Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup - MensTennisForums.com

View Poll Results: Who should qualify for the doubles TMC in 2007?
Top 16 players in the doubles rankings 32 72.73%
Top 8 teams in the doubles rankings 12 27.27%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Labamba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Finland
Age: 34
Posts: 32,551
                     
Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Who should qualify for the doubles TMC in 2007? Top 16 doubles players (random partners) or Top 8 doubles teams (regular partners)? Which option do you prefer?

Vote, poll will be open for 10 days.
Labamba is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:50 AM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Top 16 players in the rankings
adee-gee is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:57 AM
Registered User
 
Marksman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lake District
Posts: 2,705
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Yeah, Top 16 players should pair up

Andy Murray / Dan Evans / Team GB

Tennis Tipping
Career Highlights - 3 ATP Titles Doha '07, Los Angeles '07, Indianapolis '07, Team GB Davis Cup Member '07,'08
2008 Highlights - Australian Open 'R16, Rotterdam 'SF, Dubai 'QF, WTC (GB) 'W, Indianapolis 'SF, Toronto 'SF, Olympics 'QF
2014 - The Return! US Open 'QF
2015 - TT Davis Cup Champion
Marksman is offline  
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM
#freeviktor
 
savesthedizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: formerly known as Troickitard
Posts: 93,764
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

After much internal debate, I voted for top 16 players even though if the other system were in place I'd be in the TMC right now. I understand why a lot of people are against it being just for permanent partners and I understand why some people don't want permanent partners.

My only hesitation is what will happen if a pairing is tied for 16th place, how to choose which one of them gets in.

Troicki - Djokovic - Del Potro - Kyrgios - Berankis
Cibulkova - Robson - Kirilenko - Azarenka
Retired but always loving Ferrero - Ancic - Kiefer

savesthedizzle is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:13 AM
♤23♤
 
Deathless Mortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 32,971
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Top 8.


"a kad me opet gore vrati zahvalit' ću Mu prvo
što nam je dao komad zemlje što je za sebe sačuv'o"
Deathless Mortal is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7,479
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Even though I can fully see the arguements for the top 16 players, isn't the masters cup a tournament throughout the year for the top 8 doubles teams, and not necessarily the top 16 doubles players? For example, Pavel Vizner is the 15th best doubles player in the world, but he isn't playing in the masters cup

How can you have a doubles race, which is all about having a doubles partnership being won in the end by a doubles team who have never teamed before, just as they were the last 2 people to commit together?

Doubles is a team sport, and therefore, teams should be encouraged
Forever-Delayed is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 03:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Carolina
Age: 25
Posts: 9,689
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Top 16 players, in my opinion this is the most fair.
Foosimoo is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 05:36 PM
Registered User
 
Taz Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,131
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91 View Post
My only hesitation is what will happen if a pairing is tied for 16th place, how to choose which one of them gets in.
I think that's very unlikely - if you look at the rankings there's only one team (Scala/Siders) who have a joint ranking because they've never played with anyone else. Even the "regular" teams who have qualified for TMC (Melvins/Sylvester & Bubba08/Silverwhite) have separate rankings because they've occasionally played with someone else.

I like the top 16 qualifying as TT is quite different from ATP - a year can be a long time in MTF, people pop up and disappear. What happens if you play half the year with someone and are in a good position to qualify but then your partner suddenly disappears I also don't like the idea of having to co-ordinate which events i play with someone especially when our singles rankings might be vastly different.
Taz Warrior is online now  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 07:45 PM
Banned!
 
GlennMirnyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: I'm in Porto Alegre, bitch!
Posts: 42,099
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever-Delayed View Post
Even though I can fully see the arguements for the top 16 players, isn't the masters cup a tournament throughout the year for the top 8 doubles teams, and not necessarily the top 16 doubles players? For example, Pavel Vizner is the 15th best doubles player in the world, but he isn't playing in the masters cup

How can you have a doubles race, which is all about having a doubles partnership being won in the end by a doubles team who have never teamed before, just as they were the last 2 people to commit together?

Doubles is a team sport, and therefore, teams should be encouraged
Perfect. People seem to don't get it.
GlennMirnyi is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:38 PM
#freeviktor
 
savesthedizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: formerly known as Troickitard
Posts: 93,764
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavnich77 View Post
I think that's very unlikely - if you look at the rankings there's only one team (Scala/Siders) who have a joint ranking because they've never played with anyone else. Even the "regular" teams who have qualified for TMC (Melvins/Sylvester & Bubba08/Silverwhite) have separate rankings because they've occasionally played with someone else.

I like the top 16 qualifying as TT is quite different from ATP - a year can be a long time in MTF, people pop up and disappear. What happens if you play half the year with someone and are in a good position to qualify but then your partner suddenly disappears I also don't like the idea of having to co-ordinate which events i play with someone especially when our singles rankings might be vastly different.
That's why I ended up voting the way I did, and why before I had a permanent partner ( Sheva) I was against it. We aren't professional tennis players. People go on vacations. Hell, we go to tennis tournaments. I wasn't around for Roland Garros this year because... well... I was at Roland Garros. I plan to go to Wimbledon next year. It wouldn't be fair to Sheva for me to expect him not to play just because I go away, and vice versa. ( Don't worry partner, I am the queen of London Internet cafes...) Some people I know are too popular and like playing with a new person every week *cough* Adam *cough* TT is actually a spectacular way to make new friends on MTF. I mean, your partner could become a giant troll and get banned from the boards and you'd be screwed. It's different when doubles is a person's life and they have no other commitments in life, but we all do. We have work, we have family, we have lives off of MTF (well some of us) and sometimes other things will come before TT (believe it or not )

Troicki - Djokovic - Del Potro - Kyrgios - Berankis
Cibulkova - Robson - Kirilenko - Azarenka
Retired but always loving Ferrero - Ancic - Kiefer

savesthedizzle is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered User
 
Tomek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,858
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Top 8 like in real!!!

Tomek. is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 08:58 PM
Registered User
 
Tomek.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 8,858
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

It should be a Team Race

Tomek. is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:37 PM
_._._._._._
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 32
Posts: 72,524
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by savestheday91 View Post
and like playing with a new person every week *cough* Adam *cough* TT is actually a spectacular way to make new friends on MTF.


It wouldn't be fair to let only one person on MTF have the pleasure of playing with me
adee-gee is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Ace Loveforty
 
scarecrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tirana, ALBANIA
Posts: 81,607
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

good people

http://www.menstennisforums.com/show...&postcount=378

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerRafaFan View Post
That will be the last victory of Rafa for quite some time.. With his joke mentality and pathetic game, I hope the disgusting player loses every single match next season. He's disgraceful. He should just retire. He's a joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_mac View Post
(10) Corey Feldman vs. (12) scarecrows
scarecrows is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-10-2006, 10:50 PM
.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 33,407
                     
Re: Qualifying for the 2007 doubles Masters Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by adee-gee View Post


It wouldn't be fair to let only one person on MTF have the pleasure of playing with me
keqtqiadv is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome