Mens Tennis Forums banner

---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

92K views 821 replies 79 participants last post by  Daniel. 
#1 ·
Chris Guccione

Within the space of three games on Margaret Court Arena yesterday morning, it was clear Chris Guccione has several things that Alun Jones does not.

To name a few: size - 198.5 centimetres, to be precise - a serve of commensurate power, and heavy shots off both sides of his body. Yesterday, he also had a Melbourne crowd in his corner, which for Canberran Jones detracted somewhat from the feeling of playing in your "home" championships.

It might have been unkind to the contest's loser to suggest, if Jones had not virtually done so himself, that Guccione also has a future of grander proportions.

"With a weapon like that, you're going to go a long way," Jones said after being brushed aside 6-3, 7-6 (7-3), 6-2 by the Greenvale 18-year-old, whose star rose dramatically last week when he defeated world No. 3 Juan Carlos Ferrero in Sydney. "He can beat guys who are top 10, then the next day he could go out and lose to someone like myself. That's the type of game he has."

For Jones, whose own game is artful but lacks artillery, such distinctions in make-up are a constant frustration. The 23-year-old hit his share of winners - 34 to Guccione's 38 - but they tended to leave his racquet with a heavily top-spun "ting", whereas his opponent's made a resounding thud.

Jones began nervously and was broken early in each set, but after clawing back and feeling "like it was changing for me", he rued a loose tie-breaker in which his struggles on serve were most conspicuous. "I think I was concentrating so much on his serve that I forgot how to hold my own."

Guccione has an endearingly casual air. Asked who he had modelled his service on, he said "myself", adding he "just went out there and hit serves". He said it was only in the past two years that it had become a weapon.

A first grand slam has already made his heart race. It has been an adventure for the whole camp; Richard Fromberg spent the warm-up yesterday trying to find the coaches' seats, while Guccione's own preparations included scratching around for tickets for family and friends. He procured "like, 10 or 15", but met only a fraction of demand.

They saw their boy record what he thought an even bigger win than that over Ferrero. "This week is a grand slam, best-of-five match; you've got to win three sets. There's a lot more points involved so it will take my ranking a lot higher. It wasn't really easy - I still had to play my best tennis."

He knows what must be done to take it into elite territory. While there were sizzling passing shots from back and forehand, and Jones noted an improvement in the Guccione volley, he still suffers from a characteristic occasionally found in world leaders, the misuse of power.

"I can hit the ball big but they don't always go in," was his summary. Movement around the court is another hobby horse for his mentors. "I have everyone telling me, 'Move your feet, move your feet', 24 hours a day."

Tomorrow, he meets Robby Ginepri, when the superiority Guccione enjoyed yesterday will be turned on him in at least one department: unlike the American, he cannot boast having dated actor Minnie Driver. But he has registered with Ginepri, who knows two things about his opponent - he is Australian, and he has a big serve.

See less See more
#59 ·
Doesnt matter he got given LL(lucky loser) and is in the main draw anyway, he is in a much better position now then he would have been if he had have beaten moodie. Feliciano Lopez instead of Gustavo Keurten, and the round robin he will be put in is one of the easiest too. Possible Guccione Hewitt Quarterfinal.

#60 ·
Gooch lost his MDE to Lopez 6-4 3-6 7-6(6), Chris had two match points and one on his serve! I dont know what happened maybe he was crushed under the pressure. But good luck for next week in Indian Wells Qualifying Chris. Guccione's ranking will go to about 108 after this week.

#61 ·
PETITION: Chris Guccione gets his own sub-forum

I would like to start a petition for Chris Guccione to get his own sub-forum, Mark Philippoussis has one and it is pretty much dead in there, Chris Guccione is playing and playing well, looks like he will be playing Indian Wells main draw. As I am aware Gooch has many many fans after his outstanding run in Adelaide. I'm not asking for Philippoussis' forum to be romoved just Guccione's added. I think he deserves it as he is the second highest ranked aussie on the tour. Is this the way to go about getting another sub-forum? or is there another way please let me know.

My vote is to give him a sub-forum

#62 ·
Re: PETITION: Chris Guccione gets his own sub-forum

Mark has earned his right to have a forum for the last 10 years, regardless of how active or inactive it is.

chris does too...eventually. But i would like to see him at least get inside the top 50 or get a decent ATP result overseas first. He has improved a lot but hasn't taken any huge leaps and bounds just yet. Also his current MTF cheer thread isn't exactly showing he has many, many fans on this forum. ;)

#66 ·
Chris lost to Lopez 6-2, 7-6(6), don't know if he had set points in that second set, he probably did. Missed out on a nightime matchup with Andy Roddick, would of love to see that.

Oh well, I think it's a Colombian challenger next week, a $125k one and he should be one of the top seeds, really needs to take this oppurnity and win it. Not sure if he's going to try and quailfy for Miami :confused:

#68 · (Edited)
Chris lost to Lopez 6-2, 7-6(6), don't know if he had set points in that second set, he probably did. Missed out on a nightime matchup with Andy Roddick, would of love to see that.
He hadn't set points. In the tie-break weren't any mini-breaks till 6:6. Chris have to do it something with his tie-breaks. Player like he can be in Top 30, maybe even in Top 20 but his tie-break percentage must approximate at least 60 %.

#79 ·
Guccione has absoleutely no points for 5 weeks to defend!!!!! surely he will get into the top 100 and around the 70's before Roland Garros. He is playing the next 3 weeks in challengers in Mexico, I just looked at where he would go if he won all 3 challengers he will go to about 58 in the world, lol i know it wont happen just intresting to see the position he could be in a month.

#80 ·
Pfft, i doubt it, he'll probably just choke mps again in the first round :help:

Really f***ed up today, 3 times in 2 months, to choke mps (2 or more), there just has to be something wrong with him mentally, it shouldn't be happening consistancy like this. Really fed up of these losses, Blake would of been a good test for him to seee where he's at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.