The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,392
                     
The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Great day for me today, had my best display in a tennis court since I started playing and achieved one of the few wins I have and the biggest one for sure.

I was playing against this guy from the university who claims to have been 3rd class in the State federation (although some people siad it was a lie and probably it was ) but he for sure have played way many more times than I had (this must have been like the 10th time I entered a tennis court). The bet was if I won 3 games in one of the sets he would pay me a lunch in the Bandejão (the Uni's lunch system) otherwise I would pay.

My confidence was good as I had hit with him for 10 minutes last week and realized I wasn't that worse than him, and today in the morning I did hit with another friend and my volleys were way better than the other times I played. First set went pretty equilibrated with many games going to deuce, but I took very bad deicisions in those moments and lost it 2-6, being 1 game away from winning the bet. I would have to win 3 games in the other set to get the $1,90 prize

As in the first set, I kept serving-and-volleying all the time (which is the most enjoyable way to play tennis that's for sure) and thing started to go to my side. I got pretty consistent with my first serves in and stopped missing the volleys. In my service games I think I went to the net more than 80% of the points, and in his service games I also tried to go to the net the faster I could. I opened an early lead of 4-0, won my bet and then I started to know the guy's personality.

All kind of excuses started to appear. He said he was extremely tired because he had hit with a million other people in the morning (as I hadn't hit in the 33ºC as well, did workout and had an intense swimming training session before playing). For me it was pretty clear he was desperate of losing to a much more unexperienced guy than him and many of our friends knew we would play, so it would get kinda embarrassing to him. I understand his side, but his overreactions were unbeliavable. He got the set closer to 4-3*, but I sticked to my gameplan and won it 6-3, which was already a big win for me. At this moment he had already smashed a racket (although he didn't break it) and after I clinched the set he threw one ball away of the court.

We started the match-tiebreak and when it was 2-2 he started to fake an sprained ankle. The sequency of facts after that were ridiculous if not funny. I won the following point on his serve, but he invented a bad call and we replayed the point (every time he tried to call the points to his side I kept cool and did what he said). I won it again and he almost felt in the floor claiming he could barely walk. I then served in the next point, made him run and won the point at the net, opening 4-2. He said he couldn't finished it and that we could finish another day. I said it was OK and started to hit with another friend. Amazingly, 10 minutes after that he said maybe he could finish our match.

He went back, I kept playing my game, opened 6-5 I guess, but he played some good points and opened 9-6. I saved 2 MP's serving-and-volleying and played a very good and brave point to save the third one. I wasted a couple of MP's as well, but finally clinched the win with 13-11. He simply threw the racket out of the court, almost hitting my friend and left the court very angry. I couldn't even believe in what I was seeing, never saw such a bad loser. I used to had good talks about tennis with him but I got very dissappointed after what he did today, it was ridiculous.

Anyway, thing is I'm very happy with the way I played today and with some good shots I was able to do, specially at the net. Although I'm way below the level of most amateur players, today I realized I can play against some guys better than me and feel a little bit of the excitement of tennis.

Sorry for the long text
Caio_Brasil is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:35 AM
Registered User
 
GustavoM_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 18,586
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

good one Caio

are u learning technique for groundstrokes from the back?
what about the serveS? u use any variation when u go to the net? or u simply run serve and run to the net

Gustavo Marcaccio David Nalbandian Jo-Jo Tsonga Marcos Baghdatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas kastoria View Post
HELlas ole ole
thanks felip for your help.i m priciate u friend
GustavoM_Fan is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,745
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

No way a third class would lost a set to someone who only plays tennis for less than one year. The guy was a great liar.
What I believe is that you might be playing well. Took any classes?
By the way, can u play with me next tuesday in the morning?

HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM
Ilovetheblues_86 is online now  
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,392
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoM_Fan View Post
good one Caio

are u learning technique for groundstrokes from the back?
what about the serveS? u use any variation when u go to the net? or u simply run serve and run to the net
I can hit the forehand not so bad but it can get much better, ball is a little bit high still and I 'm not sure if I can answer fast shots with it. backhand is pretty poor yet, I need to get some practice to improve it. thing is I don't have many time to play so I can't get a routine of practicing.

I don't use many variation, most of the times I just serve and run to the net sometimes I try to speed the serve up (I try the Roddick/Monfils motion, I got it easier than the traditional serve) and when it goes in it's pretty fast and it helps me, but most of the times I want to rush to the net I try to serve a little bit slower and deep.

I think I'll stick to this serve-and-volley game, no need to practice the background strokes that much
Caio_Brasil is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,392
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
No way a third class would lost a set to someone who only plays tennis for less than one year. The guy was a great liar.
What I believe is that you might be playing well. Took any classes?
By the way, can u play with me next tuesday in the morning?
Friday afternoon/night suits better for me... is this a good time for you?
Caio_Brasil is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:55 AM
Registered User
 
GustavoM_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Athens
Posts: 18,586
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
No way a third class would lost a set to someone who only plays tennis for less than one year. The guy was a great liar.
What I believe is that you might be playing well. Took any classes?
By the way, can u play with me next tuesday in the morning?

hey baster. i added u to msn but u dont appear

Gustavo Marcaccio David Nalbandian Jo-Jo Tsonga Marcos Baghdatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostas kastoria View Post
HELlas ole ole
thanks felip for your help.i m priciate u friend
GustavoM_Fan is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 02:59 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,745
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caio_Brasil View Post
Friday afternoon/night suits better for me... is this a good time for you?
In USP- CEPEUSP? Only from 19:30 and on.
Remember I work at the reitoria and next friday I will go to Barra Funda Forum at 16:00. If I finish the job before 17:30- 18:00 I can go back to USP until 19:00 and then get a bus back to Vila Madalena subway or Consolação avenue which is near my house.
Is it easy to catch a bus after 21:00 friday night? I suppose we will play for at least 1hour 30min//2 hours.

HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM
Ilovetheblues_86 is online now  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Registered User
 
Ilovetheblues_86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,745
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavoM_Fan View Post
hey baster. i added u to msn but u dont appear
Oh schett man I am always online you added me wrong probably add: ilovetheblues_86@hotmail.com

And sorry I didn´t answered the PM, I forgot, busy week MTF was only Polanski thread this week axaxa.

HELLAS TT DAVIS CUP TEAM
Ilovetheblues_86 is online now  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,392
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetheblues_86 View Post
In USP- CEPEUSP? Only from 19:30 and on.
Remember I work at the reitoria and next friday I will go to Barra Funda Forum at 16:00. If I finish the job before 17:30- 18:00 I can go back to USP until 19:00 and then get a bus back to Vila Madalena subway or Consolação avenue which is near my house.
Is it easy to catch a bus after 21:00 friday night? I suppose we will play for at least 1hour 30min//2 hours.
It's fine by me, I have swimming practice at 10 AM on Fridays and no classes, so it wouldn't be a problem for me to come back to my place and go to CEPEUSP at 19:30.

Take the bus 21:00 friday night should be ok and off traffic I guess, I got it close to 20:00 and it was way faster tha when I get it at 17:00/18:00.

It's scheduled then? Send me your phone by PM and I'll call you if there's a change of plans, or I let you know on MTF. I'll send you mine too.
Caio_Brasil is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 AM
Registered User
 
Ozone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,218
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Caio

What a fag you played But way to stay tough and enjoy it!! S&V'ing is great!!

TT 2015 w/chowdahead25: Estoril, Bucharest, and Auckland Champions
Miami Finals
COLLEGE TENNIS SUB-FORUM

BAGHDATIS | FEDERER | DANCEVIC | GASQUET | DOCTOR IVO

JOHN | KRAJICEK | RUSSELL | BAKES | GINEPRI | SAM | STEVO |MARDY | SMEE

JBlock and Kendo Forever
Ozone is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Registered User
 
Winnipeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,250
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

haha great story bud!
sounds like you played against my dad

GILLES MULLER

ERNESTS GULBIS

Once a year ITF player. Last year I took two games off of Dimitar Kutrovsky and Saketh Myneni

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalvinLuisandy View Post
Yes. But match point on Arnaboldi's serve is 10% chance

Tennis Tipping: 2015 Astana CH Singles and Doubles Champion
Winnipeg is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 06:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Age: 26
Posts: 2,292
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caio_Brasil View Post
Great day for me today, had my best display in a tennis court since I started playing and achieved one of the few wins I have and the biggest one for sure.

I was playing against this guy from the university who claims to have been 3rd class in the State federation (although some people siad it was a lie and probably it was ) but he for sure have played way many more times than I had (this must have been like the 10th time I entered a tennis court). The bet was if I won 3 games in one of the sets he would pay me a lunch in the Bandejão (the Uni's lunch system) otherwise I would pay.

My confidence was good as I had hit with him for 10 minutes last week and realized I wasn't that worse than him, and today in the morning I did hit with another friend and my volleys were way better than the other times I played. First set went pretty equilibrated with many games going to deuce, but I took very bad deicisions in those moments and lost it 2-6, being 1 game away from winning the bet. I would have to win 3 games in the other set to get the $1,90 prize

As in the first set, I kept serving-and-volleying all the time (which is the most enjoyable way to play tennis that's for sure) and thing started to go to my side. I got pretty consistent with my first serves in and stopped missing the volleys. In my service games I think I went to the net more than 80% of the points, and in his service games I also tried to go to the net the faster I could. I opened an early lead of 4-0, won my bet and then I started to know the guy's personality.

All kind of excuses started to appear. He said he was extremely tired because he had hit with a million other people in the morning (as I hadn't hit in the 33ºC as well, did workout and had an intense swimming training session before playing). For me it was pretty clear he was desperate of losing to a much more unexperienced guy than him and many of our friends knew we would play, so it would get kinda embarrassing to him. I understand his side, but his overreactions were unbeliavable. He got the set closer to 4-3*, but I sticked to my gameplan and won it 6-3, which was already a big win for me. At this moment he had already smashed a racket (although he didn't break it) and after I clinched the set he threw one ball away of the court.

We started the match-tiebreak and when it was 2-2 he started to fake an sprained ankle. The sequency of facts after that were ridiculous if not funny. I won the following point on his serve, but he invented a bad call and we replayed the point (every time he tried to call the points to his side I kept cool and did what he said). I won it again and he almost felt in the floor claiming he could barely walk. I then served in the next point, made him run and won the point at the net, opening 4-2. He said he couldn't finished it and that we could finish another day. I said it was OK and started to hit with another friend. Amazingly, 10 minutes after that he said maybe he could finish our match.

He went back, I kept playing my game, opened 6-5 I guess, but he played some good points and opened 9-6. I saved 2 MP's serving-and-volleying and played a very good and brave point to save the third one. I wasted a couple of MP's as well, but finally clinched the win with 13-11. He simply threw the racket out of the court, almost hitting my friend and left the court very angry. I couldn't even believe in what I was seeing, never saw such a bad loser. I used to had good talks about tennis with him but I got very dissappointed after what he did today, it was ridiculous.

Anyway, thing is I'm very happy with the way I played today and with some good shots I was able to do, specially at the net. Although I'm way below the level of most amateur players, today I realized I can play against some guys better than me and feel a little bit of the excitement of tennis.

Sorry for the long text


so i think you could beat xristos, no?
octatennis is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,392
                     
Re: The biggest win of my short tennis experience, and it was all S&V

no way
Caio_Brasil is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome