Kuerten bounced in first round of Buenos Aires event
February 17, 2004
BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (Ticker) - Gustavo Kuerten felt sick and unprepared - and it showed.
The fourth seed from Brazil, Kuerten lost in the first round of the ATP Buenos Aires claycourt event Tuesday, two days after dropping a title match in Chile.
Kuerten, a former world No. 1, suffered a 6-3, 7-5 setback to David Ferrer of Spain, losing his second straight match after winning nine of his first 11 this season. He had won the only other meeting with Sanchez.
"Sanchez played a great match from the beginning and I couldn't respond," said Kuerten, a three-time French Open champion. "I knew I wasn't going to play my best tennis in this match because I am feeling sick."
Kuerten arrived in Argentina with flu-like symptoms. He didn't get here until Monday, after losing in straight sets to Fernando Gonzalez in Vina del Mar.
"I hurt all over my body and I feel very tired," said Kuerten, who has 19 career titles, 13 on clay. "I wanted to play, however, because I didn't want to disappoint the people coming to watch me.
"I am taking medicines now and most important is to get better. I am very motivated for what is coming next, although it is difficult to talk about my ambitions because I am very tired."
Sanchez posted the second most impressive win of his career, following his victory over then-world No. 1 Andre Agassi in the first round of last year's Tennis Masters Series event in Rome.