Need a Racket for a total newbie - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Age: 27
Posts: 2
 
Need a Racket for a total newbie

OK I just wanted to say I am a total noob when it comes to playing tennis, and I have decided to buy tennis gear but i would like someone to advice me. I m about 6 3 guy and i weigh about 58 kgs(which makes me underweight i know) i dont think im very weak or anything so it needs not be very light but still i would prefer a light racquet. and i would also like some advice on tennis trainers(shoes) and some other stuff that i might need.


peace
boxingfan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 08:07 PM
Registered User
 
jazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Age: 27
Posts: 7,354
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

normally a beginner would tend towards an oversize racket, which is going to be easier to use and more forgiving
jazar is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Registered User
 
dunlopkickserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 242
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Get the new Wilson Prostaff.
dunlopkickserve is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Registered User
 
Ozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,213
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Prince Ozone Seven is great for beginners

princetennis.com - you can check out all of their rackets their

TT 2015 w/chowdahead25: Estoril, Bucharest, and Auckland Champions
Miami Finals
COLLEGE TENNIS SUB-FORUM

BAGHDATIS | FEDERER | DANCEVIC | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO

JOHN | KRAJICEK | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | STEVO |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock and Kendo Forever
Ozone is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
dunlopkickserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 242
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozone View Post
Prince Ozone Seven is great for beginners

princetennis.com - you can check out all of their rackets their
yuck! Skip prince the o ports are junk. You should stick to something like head or wilson when you begin, and then experiment with more specialized companies like yonex, dunlop, technifibre, prince (i don't know why anyone would after they began producing this junk),and balboat once you figure out how you play and what you like as far as balance, head size/shape and technology.
dunlopkickserve is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Registered User
 
jazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Age: 27
Posts: 7,354
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
yuck! Skip prince the o ports are junk. You should stick to something like head or wilson when you begin, and then experiment with more specialized companies like yonex, dunlop, technifibre, prince (i don't know why anyone would after they began producing this junk),and balboat once you figure out how you play and what you like as far as balance, head size/shape and technology.
you're wrong there. prince rackets are actually great for beginners. the speedports increase the size of the sweetspot, making them easier to use for beginners. and they have been consistently voted the best frames on the market for game improvement.
jazar is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Registered User
 
dunlopkickserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 242
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

I probably am wrong. I just can't stand the way it feels when I hit. Its probably because I am more used to the "traditional" feel. To each his own.
dunlopkickserve is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 AM
Registered User
 
Ozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,213
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

And you play with dunlop? Exactly why your advice shouldn't be taken. Jazar is right, speedports make for big sweetspots, easy manueverability, and also really cool looks. For a beginner that is looking for a balance of power and control prince is the way too go. I have had prince rackets for about 8 years now, and I cant imagine not playing with it. However, I dont know much about other rackets, but I just love the infinite options of the O3 series.

TT 2015 w/chowdahead25: Estoril, Bucharest, and Auckland Champions
Miami Finals
COLLEGE TENNIS SUB-FORUM

BAGHDATIS | FEDERER | DANCEVIC | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO

JOHN | KRAJICEK | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | STEVO |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock and Kendo Forever
Ozone is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Registered User
 
dunlopkickserve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Age: 25
Posts: 242
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Dunlop has a prestigious history going all the way back to the days of McEnroe. Its a diverse company like wilson, and offers much more than tennis rackets. It is not as main stream as it used to be, but they still make some of the best rackets on the market. F*** off I am currently using technifibre. All prince offers are rackets for baseliners, they discontinued their only respectable frame Diablo.They mainly offer baseline sticks that anyone can use, but they fail to produce anything remarkably special. Look at the amount of advertising they have to use to sell their frames. "Show us your O face" they are using sex to sell tennis rackets.
dunlopkickserve is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 08:19 AM
Registered User
 
jazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Age: 27
Posts: 7,354
                     
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
I probably am wrong. I just can't stand the way it feels when I hit. Its probably because I am more used to the "traditional" feel. To each his own.
i dislike the prince frames as well, but it doesnt stop me from recommending or selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlopkickserve View Post
Dunlop has a prestigious history going all the way back to the days of McEnroe. Its a diverse company like wilson, and offers much more than tennis rackets. It is not as main stream as it used to be, but they still make some of the best rackets on the market. F*** off I am currently using technifibre. All prince offers are rackets for baseliners, they discontinued their only respectable frame Diablo.They mainly offer baseline sticks that anyone can use, but they fail to produce anything remarkably special. Look at the amount of advertising they have to use to sell their frames. "Show us your O face" they are using sex to sell tennis rackets.
prince have actually just brought back the graphite and the rebel, which were and will again be two immensely popular players frames
jazar is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 AM
Registered User
 
Dirty Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Age: 43
Posts: 27
 
Re: Need a Racket for a total newbie

Having played Prince racquets for years I have nothing bad to say about them. I would say to go with Prince as a new player only because of the large sweet spot. They make some of the largest racquets out there. I think the O3 silver or platinum is like 120 sq inches or something crazy like that. That is huge and I would imagine very forgiving. Like I said, having played with Prince for a while I still like the company and always will. It seems though that as you get better and more comfortable hitting, you want more from your racquet and for that reason, I switched to HEAD. You gotta first know what you like about the game then find a racquet that will help bring that out of you
Dirty Bert is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome