Moscow
By Gennady Fyodorov

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Marat Safin made an unimpressive return to tennis after a self-imposed six-week layoff, struggling to beat qualifier Denis Matsukevich in the Kremlin Cup first round on Tuesday.

The former world number one, who has not played since losing in the second round of the U.S. Open, finally prevailed 7-6 7-5 against his 422nd-ranked compatriot.

"I thought he would be scared playing me on centre court," Safin said of Matsukevich, who was making his professional debut on the ATP Tour.

"But I guess he wasn't, at least not until the tiebreak. He served well and was solid from the baseline. He gave me a harder time than I was expecting," said a visibly tired Safin, sweat pouring down his face.

The powerful Russian was given a wildcard into the Moscow indoor tournament after struggling with form and injuries since winning his last title at the 2005 Australian Open.

SCALING MOUNTAINS

He took a break from the game to refresh himself and was scaling mountains in the Himalayas last month.
He said of his trip: "At least I've done something I wanted to do all my life. It was tough for a beginner like me but next time I have a chance, I'll try to be more prepared."

Earlier, Safin's Davis Cup team mate, Nikolay Davydenko, began his Kremlin Cup title defence in workmanlike fashion, dispatching unseeded Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 7-6 6-2.

The opening set went with serve until the tiebreak which the top seed won 7-0 before easing through the second.

"It took me a few games to adjust and he was serving well, so it was hard to break him in the first set," said the Russian world number four, who has been nursing a wrist injury.

"My wrist is still giving me problems. It was painful for the first 10 minutes of the match and I had to play through it."

Davydenko, who beat Safin in last year's final, is hoping for another good showing in Moscow to secure a place in the season-ending Masters Cup in Shanghai next month.

Fourth seed Paul-Henri Mathieu, who won the first title of his career here in 2002, also moved swiftly into the second round with a 6-2 6-2 victory over fellow Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean.
~Source~

#132 ·

Couldn't find a Madrid thread but here's the horrible draw...

http://www.tennis-masters-madrid.com/pdf/draws/2007/MDS.pdf

Marat is playing Karlovic in the first round :eek: I'm hoping he'll be too knackered after his exploits in Stockholm but I think that's being over-optimistic. Should he then get through he plays Davydenko..marvellous.

Wish he was playing doubles.

#134 ·

Ok. Some of you have lost vcash.

Can I just remind everyone that there is a thread SPECIFICALLY for:

ANY NEWS INVOLVING ANY FEMALES SITTING IN CLOSE PROXIMITY TO MARAT. otherwise known as the potential girlfriends and wives thread.

I'm not going to tell anyone to stop posting trashy articles from tabloids as yet. But if this is going to continue and this forum heads towards becoming a tabloid trumpeting forum, then I might just do that. There's been an increase in such articles in recent weeks/months and if this continues. I'll put a stop to it completely. There are player forums on MTF that disallows GF/companion talks of any kind and much as I'd like to follow their example as well, I think we don't need to resort to that AS YET. But if the situation deteriorates, I might change my mind.

Please also be reminded that despite it's current name, the GF thread HAS ALWAYS BEEN AND STILL IS a thread to discuss marat's CURRENT girlfriend, if any.

#137 ·

MARAT HAS DECIDED TO END HIS SEASON AND WILL NOT PLAY ANY MORE TOURNAMENTS THIS YEAR.

Thursday 18 October 2007

Marat was not very happy with his standard of play at the Madrid Masters and has decided after discussion with his coach Hernan Gumy and his management that it would be better to finish his 2008 season now. His mountain adventure which he thoroughly enjoyed, took him out of his rythm and also left him with no energy. He thought he was ready coming back in Moscow but found that the stress of playing back to back tournaments was too much and his body just was not ready to cope with it. He thought he could play at a good level but it didn't happen.

He will take some time off to get his energy levels back and then in 3 weeks time will meet with his coach and they will spend a long period of practice time in Valencia - cleaning up his game and working hard on his approach, his work ethic and his general attitude to the year ahead. The intention is to be ready for the Australian season. Marat knows his ranking will drop but feels it is better to get himself ready for the new season rather than push at this stage.

He will not play in the Davis Cup Final in the US. Basically the Davis Cup team left it up to him to make the decision and Marat decided that right now there are 4 better players than him who are in form and can make sure they play to the best of their ability for Russia. Recently Davydenko won Moscow again and Tursunov won in Bangkok - both on hardcourts which is the surface that the Final will be played on. Marat was proud to be involved in the run up to the Final and has every faith in his fellow players that they will perform to their very best ability for Russia and make it a hard contest against the US.

Marat would like to say thank you to all his fans for their love and support this year through the difficult times and hopes they will continue to support him as he strives to find the level he needs to play well again.

#138 ·

Oh come on now, wtf.

"His mountain adventure which he thoroughly enjoyed, took him out of his rythm and also left him with no energy."

Oh please, wasn't he full of energy last week, according to himself?
Instead of making this poor webmaster of his embarass herself again and again he should just shut up and get his act together.

PLUS he was only out for a week or something, I beg you! How unfit is that man?

#141 ·

cleaning up his game and working hard on his approach, his work ethic and his general attitude to the year ahead.

wow.......so this means he admits that it's bad?
How does one work on one's work ethic? Good luck Gumy!

#165 ·

I have a feeling that he doesn't know himself if he will return next year or not. Or worse, he wanted to quit but his people persuaded him to take a break and decide later.
I would agree with this. Who knows what's going on but I think the telling thing will be if and when he does go to Valencia and how long/how hard he practises there. Perhaps he'll play that exhibition match in Argentina or wherever it was that was mentioned and see how he feels then although probably unlikely.
Hate the thought of him retiring and personally think the balance lies in favour of him coming back next year and seeing how he does then. He has looked completely knackered since coming down the mountain and whatever he does in the next few weeks/months I hope it's constructive in some way and keeps him reasonably fit.

#154 ·

:awww: see ya in '08 Marat :wavey: ... ... ... hopefully *fingers crossed*

#156 ·

well. I hope he really takes the time to decide what he really wants. whether he comes back or not isn't really the most important issue with me (yes, I'm a baaad baaad fan, and it's probably the 2nd most important issue with me), but what's most important is that he's doing whatever he does for the right reasons and motivation. and because he really wants it.

I think I'm starting to repeat myself :sad:

#157 ·

well. I hope he really takes the time to decide what he really wants. whether he comes back or not isn't really the most important issue with me (yes, I'm a baaad baaad fan, and it's probably the 2nd most important issue with me), but what's most important is that he's doing whatever he does for the right reasons and motivation. and because he really wants it.

I think I'm starting to repeat myself :sad:
I agree with u...I might sound pathetic, but i just want him to be happy (!!!) seems like he's sad those times on a tennis court and it's killing me to see him like this....So he should take the time to think of what he really wants! and as good fans, we will have to respect his decision...But i really think, he won't retire this year...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.