Novak News & Interviews Vol.2 - Page 18 - MensTennisForums.com
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #256 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,764
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Sorry when I said "all", I didin't mean all, as obviously I don't know how every Serbian feels about it. So, didn't mean to cause any offence in case I did, I just meant a lot and including plenty of prominent/public(or whatever you want to call it) Serbs too.
Amber Spyglass is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #257 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
However, I do believe that Nole should have never made that statement back then, he is entitled to his own opion obviously, and had he been asked about it in an interview, etc... it would be normal of him to state in a discrete way. But what he did was far from discrete . And it's not like he is a "regular" person... what he says has a pretty big impact. Obvisouly I do understand why he did it, he was a bit impulsive, he was a kid with a strong opinion... maybe I would have done the same. But not being part of this whole thing, I still think it was not a right move.
I was obviously joking, because I don't think anyone here is more politically "engaged" than moi!

That said, let's remind ourselves what happened after he made those remarks in 2008, the year he was supposed to follow up his AO victory by overtaking Fedal:

Albanian nationalists (or some strain thereof) issued threats on Nole's life and security was stepped up for him during Wimby. Then he crashed out in the second round against Safin.

You know, the same Safin whose very worst surface was grass. Yes, Nole lost to that very Safin, who after that had an open draw all the way to meeting Federer - if memory serves. That loss also ensured the Russian would have an unbeaten, irreversible record against Nole.

Subsequently, every time the Serb was asked about those remarks, his stock reply was: "I'm an athlete, I don't really want to talk about politics, etc."

Naturally, I thought he'd learnt his lesson and done some growing up. Because as the behaviour of their co-religionists elsewhere demonstrates on practically a daily basis, those Albanians/Kosovars don't make threats lightly.

The "je ne regrette rien" admission has, alas, dashed my hope. As with his insistence on playing in Cincy and DC, this episode has me thinking maybe he needs adult supervision.

Because, on top of frazzling over his play, why the **** should I have to worry that some whackjob (and I'm not referring to Nadal/Federer fans) would blow up my favourite player while he's signing authographs or something?


Speaking of adult supervision, just bring back Cetojevic already, k, Nole? A mere two months of ploughing on Igorlessly and he's regained the title of "King of Retirements".
jchuabh is offline  
post #258 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:12 PM
country flag NID
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,007
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

He has every right to say anything he wants. His involvement at the time was not surprising, given that his family is from northern part of Kosovo.
It's not like he brought that issue himself, it was the journalist who asked a question and he did not chicken out.
NID is online now  
post #259 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

One other thing: these terrorists want publicity for their putative cause.

What could possibly gain them more notoriety than to off Novak Djokovic at this point in time?

They're also totally irrational. One of them shot dead a couple of American soldiers in Germany a few months ago; this despite the US siding with the Albanian Kosovars.
jchuabh is offline  
post #260 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Nobody is disputing he has every right to get himself killed.

It's called suicide.
jchuabh is offline  
post #261 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Registered User
 
purpleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here, I was in Serbia, kosovo, Albania, Bosnia and Albania this year. I talked to people from all these countries and heard their version. It's a very sensitive issue this one. This is not like Spain and Basque country, this goes way beyond that. I honestely don't have an opion, I was not born in any of the countries, and eventhugh I know a bit about history and the people's opinion it's not nearly enough for me to construct and opion on based on sollid argument. However, I do believe that Nole should have never made that statement back then, he is entitled to his own opion obviously, and had he been asked about it in an interview, etc... it would be normal of him to state in a discrete way. But what he did was far from discrete . And it's not like he is a "regular" person... what he says has a pretty big impact. Obvisouly I do understand why he did it, he was a bit impulsive, he was a kid with a strong opinion... maybe I would have done the same. But not being part of this whole thing, I still think it was not a right move.
yes, it's never that simple, one side is right, the other is wrong, etc. There have enough of this kind of things in my own country....

德约科维奇
purpleyes is offline  
post #262 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:24 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

the fact that other sportsmen or public figures stated their opinion doesn't change mine at all. I am all in favour for piece and tolerance, you all know that. Specially tolerance, that's almost my second name. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, amen to that. But everyone should also know when to shut up, it's a quality that we all know was not nole's a few years ago. he spoke, very loud, and there were consequences for him. But besides that, when you are that famous and influential you need to be careful about what you say. I love him, I respect his opinion, but just because it's him i am not going to look away.

Last edited by arm; 10-09-2011 at 12:31 PM.
arm is offline  
post #263 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:29 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchuabh View Post
Nobody is disputing he has every right to get himself killed.

It's called suicide.
Exactly. And besides this, it sucks but it's the reality, being a public figure as influential as he is has got him a few duties that I am glad not to have. He needs to know when to keep his opinion for himself. Afterall, we all know that nadal has been a bit of sore loser in some situations and we never heard him say anything about it. it's called filter...
arm is offline  
post #264 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Fiddlesticks!

Nole is trying to overtake Fedal in the endorsement stakes. At the end of the day, that's what Novak Incorporated is all about. And to cash in on his popularity, he needs to be accessible and not surrounded by hordes of heavily armed security.

Being accessible means being vulnerable. And the last thing you want is to increase your vulnerability by making murderous enemies with the motivation and means to take you out.

It is THAT simple.
jchuabh is offline  
post #265 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Sorry, Fortuna, the "Fiddlesticks" comment wasn't directed at you.
jchuabh is offline  
post #266 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered User
 
purpleyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 135
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

I think we better skip this topic.... it's never a good one.

德约科维奇
purpleyes is offline  
post #267 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:35 PM
country flag arm
Registered User
 
arm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 27,929
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleyes View Post
I think we better skip this topic.... it's never a good one.
We are not discussing the kosovo issue really. That is very risky indeed.
arm is offline  
post #268 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 7,846
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Trust me that part was not a main topic of the interview at all. Just a few lines. It's the Serb newspapers or tabloids that have made a mountain out of a molehill.

About the interview with Spiegel, it was full three-page story and pictures, but there is nothing that we haven't read, heard.

The first page, and an ad for digital Spiegel in the middle of nowhere. Considering it wasn't even one of the featured stories of the issue, they seemed to find the picture very eye-catching.
shuhrat is offline  
post #269 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 216
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

And what's that Sampras told him about staying on top?

That's right: Keep it simple!

Is taunting terrorists all over again "keeping it simple"? Actually, "complicating things" is possibly the mildest way one can put it.

How quickly he forgets, and that coming from his idol, too.
jchuabh is offline  
post #270 of 1703 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,764
                     
Re: Novak News & Interviews Vol.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm View Post
the fact that other sportsmen or public figures stated their opinion doesn't change mine at all. I am all in favour for piece and tolerance, you all know that. Specially tolerance, that's almost my second name. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, amen to that. But everyone should also know when to shut up, it's a quality that we all know was not nole's a few years ago. he spoke, very loud, and their were consequences for him. But besides that, when you are that famous and influential you need to be careful about what you say. I love him, I respect his opinion, but just because it's him i am not going to look away.
I'm not agreeing that it's right or wrong because other athletes said it. Everyone is free to have their own opinion on the matter, I was just saying, I don't think that his "youth, immaturity, loud mouth" that we may have associated with him have anything to do with it. Other athletes of different ages and personalities did the same thing. When he says he doesn't regret it, we might see that as- he doesn't regret it because he still has the same views on Kosovo but I think he probably means he doesn't even regret the going public part either, even now when he is "matured". It was an irrelevant comment really by me , I was just saying it because it was the vibe I got from reading it.
Amber Spyglass is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome