Change of banning rules debate - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
I think you're an excellent poster, and I don't remember disagreeing before, but what you wrote here is utterly wrong. You want people to be given a chance to change, yet you think 15 times is cruel? How many chances should they get? 150?

I've been a member on a number of forums in the last 10 years, even been a mod on few of them. All I can say the moderation here is amazingly relaxed, and the shit people can get away with is sometimes mind-boggling. It took years of hard-core trolling before some of the worst trolls on the board were finally removed. If anything mods should be stricter sometimes, not more lenient. All those who were permabanned deserved it 5 times over.
You're misinterpreting this. I've been a Mod on a few forums myself and the only users ever being permanently banned or removed were the ones advertising links to virused websites or spambots. Moderation here should be stricter I agree, and punishments should be as severe as now or more severe in some cases, with the exception of the permaban.
Slasher1985 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered User
 
BauerAlmeida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Argentina
Age: 23
Posts: 5,292
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

A lot of those "infractions" shouldn't even exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Groove View Post
Fuck you. This ain't no God damn hobby, motherfucker.
BauerAlmeida is offline  
post #18 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BauerAlmeida View Post
A lot of those "infractions" shouldn't even exist.
Which ones are those? Propose your view instead of casting a post without much information. If you have a POV, let us know.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #19 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 29
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobs View Post
Your paranoia is entirely your own affair. Having worked with those people for a long time, I can tell you what you're saying is absolutely ludicrous.
No, it's not.I can prove it.
nick the greek is offline  
post #20 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 29
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
I think you're an excellent poster, and I don't remember disagreeing before, but what you wrote here is utterly wrong. You want people to be given a chance to change, yet you think 15 times is cruel? How many chances should they get? 150?

I've been a member on a number of forums in the last 10 years, even been a mod on few of them. All I can say the moderation here is amazingly relaxed, and the shit people can get away with is sometimes mind-boggling. It took years of hard-core trolling before some of the worst trolls on the board were finally removed. If anything mods should be stricter sometimes, not more lenient. All those who were permabanned deserved it 5 times over.
You are joking.
nick the greek is offline  
post #21 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,292
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick the greek View Post
You are joking.
Not really, you are still posting, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
You're misinterpreting this. I've been a Mod on a few forums myself and the only users ever being permanently banned or removed were the ones advertising links to virused websites or spambots. Moderation here should be stricter I agree, and punishments should be as severe as now or more severe in some cases, with the exception of the permaban.
Not sure what kind of forums are those; I mostly frequent on IT forums and I've seen dozens of people permabanned for all kinds of infractions. Spambots are usually banned automatically, that goes without saying.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #22 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,511
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspindoctor View Post
There should be no punishment for 'trolling' as its too easy to misinterpret IMO


Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
I agree with this.
paseo is offline  
post #23 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Age: 29
Posts: 4,295
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Not really, you are still posting, no?
You're trying to be funny?Stop, 'cause you're failing.
We're talking about serious matters here.I'm also member on many other forums(sport ones and those that has nothing to do with sports) and I can tell you that things are different there.
nick the greek is offline  
post #24 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
Not sure what kind of forums are those; I mostly frequent on IT forums and I've seen dozens of people permabanned for all kinds of infractions. Spambots are usually banned automatically, that goes without saying.
Science fiction forums. And be sure that there many many trolls to go around there.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #25 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

We're diverging once again. It doesn't matter how other forums are like, all that matters is how this forum can be like.
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #26 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:33 PM
Slacker
 
Time Violation's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mount Sharp
Age: 37
Posts: 14,292
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slasher1985 View Post
It doesn't matter how other forums are like, all that matters is how this forum can be like.
Ok, fair enough. I think it already has great balance as it is. If it's absolutely necessary to tweak something, then it should be more strict in the GM part. Non-tennis, chat etc. could be more lax.

“There’s so many athletes, tennis players around the world,” he continued, trying to put his life into some kind of perspective, “they want to be the best in what they do. They want to succeed. Many of them, they don’t succeed in the end. I’m fortunate to have this opportunity and succeed.”
Time Violation is offline  
post #27 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Violation View Post
If it's absolutely necessary to tweak something, then it should be more strict in the GM part. Non-tennis, chat etc. could be more lax.
That is a great idea. Chat should watch out for personal attacks, while GM should also be careful about accusations without proof and diverging discussions into directionless babble or trolling. This part:

Code:
Forum disruptions              -              +1 day
Baiting                        -              +1 day
Trolling                       -              +1 day
Doping Allegetions             -              +1 day
Match Fixing Allegations       -              +1 day
Slasher1985 is offline  
post #28 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Racquet smash enthusiast
 
emotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Virginia
Age: 20
Posts: 48,281
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

The rules in OP are good guidelines.
The permaban has become overused

Personally, I don't think doping or match fixing allegations (The latter is often obvious) should carry bans at all



Matosevic, Hanescu, Lorenzi, Kukushkin, Chiudinelli, Gulbis, Bozoljac, Gabashvili, Hernych, Brown, Garcia-Lopez, Rosol, Zeballos, Istomin, Kohlschreiber, Tursunov, Robert, Gonzalez, Monaco, Thiem, Seppi
emotion is offline  
post #29 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
the pirate queen.
 
Pirata.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa
Age: 27
Posts: 13,370
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by djokovicgonzalez View Post
Personally, I don't think doping or match fixing allegations (The latter is often obvious) should carry bans at all
Yeah, I'm really confused about why those two are ban-worthy offenses. I don't want this place to become THASP Jr. but I don't get how saying "I think X player fixed his match" is any different from people accusing the same player of tanking.

Rafael Nadal & Novak Djokovic: The Evoulution of a Handshake
federer ferrer wawrinka raonic flopez istomin mannarino pospisil
verdasco

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuitYerWhining View Post
Ever trolled, ever failed, no matter.
Post again, troll again, troll harder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Death View Post
mods drag this thread outside and have several spotted hyenas shit on it for 4 straight days. you may have to bribe the hyenas but they will shit on it.
Pirata. is offline  
post #30 of 160 (permalink) Old 03-28-2013, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Rankings Master
 
Slasher1985's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Age: 30
Posts: 11,327
                     
Re: Change of banning rules debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirata. View Post
Yeah, I'm really confused about why those two are ban-worthy offenses. I don't want this place to become THASP Jr. but I don't get how saying "I think X player fixed his match" is any different from people accusing the same player of tanking.
It's about illegally obtained money really. Tanking serves the purpose of players conserving energy for later events. Fixing serves the purpose of generating illegal money on gambling. Such accusations usually demand proof.
Slasher1985 is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome