So... I thought I'd give you a little update on the website. RG singles matches are already entered, thanks to jmjhb
But I've spent most of this week worrying over the performance of the site. The singles lists work more or less fine but for doubles it takes sometimes a lot of time to load. The reason for that is no mystery - all the lists get their data from the MATCH table and, as the table grows bigger and bigger with more and more matches in it, it takes longer to scan it all and retrieve all the necessary information.
So I thought that it would make sense to store the most frequently shown data (wins and losses) with each player and each team. It would improve the performance but it would also create inconveniences because every time a new match was entered, these new "wins" and "losses" fields would also have to be updated. It's doable, of course, but there would be a small risk that this information doesn't get updated properly. Anyway, I decided to implement this idea using database triggers (they would update all the necessary tables automatically based on the MATCH table), but I discovered that I need a "SUPER" privilege to create triggers in MySQL :retard: So this turned out to be a nice time-wasting from my side, and I'm really mad I can't use triggers.
Okay, so what it comes down to is that I'll leave the current system in place for now. If it's slow then it's slow, please bear with it
The upside is that the results you get are reliable
If it becomes really really slow in the future then I'll see what I can do.
Sorry, I've been a bit busy this week with some exams at school. I'll try to do some more in the next few weeks.
No problem, I'm sure there will still be tournaments left to enter