---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread--- - Page 7 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 535
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Disappointing but typical

After a great start to the year, I don't see him going much further than top 95 in the short term
OZTENNIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 12:54 PM
Registered User
 
aussie_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,178
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
Disappointing but typical

After a great start to the year, I don't see him going much further than top 95 in the short term
yeah, sadly, i'm thinking the same thing. The start of the year brought up so much hope. Thi week's effort was a joke.
aussie_fan is offline  
post #93 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Registered User
 
aussie_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3,178
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Well, an even better performance this week, out first round, losing 6-4, 6-4 as the no.1 seed. I'm really confused with this bad form.
aussie_fan is offline  
 
post #94 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,122
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Looking at the tournament drawsheets the two recent losses perhaps don't plot as badly as it looks at first sight -- Crivoi reached the final in Rome and Balleret is on fire in the Rijeka tournament. Certainly his draws could have been a lot easier.
TankingTheSet is offline  
post #95 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Registered User
 
zizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 106
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Didn't Ballaret lose 1/4 final? No treally fire, just a good draw.. Gooch needs to step it up
zizz is offline  
post #96 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,122
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

He withdrew from San Remo challenger but is in the entry-list for Portschach ATP next week, maybe he plays qualifying there. In any case he is guaranteed a main draw spot at Roland Garros. He will have to either get fit or turn around his form to make an impact there.
TankingTheSet is offline  
post #97 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 535
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

don't hold ur breath
OZTENNIS is offline  
post #98 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

U guys keep saying lack of fitness, do u mean that hes never improved his fitness to be at a top 50 level (or at least to win on clay), or that somethin happened which caused him to lose some conditioning??

I really think he has more potential than any other aussie on tour right now, hes pretty young but hes got the deadliest serve in the game cos of his height and being a lefty, and hes got so much power, I really think if he got into awesome shape maybe got someone like a gil reyes to work him like a horse he would be in the top 20 and would kill on grass he had some pretty good volleys too.

Does he play doubles?? With someone like him youd want him playing as much as possible and doubles will really help that return and the volleys but the legs have got to be super strong for someone his size.
the_natural is offline  
post #99 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,122
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

I think he may have overextended hiimself a bit around March, what some activitity sheets don't show is that he played a lot of qualifying matches during that time-frame, at one point during Indian Wells and Sunrise Challenger he played 9 matches in as many days winning 7 of them. Maybe he has been carrying some kind (minor?) injury as a result.

To his advantage his ranking is sufficiently high to gain direct entry into a number upcoming tournaments, including Roland Garros, Queens and Wimbledon, so he won't have to play a lot of qualifying matches.
TankingTheSet is offline  
post #100 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 10:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankingTheSet View Post
I think he may have overextended hiimself a bit around March, what some activitity sheets don't show is that he played a lot of qualifying matches during that time-frame, at one point during Indian Wells and Sunrise Challenger he played 9 matches in as many days winning 7 of them. Maybe he has been carrying some kind (minor?) injury as a result.

To his advantage his ranking is sufficiently high to gain direct entry into a number upcoming tournaments, including Roland Garros, Queens and Wimbledon, so he won't have to play a lot of qualifying matches.
Fox sports said that Guccione got in cos of 2 guys pulling out (kiefer and someone else), and thats why hes in at RG
the_natural is offline  
post #101 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:06 AM
Registered User
 
zizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 106
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
U guys keep saying lack of fitness, do u mean that hes never improved his fitness to be at a top 50 level (or at least to win on clay), or that somethin happened which caused him to lose some conditioning??

I really think he has more potential than any other aussie on tour right now, hes pretty young but hes got the deadliest serve in the game cos of his height and being a lefty, and hes got so much power, I really think if he got into awesome shape maybe got someone like a gil reyes to work him like a horse he would be in the top 20 and would kill on grass he had some pretty good volleys too.

Does he play doubles?? With someone like him youd want him playing as much as possible and doubles will really help that return and the volleys but the legs have got to be super strong for someone his size.

You have to understand that a big guy like gooch is more likely to carry injuries if he push too hard. It is a lot of body to be moving around a tennis court. Especially on clay where a 3 setter can go for over 3-4 hours. I agree that on grass he can do some damage and on altitude courts. But he needs to improve his ground strokes and not rely so much on his serve, cause as it is now, when his serve breaks down, so does his whole game. I dont agree with that he has the most chance of the aussies to get to the top 50, I think he has a good chance, but so does Luczak. Atleast thats what all the players on the tour think. Haas- Rochus- Agassi even Wilander has said that about him. He just needs the support which he is now getting from the AIS just like gooch has been getting all his life..

Good luck all aussies
zizz is offline  
post #102 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 03:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 535
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

I don;t think Guccione needs AIS backing. I mean, look at Casey Dellacqua. She has basically no help from TA (no coach, manager etc), isn't part of the AIS squad (despite reaching and exceding criteria) and isn't, as yet, a permanent fixture in the Fed Cup team. Against the odds, casey has achieved a career high wta mark of 117.

On the other hand, Guccione has cruised through the junior ranks, and has had AIS backing for at least 4 years. He is now firmly entrenched in the Davis Cup team, so why not let the AIS go??? There are others out there who work just as hard (if not harder) and have just as much talent, that get no help at all...

Oh and by the way, i'd love to see Guccione play Luczak in R1 at Roland Garros, with Luczak winning easily...
OZTENNIS is offline  
post #103 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 858
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by zizz View Post
You have to understand that a big guy like gooch is more likely to carry injuries if he push too hard. It is a lot of body to be moving around a tennis court. Especially on clay where a 3 setter can go for over 3-4 hours. I agree that on grass he can do some damage and on altitude courts. But he needs to improve his ground strokes and not rely so much on his serve, cause as it is now, when his serve breaks down, so does his whole game. I dont agree with that he has the most chance of the aussies to get to the top 50, I think he has a good chance, but so does Luczak. Atleast thats what all the players on the tour think. Haas- Rochus- Agassi even Wilander has said that about him. He just needs the support which he is now getting from the AIS just like gooch has been getting all his life..

Good luck all aussies
I had high hopes for luczak for the clay court season after last years Aussie but he got injured didnt he?? i like his demeanor, but I just said i thought he gucci had a better chance cos hes got a huge game, I mean look at KARLOVIC, that guys prob the perfect example, he just has a serve really and hes a worse mover than Guc, and hes right handed too, but he comes into net and plays alotta doubles and hes ok (better than roddick) at net, plus his groundies arent as good as Gucci's so thats why i thought hed have a better chance of crackin the top 50 than the other guys, if he learns to play more like Ivo, no baseline points on his first and possibly even his second serve, try and come in on opponents serve. But it is tough being brought up as a baseliner

But yeh peter has a better chance of makin it if hes more dedicated cos hes not as injury prone and hes better from the baseline, better mover, i just think Chris has aloooottt of potential in the hands of a great coach and trainer.

BTW could u gimme those quotes by Agassi and WILANDER, I cant believe guys like that would know anythin about our aussies!!!!
the_natural is offline  
post #104 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Registered User
 
zizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 106
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_natural View Post
I had high hopes for luczak for the clay court season after last years Aussie but he got injured didnt he?? i like his demeanor, but I just said i thought he gucci had a better chance cos hes got a huge game, I mean look at KARLOVIC, that guys prob the perfect example, he just has a serve really and hes a worse mover than Guc, and hes right handed too, but he comes into net and plays alotta doubles and hes ok (better than roddick) at net, plus his groundies arent as good as Gucci's so thats why i thought hed have a better chance of crackin the top 50 than the other guys, if he learns to play more like Ivo, no baseline points on his first and possibly even his second serve, try and come in on opponents serve. But it is tough being brought up as a baseliner

But yeh peter has a better chance of makin it if hes more dedicated cos hes not as injury prone and hes better from the baseline, better mover, i just think Chris has aloooottt of potential in the hands of a great coach and trainer.

BTW could u gimme those quotes by Agassi and WILANDER, I cant believe guys like that would know anythin about our aussies!!!!

Wilander did comentary for Eurosport at the 2006 Aussie Open where he rated different players and their game after and before matches, that's when he commented on peter's game. Peter has also practised with the swedish guys in Bastad which is near where he and his wife (to be I think) lives.
Agassi said it after his mathc against Pete at Queens 2005 where agassi had a close escape. As we all know Rochus said it after their matchup at 06 aussie open.

I agree that Gooch can have agreat career, but as I mentioned I don't think he is the only one. But he does have a huge game.

Lets hope they dont play eachother at the French and that they can both do some damage. That is what Australian tennis needs. And to shut all nasty reporters up that there is no talent in Oz tennis.
zizz is offline  
post #105 of 815 (permalink) Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM
Registered User
 
zizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 106
                     
Re: ---Chris Guccione Cheering Thread---

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZTENNIS View Post
I don;t think Guccione needs AIS backing. I mean, look at Casey Dellacqua. She has basically no help from TA (no coach, manager etc), isn't part of the AIS squad (despite reaching and exceding criteria) and isn't, as yet, a permanent fixture in the Fed Cup team. Against the odds, casey has achieved a career high wta mark of 117.

On the other hand, Guccione has cruised through the junior ranks, and has had AIS backing for at least 4 years. He is now firmly entrenched in the Davis Cup team, so why not let the AIS go??? There are others out there who work just as hard (if not harder) and have just as much talent, that get no help at all...

Oh and by the way, i'd love to see Guccione play Luczak in R1 at Roland Garros, with Luczak winning easily...

Where did you get the information that Casey isn't part of the AIS? Casey has been travellling without a coach and without the support of TA in the past but is since the begining of this year part of the AIS. As is Alun Jones, Peter Luczak.

Good luck to Chris and Pete at the French. lets hope they DON'T play eachother!!
zizz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome