James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney - MensTennisForums.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
scotthongkong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 55
Posts: 1,438
                     
James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated. Before Tomic and Guccione qualified we had one male player Matthew Ebden in the main draw as a wild card. I can understand del Potro to a certain extent but James Ward for the UK???????
scotthongkong is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Age: 24
Posts: 727
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Sydney organisers have been know to give some wildcards to deserving players/players who attract crowds but also "local Sydney players" (undeserving of a WC). Makes me wonder or guess whether this James Ward is based in Sydney and had to suck some cock (excuse my language) to get into the main draw.

Live Aussie Tennis Matches streamed on

Tomic vs Querry on http://fancity.yolasite.com/
save ausdecline is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:26 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 32
Posts: 7,500
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

I asked the same thing in the Tournament thread.

Sydney Entry List/Fact Sheet (updated January 10, 2011)

A poster from the UK said "Part of an agreement with UK tennis association"

lllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I think Kokkinakis will be the most successful player born in the 90s.
n8 is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 06:56 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

To be more specific it's an agreement with Queens Club. Remember how they gave Tomic a wildcard to Queens last year? Well this is part of the deal, that we give one to a UK player to Sydney.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
scotthongkong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 55
Posts: 1,438
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

I just feel like our blokes struggle as it is and a wild card in one of the very few tournaments we have each year to a player from the UK really does not seem the right thing to do. We could have had only one player if the two boys did not qualify today. I think it is a really stupid decision.
scotthongkong is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthongkong View Post
I just feel like our blokes struggle as it is and a wild card in one of the very few tournaments we have each year to a player from the UK really does not seem the right thing to do. We could have had only one player if the two boys did not qualify today. I think it is a really stupid decision.
Understand your viewpoint and to an extent I agree with you, but on the other hand it's very important that our players get experience and play overseas on different surfaces. I mean, the whole season isn't played in Australia is it so if they really are good enough, they will make use of the opportunity presented at Queens, whoever the player may be.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,628
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotthongkong View Post
I just feel like our blokes struggle as it is and a wild card in one of the very few tournaments we have each year to a player from the UK really does not seem the right thing to do. We could have had only one player if the two boys did not qualify today. I think it is a really stupid decision.
You have to understand the Tennis Australia made this agreement with the best intentions in mind for our future generation (Tomic specifically in this case). I believe TA did a similar deal back in 2009/2010 where Bernard received a wildcard into Wimbledon qualifying due to his ranking not being high enough at the time and in return Laura Robson also received a qualifying wildcard into the 2010 Australian Open. We are simply utilizing the tools in our hands to give our players chances to play in overseas tournaments, for too long our players have struggled to get results outside of Australia and this is a step in the right direction and we should be commending TA for doing it.

The unfortunate thing about the situation was Juan Martin Del Potro coming back and requesting a wildcard into Sydney, which he was always going to get. If it weren't for Del Potro requesting a wildcard we would have two players to give wildcards to and I doubt anyone would be complaining. The worrying factor could be Bernard receiving a wildcard into Monte Carlo Masters last year and us losing a wildcard to Monaco for the AO or something like that, that would really hurt us.
Matchu is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 10:40 AM
au_sports_opinion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

a wildcard here is worth more than there because we have more depth so its not a good trade imo.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,628
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consigliere View Post
a wildcard here is worth more than there because we have more depth so its not a good trade imo.
Queens without a shadow of a doubt pulls a much much stronger field than Brisbane and Sydney so to say that it is not a good trade is just ridiculous. Bernard may have been drawn to play Nadal on grass second round in Queens (arguably the most prestigious 250 tournament on the tour) but that would not happen in Sydney or Brisbane. You can't underestimate an experience like that for a 17 year old. Surely you can understand that is much more better for Austalian tennis than having given a wildcard to someone like Millman or Matosevic who would most likely lose their first rounds in Sydney.

Just because Australia has more players ranked between the 100-250 region does not mean we shouldn't be using opportunities like this to give our players international experience, especially on Grass which is extremely rare on the tour. If it weren't for Del Potro any other year if we were to do this deal we would have two players in the main draw of Sydney and one playing in Queens guaranteed, how is that not good? I mean look at the history of Aussie wildcards, really analyze it because hardly any of them get passed the first round in Brisbane/Adelaide, Sydney or even Melbourne.
Matchu is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,896
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Can't agree with you Matchu. A player would get even better experience playing the qualifying at Queen's than playing a top seed in the Main Draw and losing confidence. Look at this weekend - Tomic played three great confidence building matches in qualifying - the same thing he should have done in Brisbane. He has now justified his place in the main draw and for any further WC;s TA sends his way this summer. The WC swop is not beneficial in this case to the Australian players in my opinion.
RustyOz is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:01 AM
au_sports_opinion
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
Queens without a shadow of a doubt pulls a much much stronger field than Brisbane and Sydney so to say that it is not a good trade is just ridiculous. Bernard may have been drawn to play Nadal on grass second round in Queens (arguably the most prestigious 250 tournament on the tour) but that would not happen in Sydney or Brisbane. You can't underestimate an experience like that for a 17 year old. Surely you can understand that is much more better for Austalian tennis than having given a wildcard to someone like Millman or Matosevic who would most likely lose their first rounds in Sydney.

Just because Australia has more players ranked between the 100-250 region does not mean we shouldn't be using opportunities like this to give our players international experience, especially on Grass which is extremely rare on the tour. If it weren't for Del Potro any other year if we were to do this deal we would have two players in the main draw of Sydney and one playing in Queens guaranteed, how is that not good? I mean look at the history of Aussie wildcards, really analyze it because hardly any of them get passed the first round in Brisbane/Adelaide, Sydney or even Melbourne.
fk me the english dont even give wildcards to their own players at wimbledon because theyre so sh1t.

next you'll try and tell me we should give a qatari guy a wildcard because the doha cutoff is better than here.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:00 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Don't see that big of a problem here. Our players have to learn how to play overseas and on different surfaces like I said before, and this is a guarenteed chance to do that. And like Matchu said before, it's not every year that a player like Del Potro will request a wildcard so we will still have an opportunity to give 2 wildcards to Aussies.

This decision is designed to benefit us in the future anyway.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
scotthongkong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 55
Posts: 1,438
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
Can't agree with you Matchu. A player would get even better experience playing the qualifying at Queen's than playing a top seed in the Main Draw and losing confidence. Look at this weekend - Tomic played three great confidence building matches in qualifying - the same thing he should have done in Brisbane. He has now justified his place in the main draw and for any further WC;s TA sends his way this summer. The WC swop is not beneficial in this case to the Australian players in my opinion.
Well said RustyOz. I can not agree with Matchu's standpoint here at all.
scotthongkong is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 AM
Registered User
 
Hewitt =Legend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Portugal (at heart)
Posts: 10,504
                     
Re: James Ward ...please explain the wildcard in Sydney

Most of our players current rankings are not even good enough to get into Queens qualies directly so they wouldn't even get an opportunity there. I believe they are thinking long term with this agreement and its refreshing to see.

I understand perfectly where scotthongkong and rustyoz are coming from and yes It's annoying that more of our home players didn't get into Sydney, but sooner or later we have to learn how to travel the world and play in contrasting environments and this agreement gives them the opportunity. How often do we see Aussies play so well at home and then do nothing for the rest of the year. Gooch in Adelaide and Sydney, Sirianni in Adelaide, Looch in Sydney last year, Tomic hasn't matched his Aussie form overseas and you could even throw in Ball making the final of his home town in LA. Also remains to be seen how Ebden will do after his QF in Brisbane. Apart from Hewitt, and Looch making a few QF here and there these are our players best results on the ATP World Tour.

This trend has to broaden if we want to succeed as a powerful tennis nation again and this partnership with Queens is a small step in the right direction.

Life is an orange and you're just a little pip.

Ol' Rusty Hewitt - Keeping me moist since 1998.

B-Nard4Lyfe.

BoGaNtiLIdiE.
Hewitt =Legend is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome