Look, this is the new and improved djokoforum chat thread, you know?" - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:37 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

I have to admit that oncology is not for me either. But might be a bit too soon for me to say. People always it takes courage to go to psychiatry, but I actually don't think it takes all that courage, unlike oncology.

which areas did you consider besides oncology? What made you choose it? If I may ask
arm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Well to make a long story short
When I was in Med School my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and that started me doing all sorts of learning on my own ( onc was not something one really learned in Med School when I was attending) So I really always wanted oncology but actually thought of MedOnc before I happened to chance upon the specialty of radonc which fascinated me much more so that's that. I was accepted into a really good residency because when I was applying it was rather easy for an American trained student to get a position. RadOnc had for years been the bastard child of oncology .

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #93 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:47 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

and................although I sometimes bemoan my age I was in the right place at the right time so to speak

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #94 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 08:59 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Sorry about your mom Thanks for sharing and it makes sense!
I like internal medicine very much, because it's the basics, but here in Portugal that means having no personal life at all, your job is your life. And I don't want that for me. When the time comes for me to choose, I will certainly take may factors in consideration, and having time for myself, my family and friends will be a huge one.
Some peole will say I am not a true doctor and I am not commited enough. I don't care, just like an engineer has a life besides his job, all the doctors are entiled to that as well. I want to help people and I want to be good at it, but I like other stuff as well.
arm is offline  
post #95 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:02 PM
country flag Lee
Gugaholic
 
Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under the blue sky
Posts: 84,779
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Sitting at the gate waiting for the plane heading home.

Funeral went smoothly and thank my FIL's spirit because it started to rain on my way to Calgary for two days but the sun came out the morning of his funeral.

Hubby and I have married for 23 1/2 years, added another 2 years before the marriage, but yesterday was the first time I saw him cried when his brother gave the eulogy. My boy cried in public the first time too (not counting when he was a baby/toddler).

I forgot my wool jacket for the funeral but fortunately, the black wrap I brought did a very good job for keeping me warm as temp. was at mid-low 10s. The problem was I woke up at 3:30 the morning of the funeral to remember this. At least I remember to pack my clothes last minute from home. I looked like a zombie most of the time here

The good thing is I saw a few people I missed. We had dinner with Jr.'s godparents as they were away last time we were in town. I had a long talk with my niece about her life and wedding plans. We also missed hubby's older nephew but that poor boy had even less sleeping then I did. He had to finish 2 projects from Uni during his less than 48 hours stay after he finished one exam before he caught the flight. We also ran into the retired priest who was quite important to our life during our time in Calgary.

time to board the plane.
Lee is offline  
post #96 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:13 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Sitting at the gate waiting for the plane heading home.

Funeral went smoothly and thank my FIL's spirit because it started to rain on my way to Calgary for two days but the sun came out the morning of his funeral.

Hubby and I have married for 23 1/2 years, added another 2 years before the marriage, but yesterday was the first time I saw him cried when his brother gave the eulogy. My boy cried in public the first time too (not counting when he was a baby/toddler).

I forgot my wool jacket for the funeral but fortunately, the black wrap I brought did a very good job for keeping me warm as temp. was at mid-low 10s. The problem was I woke up at 3:30 the morning of the funeral to remember this. At least I remember to pack my clothes last minute from home. I looked like a zombie most of the time here

The good thing is I saw a few people I missed. We had dinner with Jr.'s godparents as they were away last time we were in town. I had a long talk with my niece about her life and wedding plans. We also missed hubby's older nephew but that poor boy had even less sleeping then I did. He had to finish 2 projects from Uni during his less than 48 hours stay after he finished one exam before he caught the flight. We also ran into the retired priest who was quite important to our life during our time in Calgary.

time to board the plane.
Glad you managed to take some good things from this trip. It's always good spending time with family, regardless of the circunstances. Now you get to go home and rest. It must have been strange and worrying see hubby and Lee Jr cry. But it's only normal, everyone will be fine soon.

My grandfather's brother (my father's uncle) also died last friday. It was not very traumatic to my family, because my father didn't have a special connection with him like I have with all my aunts and uncles... because he had so many uncles and aunts that the family was a bit apart. It would have been very difficult for my grandfather to handle, but sadly with his condition (he has alzheimer's) he didn't understand and has no idea what happened.
arm is offline  
post #97 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Sorry about your mom Thanks for sharing and it makes sense!
I like internal medicine very much, because it's the basics, but here in Portugal that means having no personal life at all, your job is your life. And I don't want that for me. When the time comes for me to choose, I will certainly take may factors in consideration, and having time for myself, my family and friends will be a huge one.
Some peole will say I am not a true doctor and I am not commited enough. I don't care, just like an engineer has a life besides his job, all the doctors are entiled to that as well. I want to help people and I want to be good at it, but I like other stuff as well.
good for you; me too! And I am a workaholic but the specialty allows me time! Look I slum on MTF and work too!

Lee

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #98 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:20 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
good for you; me too! And I am a workaholic but the specialty allows me time! Look I slum on MTF and work too!

Lee
Never thought about it that way! but you're right! You have time for MTF so ---> you must have time for other hobbies and that obviously means you have for the most important thing ----> family and friends! Good for you
arm is offline  
post #99 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:29 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Well I am a bit under the weather today so slumming all day in the house even though it was gorgeous outside Youngest has been out and about all day and is due home soon so time to make dinner I guess.

Oldest is away in college and hubby is there with him until thursday when he comes home. Funny is the the house stays really clean and I have minimal laundry when it is just me or one of the kids Doesn't say much for hubs does it...............

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #100 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Well I am a bit under the weather today so slumming all day in the house even though it was gorgeous outside Youngest has been out and about all day and is due home soon so time to make dinner I guess.

Oldest is away in college and hubby is there with him until thursday when he comes home. Funny is the the house stays really clean and I have minimal laundry when it is just me or one of the kids Doesn't say much for hubs does it...............
Men The oldest is in college near seatle right? In Washington state? But you live the east coast? Or maybe I have the wrong idea?
arm is offline  
post #101 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:37 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Nope that's right; good memory!
We bought a retirement place when the economy started tanking here and the housing market in Seattle went bust- perfect timing. So hubs lives out there for the summer and the rest of us fly back and forth. Eldest is hoping to get a job out there for the summer as well so he will have a place to live. And he and hubs drove his 1999 Subaru out there this summer so wheels too!

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #102 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Nope that's right; good memory!
We bought a retirement place when the economy started tanking here and the housing market in Seattle went bust- perfect timing. So hubs lives out there for the summer and the rest of us fly back and forth. Eldest is hoping to get a job out there for the summer as well so he will have a place to live. And he and hubs drove his 1999 Subaru out there this summer so wheels too!
OMG they drve there! can I go with them next time? can I? can I? How cool! How long did it take them? How many states did they cross? I'm asking too many questions, sorry. But ask Lee or star, I love these kind of trips. and father/son bounding during it, how cool! movie-like

My memory is not nearly good enough for a med student.
arm is offline  
post #103 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:53 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

OMG they had so much fun together. Pics are up on FB and I can try and put some on here.............

They were in New York, Wisc, Illinois, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Wash. I think that's all.

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander
cobalt60 is offline  
post #104 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Pacific Northwest Home
 
cobalt60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 31,675
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

hmmm here we go?


If it works they won't be up for long so take a peek quick!

The great thing about democracy is that it gives every voter a chance to do something stupid.
Art Spander

Last edited by cobalt60; 10-09-2011 at 10:13 PM.
cobalt60 is offline  
post #105 of 5026 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Blown Out On the Trail
 
star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 62,739
                     
Re: The new (and improved) Djokoforum chat thread! Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Sitting at the gate waiting for the plane heading home.

Funeral went smoothly and thank my FIL's spirit because it started to rain on my way to Calgary for two days but the sun came out the morning of his funeral.

Hubby and I have married for 23 1/2 years, added another 2 years before the marriage, but yesterday was the first time I saw him cried when his brother gave the eulogy. My boy cried in public the first time too (not counting when he was a baby/toddler).

I forgot my wool jacket for the funeral but fortunately, the black wrap I brought did a very good job for keeping me warm as temp. was at mid-low 10s. The problem was I woke up at 3:30 the morning of the funeral to remember this. At least I remember to pack my clothes last minute from home. I looked like a zombie most of the time here

The good thing is I saw a few people I missed. We had dinner with Jr.'s godparents as they were away last time we were in town. I had a long talk with my niece about her life and wedding plans. We also missed hubby's older nephew but that poor boy had even less sleeping then I did. He had to finish 2 projects from Uni during his less than 48 hours stay after he finished one exam before he caught the flight. We also ran into the retired priest who was quite important to our life during our time in Calgary.

time to board the plane.
It was a quite intense time — sadness and joy. We are waiting for you to come back and hope you can get some rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
OMG they had so much fun together. Pics are up on FB and I can try and put some on here.............

They were in New York, Wisc, Illinois, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, Wash. I think that's all.
They will both remember that trip and talk about it for the rest of their lives!

They skipped Montana!

No other New England states?

Raquel wants to travel everywhere and see everything.
star is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome