Mens Tennis Forums banner

Week 43: Nottingham (champion: Alexander Waske, GER)

30K views 476 replies 60 participants last post by  Horatio Caine 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fact sheet attached.

Attachments

Reactions: Fee
#2 ·
Re: Week 43: Nottingham

A little premature admittedly, but since this is the next well attended Challenger in the UK, I thought it deserves some prior attention. It will be on the indoor hardcourts of the Nottingham Tennis Centre, where the Red Letter Days Open is held. I will try and be there for all or most of this event - but I insist on getting a hotel room this time, instead of travelling up and down like I did for the grass!!

This is the tournament's umpteenth venue - 2004 it was in Bolton, and 2005 saw it move to Southampton. I believe there will also be a challenger in Shrewsbury in November. I just emailed a friend at the LTA who will forward me the factsheet for Nottingham.

#4 ·

There is also a smaller challenger in Shrewsbury, England - scheduled for early November.

#6 ·

Count Zero said:
but i think the shrewsbury one will be worth the same points?
Yeah, you're right. I only said smaller on the assumption that the format would be the same as last year, and the year before. Instead, they are both 25ks, so we should get two good turnouts :D Only problem is the Notts one is the same week as St Petersburg ATP etc, whereas before it was the same week as Madrid Masters - this may mean a less strong entry list. Hope not!

#7 ·

Ah so Notts hosts a winter challenger event again! Last time was November 2003 I think...and I saw the soon-to-be GS SF Joachim Johansson!! :bigclap:
...and a certain grumpy Scot :D

I might try to have a nose around that week...but in all probability I'll be too busy.

Bit of a bummer that isn't during an AMS event...the entry list is probably going to be weak...if not, it will feature a lot of late withdrawals from players hoping to get into those 3 ATP events. :sad:

#9 ·

binkygirl said:
Is it free to attend Challengers in the UK?
It is at these Tara - Surbiton & Manchester (the summer/grasscourt ones charge some), but the indoor ones do not.

#13 ·

Entry List
1 Pless, Kristian DEN 109
2 Galvani, Stefano ITA 114
3 Economidis, Konstantinos GRE 122
4 Carlsen, Kenneth DEN 124
5 Waske, Alexander GER 126
6 Bogdanovic, Alex GBR 146
7 Lu, Yen-Hsun TPE 148
8 Cakl, Tomas CZE 161
9 Lorenzi, Paolo ITA 168
10 Mertl, Jan CZE 187
11 Vico, Uros ITA 196
12 Cipolla, Flavio ITA 200
13 Lacko, Lukas SVK 204
14 Carraz, Gregory FRA 207
15 Elseneer, Gilles BEL 220
16 Vagnozzi, Simone ITA 209
17 Lee, Martin GBR 221
18 Snobel, Pavel CZE 222
19 Bloomfield, Richard GBR 224
20 Tourte, Nicolas FRA 226
21 Stoppini, Andrea ITA 228
22 Robert, Stephane FRA 229
23 (SE)
24 (SE)
25 (WC)
26 (WC)
27 (WC)
28 (WC)
29 (Q)
30 (Q)
31 (Q)
32 (Q)

Alternates
1. Schukin, Yuri RUS 238
2. Galimberti, Giorgio ITA 243
3. Adaktusson, Jacob SWE 244
4. Prpic, Filip SWE 245
5. Ionita, Victor ROM 253
6. Goodall, Joshua GBR 254
7. Zitko, Radim CZE 255
8. Parmar, Arvind GBR 261
9. Santos-Gonzalez, Pablo ESP 267
10. Summerer, Tobias GER 268
11. Pequery, Jean-Michel FRA 270
12. Vacek, Jan CZE 277
13. Przysiezny, Michal POL 280
14. Rehnquist, Bjorn SWE 281
15. Masik, Jan CZE 292
16. Rojer, Jean-Julien AHO 293
17. Navratil, Michal CZE 295
18. Uebel, Lars GER 296
19. Chadaj, Adam POL 298
20. Chardy, Jeremy FRA 299

#16 ·

Not the strongest challenger, but should be easy enough for Boggo to do well in this, as there is no-one in there that he cant beat
It's not a bad field for a 25 + H, Boggo has 3 x 50 point wins to defend between now and end of Jan/ start of feb, and 12 points to defend this week (wk 43) from his Southampton QF last year, so he needs to do well here.

Pless, Carlsen and Waske will all take some beating, and Vico can beat almost anyone on his day. In this Challenger last year Vico beat Baghdatis in first round. :confused:

Pless reached final last year, beating a Brit in every round before losing to Haehnel in the final so he will have 35 to defend here, and as Number 1 seed will have high hopes for this week, so dont expect Boggo to just turn up and win, should be a good week, I will make it for at least 1 day.

Expect WC's to go to Baker, Goodall, Marray and Auckland, with Parmar missing out due to his lack of activity.

#29 ·

I am going on the Tuesday (probably the entire first round will be played on that day) if anyone is willing to update scores on the site I will text them to you if you are going to be at the computer during the day.

If anyone is bothered :shrug: , prefer UK if possible.

#32 ·

I am going on the Tuesday (probably the entire first round will be played on that day) if anyone is willing to update scores on the site I will text them to you if you are going to be at the computer during the day.

If anyone is bothered :shrug: , prefer UK if possible.
To save you extra texts, I'll do it here as well as on the GR site if you like - I should be at the computer most of the time play's actually on, but still got meetings at either end of the day so still can't actually get to Nottingham. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.