Re: Good gym program for tennis?
I have to disagree with many people here, respectfully of course.
In tennis, every single muscle in your body in utilized, or ought to be utilized, into every single shot. Ergo, one must work every muscle in your body. My 6 day schedule (make sure you get 1 day of rest) goes like this:
First, you must play, and your diet must be good. I go:
Upon waking, a protein shake, as well as a multi-vitamin. I use Equate, Men's One Daily. Then, carbs. I have myself a cup of pasta along with some fruits like strawberries or blueberries and some carrots and celery. 2 hours after eating, hit the courts. Stretch, stretch, stretch. Full body stretch, stretch every single muscle. Work on your game for 2-3 hours.
Then, after playing, stretch again. Then, go home, eat some more carbs. I eat cereal and a bagel. One hour after that, hit the gym. I have a 3 day rotation in the gym.
Days 1 and 4: Shoulder
I have a shoulder injury, and I use a resistance band.
1. Scapula Retraction Pulldown, 2 sets of 30
2. Scapula Retraction Midpull, 2 sets of 30
3. Scapula Retraction Up, 2 sets of 30
4. Left Up External Pull, 2 sets of 30
5. Right Up External Pull, 2 sets of 30
6. Left Internal Pulldown, 2 sets of 30
7. Right Internal Pulldown, 2 sets of 30
8. Left External Pullout, 2 sets of 30
9. Right External Pullout, 2 sets of 30
10. Table Pushups, 2 sets of 30
11. Wall Pushups, 2 sets of 30
12. Scapula Retraction while on belly, 2 sets of 30
13. Wall Subscap Press Right, 20 reps of 10 seconds
14. Wall Subscap Press Left, 20 reps of 10 seconds
Now, on Days 2 and 5, I do Lower Body:
1. Deadlifts, 3 sets of 8-12
2. Squats, 3 sets of 8-12
3. Calf Down, 3 sets of 8-12
4. Calf Up, 3 sets of 8-12
5. Reverse Calf Up, 3 sets of 8-12
6. Incline Situps (while holding 15 pounds), 3 sets of 8-12
7. Hamstring Machine, 3 sets of 8-12
8. Hanging Leg Raise with 8 pound weight between feet, 3 sets of 8-12
9. Hip in machine, 3 sets of 8-12
10. Hip out machine, 3 sets of 8-12
11. Left side bend, 3 sets of 8-12
12. Right side bend, 3 sets of 8-12
On days 3 and 6, I do upper body:
1. Left wrist twist, 3 sets of 8-12
2. Right wrist twist, 3 sets of 8-12
3. Right wrist curl up, 3 sets of 8-12
4. Left wrist curl up, 3 sets of 8-12
5. Left wrist curl down, 3 sets of 8-12
6. Right wrist curl down, 3 sets of 8-12
7. Bench Press, 3 sets of 8-12
8. Decline pushup, 3 sets of 8-12
9. Lat Machine, 3 sets of 8-12
10. Triceps Pushdown, 3 sets of 8-12
11. Right bicep curl, 3 sets of 8-12
12. Left bicep curl, 3 sets of 8-12
Then, after the gym, head home and drink a double protein shake as well as 3 eggs as well as some carbs, like cereal. Then, for the rest of the night, eat 3 packets of tuna, fruits and veggies, and a final casein protein shake before bed.
Yes, it is a lot of work, but if you wish to be great, much work must be done.
Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Last edited by Johnny Groove; 03-10-2013 at 10:17 PM.