Placing himself in the last eight at Roland Garros, the best tennis player of Serbia Novak Djokovic made career high result. That was good enough for journalists to greet him in huge number, just like they did to Ana Ivanovic last year at the lounge of Hotel Intercontinental.
- Reason for this gathering is a very good one. I made career highest result, raised my game to another level and shew that I can compete with the very best. To be in last eight at Roland Garros is huge honour, but I am disappointed cause I had to retire to Nadal - these are the very first impressions of Novak Djokivic after his return from Paris.
His back injury is to be blamed for his disappointment, and that is why Djokovic will have to forfeit from Halle tournament which starts next week.
- I was lucky the injury was not that serious, and very soon I will start with my training. I will be in Germany next week, and then I'll go to Holland where I'll play an tournament before Wimbledon - says Djokovic.
At Roland Garros you played four tough matches, even three of them were with seeded players. Which one of them left the highest impression on you?
- Definitely the one against Gonzales. There I gave my maximum, and to win against ninth player in the world is a prove that I can play top tennis. Match with Monfilis was infront of 10.000 people who cheered for home player. It's not easy to play against French players in France.
Match with Nadal?
- I spent lots of energy in previous three matches, so I had less energy against Nadal. I must work harder on my physical condition if I want to beat him and Federer. I think that Nadal and I were even during the match, but you have to be 100% ready against him.
Are you still with the statement you gave after the quarterfinal that it was you who dictated the match, not Nadal?
- Yes, I do. Maybe it didn't look like that to people around, but that is how I felt. It was me who was winning or losing points, and he is a type of player who waits for faults. That will help me a lot in future.
The idea to write "Vamos Nole" with colored pencil on your shoes was all yours.
- Yes, with my physiotherapist Milos Jelisavcic I decided to do that before the match. We just wanted to have some fun.
There were no coach with you, with whom will you work in future?
- Most probably with Slovak Marian Vajda. He used to coach Dominik Hrbaty. He used to work with him since he was 15, and when he was 14 in the world. I need a coach now, I don't think I am strong enough to work alone. By the way, Marian Vajda was born on 24th of May 1965, and in September 1987 he was 34th player in the world.
Stamping the ball many times before serving was making Eurosport commentators mad. Was that your plan, or you were nervous?
- It wasn't something I used to do. It's hard to play important matches, so I suppose I needed some time to concentrate myself better.
You seem very self-confident on the courts.
- That means a lot to me. Besides physical, tennis asks for mental strength, every player gets bothered to see his opponent full of self-confidence.
When new ATP ranking is announced on Monday you will enter top 50 players in the world. Does that change anything?
- I'll be around 45th place. That gives me opportunity to skip qualifications for big tournaments, which is important. After Wimbledon. I plan to play Gstad, Amersfoort and Umag.
Your expectations from Wimbledon?
- Last year I played for very first time on grass and I made third round. It turned out it suits me fine, so I really don't have best surface. I hope to get well soon and manage to defend those 90 points.
Where do you think you'll stand in rankings at the end of this year? Many believe you can make even top 10.
- I hope to enter top thirty by the end of this year. And for top ten, there is still time, I'm only 19, I have no reason to hurry. There are still some elements in my gave I need to work on. Of course, my final goal is to become number 1.
He's not becoming British!
Recently, British media were emphasizing story about possible change of citizenship, underlining that as a Brit, you would improve a lot better and would earn much more.
- The fact is I would earn a lot more, but I don't care about that. English journalists talked a lot, but my job is to play tennis. I am satisfied with my sponsors, and since with Monfilis and Marry I am one of the best teenagers out there, I believe interest for sponsors will be higher - Djokovic denied rumours of possible citizenship changing.
Federer could play even on sand
Swiss national team made up their mind to play on hard court against our national team. How do you find our chances against Federer and his team-mates?
- We are going to play on court similar to the one in Australia. I think they convinced themselves that it won't be easy with us. Federer is good on any surface, even sand, but I think we should seek our chance in Wawrinka who is not that good on hard courts. We have young and promising team, who can surprise on any surface, at any time - says Djokovic.