Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2) - Page 41 - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 12:56 AM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
Why so violent? Yes. It's a good question. It's a fight for control of a very lucrative business. The U.S. consumer demand drives the market, but it's the control of the supply where the violence occurs. It's an escalating thing. The beheading of rivals doesn't scare off the competition? Well, let's tear out their hearts and see if that does. It's a brutal, simplistic approach, but I think it is common in a gangster society, and especially one where the authorities are either cowed or corrupted.

Here is a 2009 article out of Harvard that explains the increase in violence since the rigid control of the PRI was removed. http://www.gov.harvard.edu/files/Sab...edOnline_0.pdf

This article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-10681249 has nice maps. At the bottom there is a map that lets you put your cursor over the particular state and see the death rate. There is a place at the top of the map to let you choose the year. There's also a chart at the very bottom. Chihuahua is particularly horrific, but is better in 2011 than 2010. In Yucatan the rate remains quite low.

This is an interesting blog with a recent entry on an arrest of one of the drug kingpins in late September and what that means. http://borderviolenceanalysis.typepad.com
It's so scary.

These are the cities I could choose:
  • CHIHUAHUA
  • CULIACAN
  • CIUDAD MENDOZA
  • GUADALAJARA
  • MORELIA
  • MONTERREY
  • SALTILLO
  • TOLUCA
  • XALAPA
  • ZACATECAS
  • GOMEZ PALACIO
  • MEXICO CITY
  • DURANGO
  • MINATITLAN
  • PUEBLA
  • TEPIC
  • TORREON
  • VERACRUZ PUERTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Third laundry in the washer


In bed I am
arm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #602 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 02:05 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Ok. Just off the top of my head Chihuahua, Monterrey, Durango, Veracruz and Guadalupe are no go zones. Mexico City is better, but there are those kidnappings where they take you to the ATM to withdraw money.

Looking them up.

Culiacan is right in the midst of the Sinaloa cartel's territory.
Ciudad Mendoza -- I can't really find it -- seems to be in the state of Veracruz.
Satillo is on the outskirts of Monterrey, so no.
Toluca looks to be about 40 or 50 km from Mexico City. It's in Mexico State. Not good, but not as bad as the northern part of the country.
Xalapa is in the state of Veracruz -- about 100 km from Veracruz.
Torreon -- way too far north -- and ditto for Gomez Placio. It's right by Torreon.

Can they not choose cities in the Yucatan peninsula?

Minatitlán is in the state of Veracruz, but it i much further to the south and edging over to the Yucatan peninsula. It's close to the gulf of mexico.
star is offline  
post #603 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:23 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Hubby left for India this afternoon. Brutus is sooo lost. He has been sticking to me for the last two and a half hour
Lee is offline  
post #604 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 01:09 AM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Star, fado night tomorrow in Coimbra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hubby left for India this afternoon. Brutus is sooo lost. He has been sticking to me for the last two and a half hour
How long will he be there?
arm is offline  
post #605 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Star, fado night tomorrow in Coimbra.



How long will he be there?
Tape it for me.


Lee, give Brutus a big hug from me.

It's funny, I had always imagined him as your dog in particular. I didn't know he was so attached to LeeHubby.

Also, since you've all been introduced to the Mexican Cartels now, it appears that the leader of the Zetas was gunned down in a battle with the Mexican Navy. But then the body was stolen from the funeral home. http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...rmed-gang.html

All this means more fighting within the Zetas and also with the Sinaloa cartel.

Also the Pakistani Taliban shot a 14 year old girl who had spoken out in favor of education for girls.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...-activist.html

and omg! http://www.latimes.com/news/nationwo...,7729791.story

Last edited by star; 10-10-2012 at 02:33 AM.
star is offline  
post #606 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 AM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

star is news central today. All sad though.

I have pretty much given up on Mexico, you will all.be relieved.to hear.

also insomnia is the word for today.
arm is offline  
post #607 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
star is news central today. All sad though.

I have pretty much given up on Mexico, you will all.be relieved.to hear.

also insomnia is the word for today.
Hate insomnia. I've been having a little bit of it lately. Last night for instance. Then it's hard for me to get back on a normal schedule.

I posted a story about a dog who escaped from home to find his owner who was in the hospital. In Mikey's thread. That was a happy story.
star is offline  
post #608 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 05:23 PM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Hubby is the one who walks Brutus grooms him and cleans up after him Hubby insists taking Brutus everywhere we go.

This morning, Brutus went a bit nuts because hubby was not in bed Hopefully he will finally settle down.

And after 26 hours, hubby finally settled in his hotel room and skyped me last night. Afterward, he would have to clean up and went meeting his co-workers there. No sleep. Lucky for him, he can sleep anywhere, unlike me, so he had adequate sleep in the plane.
Lee is offline  
post #609 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hubby is the one who walks Brutus grooms him and cleans up after him Hubby insists taking Brutus everywhere we go.

This morning, Brutus went a bit nuts because hubby was not in bed Hopefully he will finally settle down.

And after 26 hours, hubby finally settled in his hotel room and skyped me last night. Afterward, he would have to clean up and went meeting his co-workers there. No sleep. Lucky for him, he can sleep anywhere, unlike me, so he had adequate sleep in the plane.
I thought I responded to this earlier, but I don't see my post.

I think it's touching that LeeHubby has such a bond with Brutus, and that he is a caregiver too, not just a buddy. We'll have to see how he holds out for the next week-- More than a week, isn't it? Does the plane get in on the 22nd or 23rd?
star is offline  
post #610 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:03 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
23rd

What I disliked most is taking out the garbage.
Lee is offline  
post #611 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:18 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post

Also the Pakistani Taliban shot a 14 year old girl who had spoken out in favor of education for girls.
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/worl...-activist.html
It's on the evening news and I feel so sad about this. It's something that a lot of people in this world take the right of education for granted. And absolutely appalled that in some people's mind that demanding education is a deadly sin.

Even for my generation (I know I am an oldie ), I have a female cousin who had to stop her education after elementary school and worked in a factory to help her parents in supporting the family. In my old neighbourhood, there were some little girls who did not go to school at all because they had to take care of their infant siblings while their parents went to work. They were little kids themselves, like 6-7 years old
Lee is offline  
post #612 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 AM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
It's on the evening news and I feel so sad about this. It's something that a lot of people in this world take the right of education for granted. And absolutely appalled that in some people's mind that demanding education is a deadly sin.

Even for my generation (I know I am an oldie ), I have a female cousin who had to stop her education after elementary school and worked in a factory to help her parents in supporting the family. In my old neighbourhood, there were some little girls who did not go to school at all because they had to take care of their infant siblings while their parents went to work. They were little kids themselves, like 6-7 years old
I understand poverty and children having to work because their families are poor. My grandmother (the smartest person I ever have known) had to quit school in the 4th grade because her father was killed in a mining accident and everyone had to work for the family of five children to survive. What I can't understand is someone wanting to kill someone who has the desire and ability to go to school. Why would anyone want to kill a child or even a young teenage girl and especially one who had done nothing to hurt anyone else.
star is offline  
post #613 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 03:38 AM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by star View Post
I understand poverty and children having to work because their families are poor. My grandmother (the smartest person I ever have known) had to quit school in the 4th grade because her father was killed in a mining accident and everyone had to work for the family of five children to survive. What I can't understand is someone wanting to kill someone who has the desire and ability to go to school. Why would anyone want to kill a child or even a young teenage girl and especially one who had done nothing to hurt anyone else.
Control. Those men cannot control women that easily in their country once they were educated. It's sad but true everywhere. And fear is another way to control people. She dare to stand up and fight for herself and encouraging other young girls to do the same scared the s*** out of them so they wanted to suppress that voice.
Lee is offline  
post #614 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 05:29 PM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

I was driving home after dropping off Jr. Traffic was really slow because of construction and there's a game on the radio with three callers, each was asked with the same question and all had to answered correctly to win the prize. Today's question is who are the two people in tonight's VP debate. First two answered Biden and Ryan but the third one said Romney and Ryan
Lee is offline  
post #615 of 5088 (permalink) Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Look, you know, our draws are not rigged they are just unlikely. (pt2)

Checking up on my vfamily. How is everyone?

It's that party week again in Coimbra, plus school work, plus other work, I barely have time to breath. But I don't mind.

Also, Nole
arm is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome