A suggestion; take it any way you wish - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,670
                     
A suggestion; take it any way you wish

I might be joking and then again I might not. But have you ever considered shutting down GM for a day or two? It might stop all the nonsensical threads from being started. At least it would give those of us who consider ourselves adults a break. Just like sending my kids to their rooms After all if GM did not exist the trolls might go elsewhere or at least might think twice about coming out to play. Thank you.

DelPotro:Ferrer:Gulbis:M&M
cobalt60 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

how about permanently

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,670
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deboogle!. View Post
how about permanently
Be prepared to get repped; if I can

DelPotro:Ferrer:Gulbis:M&M
cobalt60 is offline  
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Vamos Mandy :)
 
Deboogle!.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Looking for Andy's forehand with Sarah and Re...
Posts: 85,829
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

I can't so a from me

LA Pics & Reports ~ My New Blog: Adventures of a Picky Foodie! ~ My Travel Blog

to (in no particular order): BryOns | Mandy | MarTy | Isner | Dent | Querrey | Baghdatis | Delic | Oli | N&o | Gasquet | Ferrero | Levine | Malisse | LUX | Melzer | Moya | Nishikori | Haas | Grosjean | Ancic | Mathieu | Calleri | Bolelli | Sela | Blake | more...
Deboogle!. is offline  
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,778
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

I am trying to answer this seriously.

I am worried after sending the kids to their rooms, they may start a fire or do some serious damage to their rooms
Lee is offline  
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Registered User
 
Castafiore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,954
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Maybe I'm oversimplifying but how about staying away from MTF if you find the place too immature for you?

What are mature posters doing on MTF anyway? (I might be joking here, I might not )

I see your point about wanting to shut the place down after an important match but threads will always appear after those matches. I don't see how you can avoid them on a message board where several fan groups clash. How are you going to sift out the "immature" posters and who decides what is considered to be just funny and what is immature? (granted, it's sometimes easy to see but often not because it depends on personal preferences, your own (biased) opinions, etc)

The only trolls you're going to avoid by closing down the place for a couple of days are the impulsive ones but most of you have been a member of MTF for quite some time, long enough to know that many of the trolls are not impulsive but consistent. You'll still end up with posts but only two days later. You'll only push the trolling, bashing, mocking, etc. two days into the future.

For as long as I've been a member of this forum, it's happened. It's not a recent thing.

Last edited by Castafiore; 02-03-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Castafiore is offline  
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Bite me.....
 
Carlita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: who cares?
Posts: 62,990
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

If they can't post it in GM they'll go spread the crap all over the rest of MTF now there's a scary thought!

♥Marillion♥ ♥Kane♥
~Fernando Verdasco~
~Juan Martin Del Potro~
Carlita is offline  
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,670
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castafiore View Post
Maybe I'm oversimplifying but how about staying away from MTF if you find the place too immature for you?

What are mature posters doing on MTF anyway? (I might be joking here, I might not )

I see your point about wanting to shut the place down after an important match but threads will always appear after those matches. I don't see how you can avoid them on a message board where several fan groups clash. How are you going to sift out the "immature" posters and who decides what is considered to be just funny and what is immature? (granted, it's sometimes easy to see but often not because it depends on personal preferences, your own (biased) opinions, etc)

The only trolls you're going to avoid by closing down the place for a couple of days are the impulsive ones but most of you have been a member of MTF for quite some, long enough to know that many of the trolls are not impulsive but consistent. You'll still end up with posts but only two days later. You'll only push the trolling, bashing, mocking, etc. two days into the future.

For as long as I've been a member of this forum, it's happened. It's not a recent thing.
That's the problem with this place; many have lost their sense of humor. And those who no longer post left for that specific reason. And good question? I do indeed wonder why some of us still stay around. Maybe that's because we can't let the trolls or whatever one wants to call them get rid of us. Or maybe some of us actually like some of the posters we chat with.
However why am I not surprised that you answered in such a typically patronising way.

DelPotro:Ferrer:Gulbis:M&M
cobalt60 is offline  
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,670
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Carlita*~ View Post
If they can't post it in GM they'll go spread the crap all over the rest of MTF now there's a scary thought!
I was indeed being facetious

DelPotro:Ferrer:Gulbis:M&M
cobalt60 is offline  
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
Castafiore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 19,954
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
That's the problem with this place; many have lost their sense of humor. And those who no longer post left for that specific reason. And good question? I do indeed wonder why some of us still stay around. Maybe that's because we can't let the trolls or whatever one wants to call them get rid of us. Or maybe some of us actually like some of the posters we chat with.
I don't think that it has changed this much over the recent years but perhaps you could shrug it off more easily in the past?

It's been ugly when Roddick and Hewitt were competiting for the big titles on a regular basis, when Nadal came up, when Novak won his AO title. I don't quite understand (genuine question) why it's changed for you so much all of a sudden (or perhaps not all of a sudden but it's only recently I see you posting about it)

I do think that it's still possible to get a non-trollish conversation going in here with your not so immature friends. It's just impossible in GM.


Quote:
However why am I not surprised that you answered in such a typically patronising way.
That's me told.
Sorry, that's usually your department.


Seriously, I didn't mean it to be patronising.

Last edited by Castafiore; 02-03-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Castafiore is offline  
post #11 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned!
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 17,155
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

I take it as a failed attempt at humor.
JolánGagó is offline  
post #12 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,190
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

GM has been worse.

The beginning of last year with all the bad feeling between the new Noletrolls and his detractors was not pleasant. The aftermath of Wimbledon was awful.

Currently, I am struggling to understand the thought process that is going in to the deletion/closure of certain threads, while others are left to spiral totally out of control.

I've been reading this forum for nearly 5 years. Too many people look back with rose tinted glasses.
l_mac is offline  
post #13 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Occasional Visitor
 
*Ljubica*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 52,208
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
That's the problem with this place; many have lost their sense of humor. And those who no longer post left for that specific reason. And good question? I do indeed wonder why some of us still stay around. Maybe that's because we can't let the trolls or whatever one wants to call them get rid of us. Or maybe some of us actually like some of the posters we chat with.
However why am I not surprised that you answered in such a typically patronising way.
Word Don't let the b**tards grind you down as they say I admit I've taken a few breaks along the way from MTF - but, like you, I tend to drift back because there ARE some great people here whom I consider to be my friends (like yourself and Lee here), - and it's not always possible or practical to chat on Facebook or MSN, so it's a convenient place to meet.

I know there has always been trolling on MTF (it goes with the territory of Internet Message Boards I guess ), but, like you, I do firmly believe that the standards have gone down in the past year or so. In the "old days" we had people like RonE and hitchhiker, who got their point over in a funny (and some would consider) trolling way but without ever resorting to being bitchy or hurtful to other posters, insulting people, or using what I would consider "inappropiate language". But somehow that light-hearted element seems to have disappeared over the past year, and the only "humour" one sees here, seems to be of a rather nasty and unkind type, that I personally dislike Some of the posters here remind me of a rather unpleasant pack of hyenas or vultures - just waiting for the "right" result to hurl themselves into some entirely unsuitable display of hate, - not just aimed against their least-liked player, but against their entourages, famiiles, fans, and sometimes their whole nation too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Be prepared to get repped; if I can
I did it for you

AJDE SRBIJA


Supporting Djoković, Tipsarević, Soderling, Tursunov, Youzhny, Cilić and quite a few more

Last edited by *Ljubica*; 02-03-2009 at 04:29 PM.
*Ljubica* is offline  
post #14 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Last dance, Andy
 
tangerine_dream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: New York New Englander
Posts: 25,432
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Carlita*~ View Post
If they can't post it in GM they'll go spread the crap all over the rest of MTF now there's a scary thought!
Kind of like how they started spreading their crap in the score results thread instead of keeping it contained in the roasting threads where it belonged, but those threads were closed by the nanny mods who thought that the roasters would just stop and go away once their 'hateful' roasting threads were closed.

Oops.

"What kind of shape am I in now? Well round is a shape." said Roddick with a laugh. "I had a very detailed retirement plan, and I feel like I've met every aspect of it: a lot of golf, a lot of carbs, a lot of fried food, and some booze, occasionally — I've been completely committed ... The results have shown."


Mugs Tennis Forums
tangerine_dream is offline  
post #15 of 58 (permalink) Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
I DON'T LIKE DJOKOVIC
 
l_mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 41,190
                     
Re: A suggestion; take it any way you wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ljubica* View Post
Word - don't let the b**tards grind you down as they say I admit 've taken a few breaks along the way from MTF - but, like you, I tend to drift back because there ARE some great people here whom I consider to be my friends (like yourself and Lee here), - and it's not always possible or practical to chat on Facebook or MSN, so it's a convenient place to meet.

I know there has always been trolling on MTF (it goes with the territory of Internet Message Boards I guess :shrug ), but, like you, I do firmly believe that the standards have gone down in the past year or so. In the "old days" we had people like RonE and hitchhiker, who got their point over in a funny (and some would consider) trolling way but without ever resorting to being bitchy or hurtful to other posters, insulting people, or using what I would consider "inappropiate language",. But somehow that light-hearted element seems to have disappeared over the past year, and the only "humour" one sees here, seems to be of a rather nasty and unkind type, that I personally dislike
Hilarious.
l_mac is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome