Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SetTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 97
                     
Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

I just wanted to whine slightly about people always wanting to play games rather than do drills or just 'hit'.

Not sure how it is at more advanced levels of playing but for a relative beginner like me there is too much of it, and I don't think a great deal is learned.

I tend to lose most games I play against my regular playing partners partly because I don't really think of them as games, just a chance to try out shots etc.

I refuse to play safe and just knock it back over the net, I don't feel I am learning anything that way.

For instance yesterday I wanted to work on my two handed backhand drives, during the 'game' I hit most backhands as slices which I find easy to keep in the court but I found it boring so kept trying my two handed drives, I hit one great winner down the line but missed most of the others.

I don't mind losing at all as I know what I am losing for (to improve technique, you have to take risks) but I would rather just do some hitting or some drills but this doesn't seem exciting enough for some apparently (I play against one player who has been playing for quite a while but only plays games, consequently he has dreadful technique, particularly his serve, but he doesn't want to work on it.)

Whine over.
SetTheory is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Age: 29
Posts: 11,587
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

Set, if you are a begginner, I suggest you spent 70%-80% of your time doing drills and playing agressive and when you play games, try to play more safer.
This way, you can fully unleash your potential into the drills while playing more tacticaly into the matches.
Soon as you advances you will become better and play more agressive in the games (match).
Find a partner that likes drills.
Try to convince other guys that you need a good time doing drills to get better. Then when you play the match, play safer.

HELLAS TT TEAM


I dont deserve to play for them
Ilovetheblues_86 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:46 AM
Registered User
 
Bernard Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,821
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

In my opinion you need a good balance between physical workouts / drills / and genuine competitive match practice.

It really depends on how far you want to take it though, mate. If you intend on playing tournaments / league at some point then match practice will be important because a) as you say, you can try out shots, strategies and patterns of play against a competitive opponent, and b) to improve your own mental strength on big points, learning which shots you can rely on and which let you down at crucial moments.

You do make a good point though, and it is of course vitally important to learn basic technique and practice it.
Bernard Black is offline  
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:20 PM
When You're On The Poster
 
Johnny Groove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Age: 26
Posts: 41,785
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

I find this thread funny as fuck because I can never find a decent person to actually play a match

Everyone always just wants to hit

However, when just starting out, I think hours of just hitting are exactly what one needs.

Follow my Youtube Channel for all my matches
Follow me on IG for the latest news, vids, pics, and memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Djokovic
Obviously, you play a lot of mind games with yourself, but it is important to always believe that you can play your best, perform your best, and in the end, your convictions are stronger than your doubts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
If I took the time to respond to every criticism that came across my desk, there would be no time for constructive work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humphrey Bogart
The only thing you owe the audience is a good performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niccolo Machiavelli
There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order of things.
Johnny Groove is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,367
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

Well I think it's okay for people to have different preferences. I mean, I'd assume people that aren't into doing drills and practicing aren't really that serious about tennis, it's more about what they enjoy.

Personally I prefer playing matches myself, but I also like hitting the ball down the middle of the court to whoever's across the net, so I can get used to the rhythm and timing, adjust my technique or get more confident in hitting it harder without needing to worry about placement, movement, etc. I can't do it for too long though otherwise I will lose my concentration and get bored.

I'm not really into drills though.
krystlel is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SetTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 97
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

I should clarify I'm not whining at the people I play with but just at the situation in general. The fact they want to play games and are not so keen to work on their shots is fine, that is what they enjoy doing and from my point of view it's better than nothing.

I'm not sure if I want to get into any proper competition when I am technically up to it, I don't really enjoy that side of it so much (though it does add some drama to the situation I suppose.) Mainly I just want to play well and put the ball where I want to put it, I think perhaps pretentiously it's more of an artistic attitude to the game (cough.)

I would rather be a Nalbandian or a Santoro perhaps than someone who 'wins ugly' whatever the outcome. I get more pleasure from hitting some good shots and being made to run after balls and hit them back etc than I do from beating my opponent (and walking away with my 'self-esteem' in tact, not sure I care about that.)

However I do recognise the tactical benefits in playing games at this stage, it's just not the thing I am most interested in.
SetTheory is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM
country flag HKz
Hakeem
 
HKz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mesa
Posts: 5,234
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

The reason match practice is so wanted, is because if you listen to many players and coaches, they will tell you something like "tennis is 80% mental." Winning is such a confidence booster, even if it is a match you don't care about. For many people, they LOVE winning. In my case, I will do anything to win. Well obviously I'm not going to do cheap shit to win like call close balls out, drop shot and lob all day or push all day, but I will do everything for the most part in my power to find a way to win.

Honestly, working out and stuff like that is really more of a personal thing to do. And finding a drill partner that is as motivated to do drills long enough to benefit is very difficult to find, which is why people hire private coaches.

Federer / Haas / Safin / Gaudio / Kuerten / Youzhny / Nadal / Gonzalez / Ljubicic / Hewitt / Soderling / Wawrinka / Coria / Nalbandian / Kohlschreiber
HKz is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
SetTheory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 97
                     
Re: Too Many Games, Not Enough Drills and Hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKz View Post

Honestly, working out and stuff like that is really more of a personal thing to do. And finding a drill partner that is as motivated to do drills long enough to benefit is very difficult to find, which is why people hire private coaches.
True, one reason I would like to find a practice wall near me somewhere, no luck so far. I'll keep looking for a suitable human being.
SetTheory is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome