Mens Tennis Forums banner

Simple question

612 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Farenhajt 
#1 ·
A tiebreak is considered a service game for the player who serves first, right? Therefore, his opponent should be serving first in the next set, is that correct?

#6 ·
In the serving order sense, it is (the 12th game server gets to serve again in the 1st game of the next set, so technically, the tiebreak is his opponent's service game). In the scoring sense, of course it isn't.

#13 ·
I thought the same until yesterday,but Kiefer was the last to serve in the tiebreak and served first in the next set.
I was confused,but Farenhajt explained it later...-> Kiefer served first because Novak opened tiebreak with the serve.
I thought it was important who served last in the tiebreak,but it turned out to be other way round...

I think I saw the question on eurosport site,in their tennis quiz,and the right answer on the question: if a player is on serve in the last point of the tiebreak,who's serving first in the next set...? (or sth.like that) that player,opponent,...?
:confused: :shrug:

:tape:

#14 ·
The thing which cleared this tiebreak rule to me was to consider the whole set that ends in a tiebreak. The player served first in that set will receive first in the next one that follows the tiebreak. Otherwise a tiebreaker set would result in the same player having the first serve in the next set as well, which would seem a bit unfair to me (though some guys choose to receive if they win the coin toss, I consider serving first in a set a distinct advantage).

Here's something for the stat geeks: how many percent of sets are won by the player serving first? I'd guess somewhere around 53-57%

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.