A player's stroke you tried to copy? - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 31
Posts: 7,309
                     
A player's stroke you tried to copy?

When I had to start playing left handed, I found that copying Nadal's forehand and service stance very beneficial to my game. In particular, coming around the outside of the ball on the forehand and pointing my toes more towards the centre of the court (on the deuce serve). I think Nadal's game is very good for me to copy because we are both natural right handers and your balance and strength is different to someone who is naturally left handed.

It got me thinking, have you ever tried to copy a professionals stroke? If so, which stoke of which player? Did it work out for you?

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Kokkinakis will be the most successful player born in the 90s.
n8 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Registered User
 
Tutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,155
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Serena's serve and Novak's backhand -- because they're both technical perfection. Serena's serve is something I copied from a young age and my serve is one of my best shots, but Novak's backhand is a much more recent thing so i'm not sure if it will be as effective.


Sarin's serve.


Novak's backhand. Don't pay attention to his disgusting slice.


WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP

Last edited by Tutu; 07-11-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Tutu is offline  
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
alansk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Age: 34
Posts: 5,345
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Berasategui forehand

Ruined me, it did.
alansk is offline  
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Registered User
 
coonster14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,361
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Yes, and just letting you know that I use a Wilson K-Factor. I was born left handed, but then my parents trained me to be a righty from a very early age on, so I am a righty at tennis, how I often wished I was a southpaw.

Brace yourself for quite a long read SR. I have quite a history of copying different strokes from different tennis pros.

Up until 2005, I used a 2 handed backhand, but it was alright for me because I was still kind of short (5' 6.5"), and did not have good reach, so I needed 2 hands on the racquet for the backhand to defend. It had a natural feel about it for me.

Then I started growing real quickly, good lord, now I am 5' 11.5", then using a 2 handed backhand was just really awkward and uncomfortable, so I practiced for hours using 1 handed backhand, finally, after so much practice and persistence, it all started clicking.

I first started to copy Federer's one handed topspin backhand since 2006, and I admit I have a lot of success with that shot ever since then. Most people I play against said it is like a carbon copy, but of course, I am sure Federer gets much more rpm's than what I do.

Same goes with the sliced backhand, opponents tell me after the match that once it hits the ground, it just dips away really quickly and they have difficulty in picking up the shot.

Forehand- depends on the ball I get, opponents tell me when it bounces between chest and shoulder high, it is like a righty's Nadal forehand, but if it is below chest height, then I hit the forehand like Agassi.

Net game- I love watching Andy Murray up at net, he has great feel, too bad he does not come in more often, so I have tried to copy his style, but nah it's not really working out

Serve- trying to copy Del Potro/Murray service actions, need to watch more of their matches

NOLE - RAFA - ROGER - DELPO - MUZZA - TSONGA

Also supporting: Rusty, Pics, Nalby, Nando, Baggy, Kei, Isner, Blake, Kolya, Berdych, Richie, Soderling, Gil

Ana - Wozzy - Vika - Kimmy - Makiri

AGASSI,RAFTER,SAFIN
coonster14 is offline  
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,514
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Fed's FH.
paseo is offline  
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
leng jai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Oxford (at heart)
Age: 28
Posts: 23,671
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

I tried Nadull's slice and the ball went over the fence. It was my last ball

WARNING: This signature may contain extreme traces of bullying and glory hunting
TOMMY HASS
0 slams () and 0 finals
0 consecutive weeks at world no. 1
0 consecutive Laureus World Sports Awards
0 times qualified for YEC
3-13 H2H against Rogi Featherer
0-5 H2H against Rafito Nadal
Career low ranking: 1,241 (26.06.1995)
0 fake mullets flaunted in Roland Garros finals.
0 double bagels consumed against Raonic on grass
1 first name in common with Tommy Robredo
leng jai is offline  
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered User
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 44,867
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Berdych's FH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
I tried Nadull's slice and the ball went over the fence. It was my last ball

Berdych | Murray | Tsonga | Monfils | Raonic | Soderling
Certinfy is offline  
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Registered User
 
Machiavelli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Age: 30
Posts: 10,391
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Oscar Hernandez fh dropshot, pure orgasm...

Also Gaudio bh and his bh dropshot...

Alla ricerca di un piccolo grande amore....
Machiavelli is offline  
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered User
 
Dmitry Verdasco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,024
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Nadal BH The rest of my game is WTAmaze

MARTiNA HiNGiS
| 10 x Australian Open Champion | 2 x Roland Garros Champion |
| 5 x Wimbledon Champion | 4 x US Open Champion | 5 x YEC Champion |





• Nadal • Philippoussis • Gasquet • Tursunov • Nalbandian • Safin • Bolelli • Tomic • Borg •
• Kournikova • Dokic • Golovin • Dementieva • Myskina • Mirza • Pliskova • Gavrilova • Rubin • Pierce •
Dmitry Verdasco is offline  
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 AM
Registered User
 
henke007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,427
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Nole's DF.s

henke007 is offline  
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered User
 
alter ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 4,950
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Simon's pushing. And it works.
alter ego is offline  
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered User
 
Tutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,155
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
Simon's pushing. And it works.
Gilles isn't a pusher. Maybe you got him mixed up with Murray?


WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline  
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Registered User
 
alter ego's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Age: 28
Posts: 4,950
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Simon not a pusher ?
alter ego is offline  
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 31
Posts: 7,309
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonster14 View Post
Yes, and just letting you know that I use a Wilson K-Factor. I was born left handed, but then my parents trained me to be a righty from a very early age on, so I am a righty at tennis, how I often wished I was a southpaw.

Brace yourself for quite a long read SR. I have quite a history of copying different strokes from different tennis pros.

Up until 2005, I used a 2 handed backhand, but it was alright for me because I was still kind of short (5' 6.5"), and did not have good reach, so I needed 2 hands on the racquet for the backhand to defend. It had a natural feel about it for me.

Then I started growing real quickly, good lord, now I am 5' 11.5", then using a 2 handed backhand was just really awkward and uncomfortable, so I practiced for hours using 1 handed backhand, finally, after so much practice and persistence, it all started clicking.

I first started to copy Federer's one handed topspin backhand since 2006, and I admit I have a lot of success with that shot ever since then. Most people I play against said it is like a carbon copy, but of course, I am sure Federer gets much more rpm's than what I do.

Same goes with the sliced backhand, opponents tell me after the match that once it hits the ground, it just dips away really quickly and they have difficulty in picking up the shot.

Forehand- depends on the ball I get, opponents tell me when it bounces between chest and shoulder high, it is like a righty's Nadal forehand, but if it is below chest height, then I hit the forehand like Agassi.

Net game- I love watching Andy Murray up at net, he has great feel, too bad he does not come in more often, so I have tried to copy his style, but nah it's not really working out

Serve- trying to copy Del Potro/Murray service actions, need to watch more of their matches
Sucks you were made to play right . It's interesting what you say about backhands, I always thought that shorter people are more likely to prefer single handers but I guess under 5' 7" is really short (compared to most male adults) so it's probably different down that end of the scale. Sounds like you have very nice ground strokes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
Simon's pushing. And it works.
It's amazing how well pushing works against some players. In tournaments I often get too nervous to go for my shots so I just end up pushing. My very quick court speed and good anticipation combined with pushing can be enough to win some matches (even if it leaves me utterly exhausted and my opponent relatively OK). But it only works against players up to a certain level, if they can routinely hit powerful and accurate shots or are good at the net then I'm gone.

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Kokkinakis will be the most successful player born in the 90s.
n8 is offline  
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
Tutu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,155
                     
Re: A player's stroke you tried to copy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter ego View Post
Simon not a pusher ?
Sorry, but no.


WTA >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ATP
Tutu is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome