Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

For me it is a bad news , because Andre is one of the best player in the history of tennis



Former Wimbledon champion Andre Agassi says he will retire after this year's US Open, which starts on 28 August.

The 36-year-old American has won eight Grand Slam singles titles in his career and is one of only five players to win all four Grand Slam events.

He is a former world number one and has pocketed winnings of more than £17m.

Agassi claimed his first Grand Slam at Wimbledon in 1992 and has also won the Australian Open four times, the US Open twice and the French Open once.

"This Wimbledon will be my last and the US Open will be my last tournament," said Agassi, who has won 60 ATP titles since turning professional in 1986.

Agassi beat Goran Ivanisevic over five sets in the final to win Wimbledon 14 years ago, knocking out former champions Boris Becker and John McEnroe on the way.

e returns to SW19 this summer after being absent for the last two years and will play Boris Pashanski of Serbia in the first round.

Agassi has been struggling with a back injury and returned to competition last week after almost three months out, losing to Tim Henman in the Stella Artois Championships.

"It's been a lot of sacrifice trying to get myself right to come back here and enjoy this tournament for the last time," he said.

"I sacrificed the clay to make sure my body was right. It's something that's meant a lot to me over the years so being here feels great.

"I wanted to do everything I could just to come back here. This is where it all started for me. All my dreams started here. It's 14 years ago but it feels like yesterday."


Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/5113046.stm
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:20 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Why is it bad news Greg, he would have to go sometime and the time is now, he should have done so from last year if you ask me, he is 36 years old of God sake, and it is not like other sports, where you can play until you are a 100 yrs old, all that pounding on the court take a told on their bodies after awhile, Andre is not like Pete Sampras, a natural athlete who can play and not been fit, Andre need fitness to win and to be in shape all the time - I say good luck to him in life after tennis.
angiel is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiel
Why is it bad news Greg, he would have to go sometime and the time is now, he should have done so from last year if you ask me, he is 36 years old of God sake, and it is not like other sports, where you can play until you are a 100 yrs old, all that pounding on the court take a told on their bodies after awhile, Andre is not like Pete Sampras, a natural athlete who can play and not been fit, Andre need fitness to win and to be in shape all the time - I say good luck to him in life after tennis.
Of course, you are right angiel, he is 36 now and too old to win the biggest tournaments, but he is the last player who was playing in the "Sampras era"
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:28 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
Of course, you are right angiel, he is 36 now and too old to win the biggest tournaments, but he is the last player who was playing in the "Sampras era"

Yes he was, but there comes a time when all good things has to come to an end, but i have to wonder why announce his retirement now at Wimbledon? and he says until after the US Open
angiel is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiel
Yes he was, but there comes a time when all good things has to come to an end, but i have to wonder why announce his retirement now at Wimbledon? and he says until after the US Open
Because he wants to finish his career in this magical place where he began playing in the Grand Slam (U.S. Open 1986). Moreover he would like to end his career like Pete Sampras, after Flushing Meadows (he wants to play his last match in New York, Pete did the same)

Last edited by Greg-Pete fan; 06-24-2006 at 08:52 PM.
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
Because he wants to finish his career in this magical place where he began playing in the Grand Slam (U.S. Open 1986). Moreover he would like to end his career like Pete Sampras, after Flushing Meadows (he wants to play his last match in New York, Pete did the same)

I doubt that very much Greg, and he can not finish his career like Pete, unless he won one of these slams no matter what he did, before or after the US Open Andre still reminded of a child who alway want the big spolight or headlines, he dont know how to bow out gracefully, (no pun intended).
angiel is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by angiel
I doubt that very much Greg, and he can not finish his career like Pete, unless he won one of these slams no matter what he did, before or after the US Open Andre still reminded of a child who alway want the big spolight or headlines, he dont know how to bow out gracefully, (no pun intended).
First of all he won`t win U.S. Open like Pete did, because it is impossible, but he will finish his career at the same place where Pete finished...
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
First of all he won`t win U.S. Open like Pete did, because it is impossible, but he will finish his career at the same place where Pete finished...

Okay Greg, I wish Andre all the best life has to offer and his family, I like his wife Steffi a lot, God's speed Andre.
angiel is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Of course it is obvious that Pete finished his career in a better style (he won U.S. Open 2002 and in the final he beat Andre), but Pete is the best tennis player of history, you know that and I know

Last edited by Greg-Pete fan; 06-24-2006 at 10:06 PM.
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 01:19 AM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
Of course it is obvious that Pete finished his career in a better style (he won U.S. Open 2002 and in the final he beat Andre), but Pete is the best tennis player of history, you know that and I know


Yes my dear, we all know that, Pete Sampras is special, very special, love you Pete, we all do and thank you for playing the game so well.
angiel is offline  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Greg-Pete fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Age: 28
Posts: 3,054
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

"Andre announcing his retirement is truly the end of an era. He was one of the best players I competed against and, in turn, made me a better player," said Pete Sampras, who went 20-14 against Agassi, including a win in the 2002 U.S. Open final, Sampras' final match. "His longevity and desire to compete at the highest level have been remarkable. He has brought a huge amount to our sport and will be missed."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=2499080
Greg-Pete fan is offline  
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 11:45 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg-Pete fan
"Andre announcing his retirement is truly the end of an era. He was one of the best players I competed against and, in turn, made me a better player," said Pete Sampras, who went 20-14 against Agassi, including a win in the 2002 U.S. Open final, Sampras' final match. "His longevity and desire to compete at the highest level have been remarkable. He has brought a huge amount to our sport and will be missed."

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/ten...ory?id=2499080


Who is going to take their place Greg? and what is going to happen when Americans dont see anyone winning slams??
angiel is offline  
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Yeh Andre is amazing the greatest baseliner in history, so solid off both wings and can attack the ball better than anyone on the return, hes my fave after sampras.
the_natural is offline  
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM
Registered User
 
Mimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 21,998
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

his best times to retire should be after winning his 2003 AO, if so, everyone will never forget him, i guess he wanted to win more slams, but sadly he did not , actually at 2003, he was already 33, old enough to retire

i gonna miss him, miss his rivalry with pete, the last of pete's peers will go, i feel very sad

Rafa! Rafa! Rafa!

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline  
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Andre Agassi will retire after U.S. Open 2006 tournament

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimi
his best times to retire should be after winning his 2003 AO, if so, everyone will never forget him, i guess he wanted to win more slams, but sadly he did not , actually at 2003, he was already 33, old enough to retire

i gonna miss him, miss his rivalry with pete, the last of pete's peers will go, i feel very sad


I agree with you Mimi. Bye bye Andre.
angiel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome