Tennis Tipping Rules & Questions - Page 10 - MensTennisForums.com
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #136 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,621
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthisnick View Post
someone should explain Goldenoldie what is the goal of this game, because he seems to have no clue
That seems a little harsh, no need to insult the guy because of his decision or opinion, he does a lot to help the game and no one will agree 100% of the time with everyone.

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #137 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
Taz Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,531
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Yes there's no need for comments like that just because you disagree with his opinion...
Taz Warrior is offline  
post #138 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

I thought the goal of this game was for all involved to enjoy some friendly competition around tennis with clearly defined rules and procedures to enable that to happen with a minimum of fuss.

Perhaps I misunderstood
scoobs is offline  
 
post #139 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Registered User
 
stealthisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 1,185
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

I didn't intend to insult anyone and I apologize if he felt offended
in my opinion I was just stating the obvious
we are forced to randomly choose between 40yo and 12yo Reunion players for no reason at all
I thought the goal of the game was having fun
where is the fun in flipping a coin?

Tennis Tipping Singles
W: Reggio Emilia CH 07, Seville CH 08, Seville CH 09, Orleans CH 09, San Marino CH 10
F: Ostrava CH 08, St Brieuc CH 10, Tokyo 10, Kitzbuhel 11

Tennis Tipping Doubles
W: San Marino CH 07 (with Salum) , Tampere CH 08 (with Overlord) , Samarkand CH 08 (with Kielian) , Seville CH 08 (with Filipo) , St Brieuc CH 09 (with stbanchile) ,
Ostrava CH 09 (with ghan) , San Marino CH 09 (with lukela85) , Lyon 09 (with Overlord) , Yokohama CH 09 (with Boarder35m) , Sunrise CH 10 (with Boarder35m),
St. Petersburg 10 (with Overlord), Johannesburg 11 (with Gallina)
stealthisnick is offline  
post #140 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:49 PM
Anastasia Komananov, KGB
 
scoobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Age: 39
Posts: 53,509
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

To be honest, that's mostly what you have to do in challenger quallies anyway - pick between the world number 963 and the world number 1425 when the only match history is a loss about 5 months ago to somebody unranked - I mean, it's not like in a lot of these matches there's a lot of info to base a decision on, you flip a coin. But the more matches you have to pick from, the better.
scoobs is offline  
post #141 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 PM
Registered User
 
Goldenoldie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: No fixed abode
Age: 73
Posts: 9,697
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthisnick View Post
I didn't intend to insult anyone and I apologize if he felt offended
in my opinion I was just stating the obvious
we are forced to randomly choose between 40yo and 12yo Reunion players for no reason at all
I thought the goal of the game was having fun
where is the fun in flipping a coin?
I'm not insulted or offended - you have your opinion and I have mine.
If you feel strongly about not picking between players you have never heard of, bring it up next December and it can be put to the vote. However I wonder where you would draw the line. The example given by scoobs is very common.

From reading the TT history it seems that Challenger tournaments were introduced because there were too many players to all get in the ATP tournaments. This year we have had Sheffield Futures because there was no Challenger that week.

The trend is towards getting to know about more players, and I think that is good. Even Nadal and Federer played challengers at the start of their careers, when they were unknown.

Ok, I admit Reunion is extreme, and I admit there is a difference between a promising youngster and a middle-aged guy who is just making up the numbers, but unless you do the research you can't know.

M. T. F.
The biggest source of bullshit since cattle were domesticated.
Goldenoldie is offline  
post #142 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
stealthisnick's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 35
Posts: 1,185
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenoldie View Post
I'm not insulted or offended - you have your opinion and I have mine.
If you feel strongly about not picking between players you have never heard of, bring it up next December and it can be put to the vote. However I wonder where you would draw the line. The example given by scoobs is very common.

From reading the TT history it seems that Challenger tournaments were introduced because there were too many players to all get in the ATP tournaments. This year we have had Sheffield Futures because there was no Challenger that week.

The trend is towards getting to know about more players, and I think that is good. Even Nadal and Federer played challengers at the start of their careers, when they were unknown.

Ok, I admit Reunion is extreme, and I admit there is a difference between a promising youngster and a middle-aged guy who is just making up the numbers, but unless you do the research you can't know.

you are still totally missing the point, that is not picking on player we have never heard of
the point is that tennis matches between local players of a Reunion Island tennis club have been used without necessity
qualification matches are normally used in TT challenger first day when there is lack of main draw matches
a common case is that on monday there are 3 or 4 main draw matches, so last round qualies are used to have enough matches to pick for a single day first round TT singles
this was not the case, this was a challenger with tuesday start (like all the others this week) so there was no need to start on monday to have a two days TT first round, with qualies used as first day pick
given the absurd local players involved in qualies, the decision makes clearly no sense
and you can easily tell that by the fact that at least two TT players that are facing each other on 1st round singles agreed on picking the same players with the same SRs to avoid differences based on a flipped coin decision

Tennis Tipping Singles
W: Reggio Emilia CH 07, Seville CH 08, Seville CH 09, Orleans CH 09, San Marino CH 10
F: Ostrava CH 08, St Brieuc CH 10, Tokyo 10, Kitzbuhel 11

Tennis Tipping Doubles
W: San Marino CH 07 (with Salum) , Tampere CH 08 (with Overlord) , Samarkand CH 08 (with Kielian) , Seville CH 08 (with Filipo) , St Brieuc CH 09 (with stbanchile) ,
Ostrava CH 09 (with ghan) , San Marino CH 09 (with lukela85) , Lyon 09 (with Overlord) , Yokohama CH 09 (with Boarder35m) , Sunrise CH 10 (with Boarder35m),
St. Petersburg 10 (with Overlord), Johannesburg 11 (with Gallina)
stealthisnick is offline  
post #143 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Registered User
 
Snowwy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: A place that's too cold.
Posts: 23,621
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
To be honest, that's mostly what you have to do in challenger quallies anyway - pick between the world number 963 and the world number 1425 when the only match history is a loss about 5 months ago to somebody unranked - I mean, it's not like in a lot of these matches there's a lot of info to base a decision on, you flip a coin. But the more matches you have to pick from, the better.
Its challenger maindraw, not qualies.

Peter Polansky
Nestor - Chvojka - Pospisil - Raonic - Peliwo
Snowwy is offline  
post #144 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cairo
Posts: 6,867
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

hi
I've got a question
when a match ends in retirment the SR doesn't count, right?
What if the match ends by w/o

Es irrt der Mensch so lang er strebt
Roger Federer .. Malek Jaziri
abollo is offline  
post #145 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Registered User
 
Holmzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Dublin
Posts: 773
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by abollo View Post
hi
I've got a question
when a match ends in retirment the SR doesn't count, right?
What if the match ends by w/o
Hi Abollo, that was what i was thinking. I dont think the SR counts when its W/O
Holmzy is offline  
post #146 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered User
 
Taz Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,531
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by abollo View Post
hi
I've got a question
when a match ends in retirment the SR doesn't count, right?
What if the match ends by w/o
When a match ends in retirement the SR doesn't count but the winner does.
If a match is a WO then that match doesn't count at all.
Taz Warrior is offline  
post #147 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 12:24 PM
Registered User
 
sdtoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,197
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

I have a question:-

In a 2 day First Round, if a player fails to send in picks on Day 1 but is not replaced by an ALT/LL, then can this same player send in picks for Day 2 or does his/her opponent receive a Walkover after Day 1?

I think the correct answer is that the player can send in picks for Day 2 and no walkover, but I would like confirmation of this issue asap.

Thanks in advance
sdtoot
sdtoot is offline  
post #148 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 PM
Registered User
 
Taz Warrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 13,531
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdtoot View Post
I have a question:-

In a 2 day First Round, if a player fails to send in picks on Day 1 but is not replaced by an ALT/LL, then can this same player send in picks for Day 2 or does his/her opponent receive a Walkover after Day 1?

I think the correct answer is that the player can send in picks for Day 2 and no walkover, but I would like confirmation of this issue asap.

Thanks in advance
sdtoot
Yes, that's right
Taz Warrior is offline  
post #149 of 483 (permalink) Old 01-31-2011, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
sdtoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 5,197
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavnich77 View Post
Yes, that's right
Cheers Gav.
sdtoot is offline  
post #150 of 483 (permalink) Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Age: 41
Posts: 30
                     
Re: Tennis Tipping FAQ/Guide

What is the difference among the challengers a, b, c and d?
Leo Costa is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome