Bernard Tomic has hit back at reports he was left out of Australia's Davis Cup team due to attitude issues. Tennis Australia director of tennis Craig Tiley was quoted on Thursday as saying Davis Cup captain Pat Rafter won't consider Tomic for the tie against Taiwan while questioning the 20-year-old's commitment to representing his country.
But Tomic later refuted the claims, insisting he told Rafter he was never available for the February clash and would instead be focusing on ATP events in the United States.
"I was never meant to play that Davis Cup tie," Tomic told the Ten Network.
"I spoke to Pat (about that).
"I'm going to use that time for training and to prepare for tournaments in America."
"I'm young and I'm learning. You get to a point where you need to stop and I think it's a good bit of advice," said Tomic.
"I'm working really hard and trying to push myself to become the best tennis player I can be.
"I've had a slippery slope the last year. It's changing me and I'll prove I'm going to be the best-ever player one day to play this game."
Tomic will get the chance to start proving the doubters wrong when he represents Australia at the Hopman Cup in Perth later this month.