James Duckworth Cheering Thread - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Registered User
 
Chris.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,392
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Maybe he won't play Miami? He might just stay on the clay in Europe.
Chris. is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,628
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
I don´t really understand why James isnt´t playing IW he could have competed in qualies at least... playing Rabat doesn´t make sense at all if he is playing Miami after.... why would he play on clay and then back on hard and why would he travel to the US?... lost money in my opinion but it would be fine to play Miami on the other hand..
I would say it is almost definite that James will enter the challenger the following week in Marrakech, Morocco (effectively ruling himself out of Miami qualies). From there I would imagine he'll just travel around Europe (mostly France and Italy) playing clay challengers and perhaps the ocassional ATP qualifying in the lead up to Roland Garros qualifying. He only has 13 points to defend between now and the start of Roland Garros so there is lots of room for James to move up the ranking and perhaps clinch a seeding at Roland Garros qualifying.
Matchu is offline  
post #243 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matchu View Post
I would say it is almost definite that James will enter the challenger the following week in Marrakech, Morocco (effectively ruling himself out of Miami qualies). From there I would imagine he'll just travel around Europe (mostly France and Italy) playing clay challengers and perhaps the ocassional ATP qualifying in the lead up to Roland Garros qualifying. He only has 13 points to defend between now and the start of Roland Garros so there is lots of room for James to move up the ranking and perhaps clinch a seeding at Roland Garros qualifying.
agree, what you said looks more likely and makes sense more... he spent the whole last year playing on clay and made good results so he can take something out of it... he can save his money by starting to play in Europe the next week than by going to Miami with unclear future in the tournament there... so I really see playing on clay from March in Europe (not counting Africa) can provide him a good preparation and confidence and as you said he has only 13 points to defend till Rolang Garros so he can gain some points as well...
Rovegun is offline  
post #244 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:25 AM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

James should play Rabat next week and than Marrakech where he´s the 1st ALT...
Rovegun is offline  
post #245 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Registered User
 
Chris.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,392
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

He wouldnt have made the cut for Miami quallies anyway. But he is on the ALT list on Casalabnca so maybe he might try quallies there?
Chris. is offline  
post #246 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
country flag n8
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Canberra, Australia
Age: 31
Posts: 7,378
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
James should play Rabat next week and than Marrakech where he´s the 1st ALT...
Seems like a clever schedule: two Moroccan Challengers then a week off then a Moroccan ATP event. The ATP event, Casablanca, usually has a relatively weak draw.
n8 is offline  
post #247 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered User
 
Chris.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,392
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatRacket View Post
Seems like a clever schedule: two Moroccan Challengers then a week off then a Moroccan ATP event. The ATP event, Casablanca, usually has a relatively weak draw.
Yep. Donald young is seeded 2 so he should make the cut for quallies if he shoes to play.
Chris. is offline  
post #248 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

so we´ve got his schedule for March so hopefully James can get some wins and points in Morocco to help him to climb up the rankings... he played the whole season on clay last year and gained some experience how to play on this surface and won all the titles on clay so he could use it and get some good results not only in March but during the whole clay court season...
Rovegun is offline  
post #249 of 937 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

If that is James's schedule, the AIS is now thinking a lot smarter. Unlike when Klein and Jones were in the AIS, all they did was follow the older guys around (Smeets, Feeney, etc.) with no great thought behind their schedule. Ludicrous, they were the "guinea-pigs"(experiment). At least the AIS is learning (if they were the thinking behind James's schedule).
RustyOz is offline  
post #250 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
If that is James's schedule, the AIS is now thinking a lot smarter. Unlike when Klein and Jones were in the AIS, all they did was follow the older guys around (Smeets, Feeney, etc.) with no great thought behind their schedule. Ludicrous, they were the "guinea-pigs"(experiment). At least the AIS is learning (if they were the thinking behind James's schedule).
just a question, how long can a player stay or be a part of the AIS? I guess there is an age limit....
Rovegun is offline  
post #251 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
just a question, how long can a player stay or be a part of the AIS? I guess there is an age limit....
Ha... only the AIS know that secret mate.
Four years ago they had a range from 18 year-old (Klein/Jones) to over 28 year old (Luczak, Buccanello) and a group in their mid-twenties (Smeets, Ebelthite, Feeney). Then it was radically reduced to an arbitrary age, say under 23 (Klein/Ball/Jones, maybe Ebden? and others). Now it is 20 years-old or below I believe (Mitchell, Duckworth, Saville, Kubler - maybe others). Next year it will change, at the decision of Tennis Australia, to ???
See the Tennis Australia web-site for further info.
RustyOz is offline  
post #252 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
Ha... only the AIS know that secret mate.
Four years ago they had a range from 18 year-old (Klein/Jones) to over 28 year old (Luczak, Buccanello) and a group in their mid-twenties (Smeets, Ebelthite, Feeney). Then it was radically reduced to an arbitrary age, say under 23 (Klein/Ball/Jones, maybe Ebden? and others). Now it is 20 years-old or below I believe (Mitchell, Duckworth, Saville, Kubler - maybe others). Next year it will change, at the decision of Tennis Australia, to ???
See the Tennis Australia web-site for further info.
that´s interesting at least... I browsed on that website for a few times when I was looking for some information about James but read many players were included in that sport system like Rusty as well if I´m not wrong... I thought the AIS helps young athletes to get better in their sport until they are settled and able to make money on their own.... but I don´t know if the AIS works on the same basis like Bolletieri´s academy in Florida where many current players practice as well but I think they have their own order and rules and are not under the pressure and influence of the academy...
Rovegun is offline  
post #253 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
that´s interesting at least... I browsed on that website for a few times when I was looking for some information about James but read many players were included in that sport system like Rusty as well if I´m not wrong... I thought the AIS helps young athletes to get better in their sport until they are settled and able to make money on their own.... but I don´t know if the AIS works on the same basis like Bolletieri´s academy in Florida where many current players practice as well but I think they have their own order and rules and are not under the pressure and influence of the academy...
The AIS is a governement funded body, not an independent enterprise like Bolletieri's academy. Players have to meet a certan criteria and be selected to ve in the AIS. There are various levels, full scholarship, guest scholarship, etc. There are not a lot of player's at any one time at the AIS, so the emphasis is on training blocks, physical testing, phyiscal training and coaching. Their are AIS rules are regulations to be followed and the pressure to perform to keep your scholarship and meet the criteria.
The past few years, ex-AIS players, if they have maintained their ranking, are supported by Tennis Australia in the Davis Cup Development squad - players such as Ebden, Marinko, Jones.
RustyOz is offline  
post #254 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
 
Rovegun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 97
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyOz View Post
The AIS is a governement funded body, not an independent enterprise like Bolletieri's academy. Players have to meet a certan criteria and be selected to ve in the AIS. There are various levels, full scholarship, guest scholarship, etc. There are not a lot of player's at any one time at the AIS, so the emphasis is on training blocks, physical testing, phyiscal training and coaching. Their are AIS rules are regulations to be followed and the pressure to perform to keep your scholarship and meet the criteria.
The past few years, ex-AIS players, if they have maintained their ranking, are supported by Tennis Australia in the Davis Cup Development squad - players such as Ebden, Marinko, Jones.
oh, thank you very much for the explanation it makes me smarter... so you have to be the very best or one of the best to get there and be a part of this program if I understand that well... so not everyone who has a lot of money can get there you have to perform pretty well to become a member of the AIS... I have read on the Tennis Australia website that James has been given the scholarship for another year so does it mean he or his parents or sponsors don´t have to pay anything in the case of full scholarship?

I have discovered on the AIS website that there are not many tennis, rugby, soccer players etc. according to photos so I don´t know if all the players are shown so I am a bit interested in how they can make a team in team sports
Rovegun is offline  
post #255 of 937 (permalink) Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,894
                     
Re: James Duckworth Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovegun View Post
oh, thank you very much for the explanation it makes me smarter... I have read on the Tennis Australia website that James has been given the [AIS] scholarship for another year so does it mean he or his parents or sponsors don´t have to pay anything in the case of full scholarship?

I have discovered on the AIS website that there are not many tennis, rugby, soccer players etc. according to photos so I don´t know if all the players are shown so I am a bit interested in how they can make a team in team sports
The AIS scholarship will pay for coaches, travel expenses and acoomodation but the players generally have to pay back 50% of the winnings, up to some maximum per year (no minimum payment)

The AIS supports all Olympic Sports. I am not sure if they do have AIS teams but they provide the coaching for the elite athletes who form the Olympic teams in say Soccer, Hockey, Basketball, etc.

This is Duckworth's support site, so I suppose that should be enough on this subject on his page.
RustyOz is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome