Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000 - MensTennisForums.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hank777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 385
                     
Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Here I'd like to open a somewhat sad, yet interesting topic series, to dig deeper into the "why's" and "how's" of Pete losing in a GRAND SLAM final.

Part I - 2000 US open - def. by Marat Safin

I'll just start at random, giving my personal impressions / reasons for the Pete being defeated:

- I thought Safin was simply playing the better match of the 2, it wasn't as much Pete playing bad as it was Safin playing (very) good

The one thought that lingers with me though is : tactics

Pete said I tried chip n charge, (no effect), serve&volley (no effect), baseline (... no effect)

Yet I have to disagree a tad, I though Pete should have stayed back more on his serve, with Marat returning the way he did.

In the final game, finally Pete started staying back more, and regardles of winning the point(s) it seemed to me that he should have stuck to that. He did it against Agassi in 2001 the next year ...

COMMENTS people, I'm interested in hearing your views !!
Hank777 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 09:28 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank777
Here I'd like to open a somewhat sad, yet interesting topic series, to dig deeper into the "why's" and "how's" of Pete losing in a GRAND SLAM final.

Part I - 2000 US open - def. by Marat Safin

I'll just start at random, giving my personal impressions / reasons for the Pete being defeated:

- I thought Safin was simply playing the better match of the 2, it wasn't as much Pete playing bad as it was Safin playing (very) good

The one thought that lingers with me though is : tactics

Pete said I tried chip n charge, (no effect), serve&volley (no effect), baseline (... no effect)

Yet I have to disagree a tad, I though Pete should have stayed back more on his serve, with Marat returning the way he did.

In the final game, finally Pete started staying back more, and regardles of winning the point(s) it seemed to me that he should have stuck to that. He did it against Agassi in 2001 the next year ...

COMMENTS people, I'm interested in hearing your views !!

Suppose I was to say the the match the day before takes all out of him, for the final but you are right Safin did play a great match, only a pity, because look where he is today, not making any use of his talent or his sport, a shame.
angiel is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:07 AM
Registered User
 
Mimi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 22,161
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

again pete fans have the last laugh coz he won 14 slams, while safin only has 2 slams and he is 26 already

Rafa! Rafa! Rafa!

Epic movies, like brokeback mountain, are seldom found in the industry or worthy for the mainstream viewer. As often as I have watched the clips of this movie, I always find something more to it. For one, the gay stuff doesn't enter the picture for me, only the dimension of the highest love I have ever witnessed in life or on film.
Mimi is offline  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Hank777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 385
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Quote:
again pete fans have the last laugh coz he won 14 slams, while safin only has 2 slams and he is 26 already
Well, I am not laughin at Safin, he's talented, perhaps it's a shame he hasn't done more with his talent, 2 slams for a player of his caliber, it's odd in a way.

Back to topic though, anybody here have more thoughts on the reasons for this loss ? Keep it comin'
Hank777 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:06 AM
Registered User
 
MariaV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 42,212
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

It was a totally SURREAL match IMO. Marat played out of this world and that's the main reason IMO. Staying back more .... I don't it would've made the difference really. It was just one of those days where Marat couldn't do anything wrong.
MariaV is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 11:18 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 53
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaV
It was a totally SURREAL match IMO. Marat played out of this world and that's the main reason IMO. Staying back more .... I don't it would've made the difference really. It was just one of those days where Marat couldn't do anything wrong.
I agree.. The only man capable of beating Safin at that moment was Pete with 1999Wimbledon Form(when he thrashed Agassi) or 1996 Masters when he beat becker..
poor pete failed to keep the form he showed till he reached there...
ragson_83 is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 09:19 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragson_83
I agree.. The only man capable of beating Safin at that moment was Pete with 1999Wimbledon Form(when he thrashed Agassi) or 1996 Masters when he beat becker..
poor pete failed to keep the form he showed till he reached there...

Poor Pete you say but look who has the last laugh, pete did, because he beat Safin the next year, then lose to Hewitt in the final.
angiel is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Well Pete didnt know Safin well enough to realise that he SHOULD have tried to play as aggressively as possible to mess with safins rhythmn as he did in 01, and in 01 Safin wasnt IN THE ZONE like he was in 00 BUUUUUT He was playing "The best tennis since USO 2000" and that was Macs opinion during the Quarters match between pete and andre. If Pete was still the young confident guy he used to be, he would have thought more during the 00 final and learnt to get inside Marats head. But Im not sayin he woulda have won easily though, he woulda had to work hard even if he did get the successful formula cos as U guys said he was just in the zone
the_natural is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:22 AM
Registered User
 
almouchie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Beirut
Age: 36
Posts: 2,225
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

should the 1992 US open loss to Stefan Edberg be the first part
the loss had a profounf effect on Pete's career.

Sampras was tired in the final with Safin, who had probably played the best match of his life, better than AO semifinal last year against Federer
Everything Marat was doing was right, he could do no wrong. It was just meant to be

When Meeting Someone Greet them by Saying SALAM
almouchie is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

AND HE WAS YOUNG!!! AND no Injuries back then, I think that was the absolute pinnacle of his powers.
the_natural is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 05:38 PM
Registered User
 
angiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 9,857
                     
Re: Pete Grand Slam lost Finals - in Perpective - Part I - Safin 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural
AND HE WAS YOUNG!!! AND no Injuries back then, I think that was the absolute pinnacle of his powers.

he is still young
angiel is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome