I actually tone down my criticism of Forget a lot when I post on MTF! Really, I don't get what people (except the Sebarno & Mikapaulo fans, of course) can like about him.
Personally I can think of a number of reasons to like him, which I will try to list here :
- Because he is the second best french single player of the open era both in ATP ranking and number of tournaments won (not in GS results I'll give you that) after Noah (hope Gilles or one of the others will pass him soon though
- Because he is the best french double player of the open era.
- Because he achieved these results with a beautiful classic "serve and volley" type of game.
- Because he was a great Davis Cup player giving the victory point both in single (1991, against Sampras) and double (1996) and having an impressing VD ratio in DC (Single : 17/7 Double : 21/4, undefeated with Leconte in double).
- Because his assessment as Davis Cup captain is more than good and spotless (1V, 2F, 1SF, never less than QF in 10 editions). Same for Fed Cup (1V, 1F in 5 years).
- Because in 10 years of being captain with the unevitable bumps on the road, his authority, competence and objectivity have never been seriously disputed by the players, wether young or older. As a matter of fact he repeatedly received votes of confidence from them over the years. Didn't Thierry Tuslasne say last year "Nobody is more fair (fairer?) than Guy" ?
- Because being always frank and outspoken, he managed to resist succesfully to the strong opposition and petty political manoeuvers of FFT President Christian Bîmes.
- Because as a TV consultant he is always informative, accurate and enthusiastic.
- Because in term of team spirit, positiveness and leadership he took the best of the Noah DC campaigns and still carries that flame. Noone loves Davis Cup more than him.
What can I say, I like Guy Forget. Always have, always will. I think he brought a lot to french tennis and feel grateful for that. And I always thought that, in addition to his talent as a player and a leader, he was a good natured, intelligent and decent human being.
I agree that his course as captain is leaning towards the end an that he might have to be replaced in a year or two, but by whom? Fabrice Santoro might be a good DC Captain one day (no idea how he would do relationship wise though, he doesn't strike me as the "fédérateur" type...) but certainly not right now. Escudé is still too tender as it was clearly demonstrated last weekend.
I look around and seriously can't see anyone in his place today.
More than happy to hear your opinions and suggestions though...