Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who is the greatest South American player to date?!

538 views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Jorge 
#1 ·
No comment

#2 ·
Well, as Guga is not back yet, I should give the edge to Canas.

#4 ·
Serge, to date, so that includes Vilas to like, Acasuso

lol

#5 ·
wait a second, I was talking about THIS VERY MOMENT.
You meant during all the history. :p
Anyway, Guga then. Just because... :eek:

#6 ·
Guillermo Vilas, then Kuerten, and now Guillermo Canas:)

#8 ·
right now: GUGA (at the end of his career Guga could be considered the best ever)
ever: Vilas
but you are talking just about the south americans or latinos in general?
then i may add two great champions of the past: Rafael Osuna, and Pancho González (from other times, is true, but they won several GS's in singles and doubles), both Mexicans (but Pancho Gonzalez represented USA);)

#12 ·
Que?!

#14 · (Edited)
since the latinos non southamericans can't be listed here i need to say that there are more southamericnas that were a great champions:
Alex Olmedo
Pancho Segura
Andrés Gómez
José Luis Clerc
just a few of them

but not southamericas: Raúl Ramírez, and Antonio Palafox, besides Pancho González and Rafael Osuna were magnificent players.:cool:

#16 · (Edited)
I had heard of Pancho Segura and Alex Olmedo but thought they were both Americans. What countries are they from ?
none of them was born in USA (they are Americans but "Latin Americans") Alex Olmedo was born in Perú and Pancho Segura in Ecuador;). But as many players, for economical or political reasons they played representing USA, as Seles or Navratilova or Lendl later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.