wrist movement! - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 22
Posts: 1
 
wrist movement!

hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.
timtennis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2008, 06:37 PM
Registered User
 
Bernard Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,821
                     
Re: wrist movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtennis View Post
hi! my name is tim and i just started playing tennis again after a 6 years break!
so i have a question. my coach tells me the wrist must not move through the movement of the forehand and the backhand.. but i watched a slow motion video of pros in youtube and i can see they hit the ball with their wrist laying back!! so what should i do?? plz help!! thank you in advance.
Hmm, well you certainly use plenty of wrist action on the forehand in order to whip behind the ball and generate extra racquet head speed. Although you will see some clunky techniques which use mostly the arm. You need a more stable wrist for the backhand.

I've had a slight wrist injury for a while now and it mostly affected my forehand and serve as you'd expect, just can't get that same wrist snap. My backhand and volleys have been fine though.
Bernard Black is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2008, 12:23 AM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: wrist movement!

You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Registered User
 
Kolya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Munich
Posts: 11,324
                     
Re: wrist movement!

I believe some players bend their wrists to get more spin or to hit low balls.

Watch Bruguera's forehand.

Robin Bo Carl Söderling
Kolya is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Registered User
 
Bernard Black's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,821
                     
Re: wrist movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennMirnyi View Post
You don't pronate the wrist. You rotate the wrist. In fact you rotate the arm, the wrist rotates with it.
That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.
Bernard Black is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: wrist movement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TidusZidane View Post
That's a really good point, I hadn't thought about it like that. With that in mind, the only shots in which you consciously utilise wrist movement for are serves and overheads - it's impossible to keep the ball in otherwise.
Exactly.

My coach that taught me like that. The wrist angle with your arm never changes when you're hitting a forehand, let's say. What changes is that you rotate the arm and it seems like you're using the wrist, but the angle hasn't changed. In fact, if you close the wrist to hit baseline shots you'll fuck up your wrist pretty soon.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome