Mens Tennis Forums banner

Scheduling thread

3K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  M-Bag 
#1 · (Edited)
Rain washed out the evening session but tomorrow's scheduling is just pathetic at Cincinnati. RAFA-Ramos and Thug/Karlovic matches do not begin until 1 pm (Are you effing out of your mind?!?!?) and then the winners play their match at 9 pm on the same day. Why not start the previous day's matches which got washed out at the very beginning (11 am local time) instead? RAFA has already been a victim of improper scheduling many times this year and this is no different.

P.S. This is not a ruins thread. Its about general bias against certain ATP players who suffers and has to work extra hard if they want to win the title.

#2 ·
Rain washed out the evening session but tomorrow's scheduling is just pathetic at Cincinnati. RAFA-Ramos and Thug/Karlovic matches do not begin until 1 pm (Are you effing out of your mind?!?!?) and then the winners play their match at 9 pm on the same day. Why not start the previous day's matches which got washed out at the very beginning (11 am local time) instead? RAFA has already been a victim of improper scheduling many times this year and this is no different.

P.S. This is not a ruins thread. Its about general bias towards ATP players who suffers and has to work extra hard if they want to win the title.
If you look at the next-day schedule after a rained-out session, the rain-delayed matches are never the first match up. They're always the second match on the schedule. This is true for every single ATP and ITF tournament. Yes, it sucks to have to play two matches in one day, but since the vast majority of tennis matches are at the mercy of Mother Nature (in other words, no retractable roof), it's reality. I assume the logic is that the players get stuck waiting around until fairly late just in case the rain lets up, so it's hard to get back to the hotel, unwind, fall asleep, and then wake up early to play the first match of the day.

#8 ·
If you look at the next-day schedule after a rained-out session, the rain-delayed matches are never the first match up. They're always the second match on the schedule. This is true for every single ATP and ITF tournament.
This is what I am talking about. Doesn't make any sense whatsoever. What if it rains again today in the evening? Organizers are pretty biased towards the WTA.

#3 ·
Ka.Pliskova should be the one complaining, that's seriously a candidate for the worst scheduling in history, she plays her R3 which has just played 3 games at 1:00 P.M, then plays QF at 3:30 P.M. against an opponent who finished her R3 today. If I were her I'd definitely go for an explanation from the tournament director ASAP.

As for Nadal, as stated above rain delayed matches are always second, RAFA would probably be more irritated if he had to play at 11:00 tomorrow since he was waiting until 11:30 P.M. today and probably slept around 1 or 2 A.M. This is so that they can get enough sleep, and Kyrgios has to face the same scheduling, so it's totally fair. Second match at 9 P.M also means relatively suitable rest between matches.

#4 ·
Ka.Pliskova should be the one complaining, that's seriously a candidate for the worst scheduling in history, she plays her R3 which has just played 3 games at 1:00 P.M, then plays QF at 3:30 P.M. against an opponent who finished her R3 today. If I were her I'd definitely go for an explanation from the tournament director ASAP.
Wow, usually the doubles guys get shafted with scheduling like that because: 1) doubles players always get the short end of the scheduling stick, and 2) it's assumed that dubs isn't as exhausting, which is true. Singles players rarely get screwed like that, and I have never ever seen a number one player get crapped on with such sh*tty scheduling. Maybe Pliskova requested it? Nah, what player in her right mind would ask for matches to be scheduled almost back to back like that??

#6 ·
Both tours are dire atm, so i dont think so.

#7 ·

P.S. This is not a ruins thread. Its about general bias towards ATP players who suffers and has to work extra hard if they want to win the title.
lol, he is second cause he stayed late, you cant possibly schedule someone that stayed latest the previous day first.

#9 ·
He stayed late? :cuckoo:

They didn't even step into the stadium. There is logically ZERO reason to delay the previous day's match involving of the most popular player (if not the most) ever to start it after a WTA match.

Canada masters does it perfectly. They alternate ATP and WTA tourneys every year between Montreal/Toronto.

#14 ·
Is Kyrgios even fit to play? He barely moved against Goffin and I still have no idea how he scraped by Dolgopolov. Unless the Dog was injured himself or tanking blatantly. :confused:

#15 ·
I think the core problem is that Cincinnati is a 1 week tournament, where the top players don't start to play until the 3rd day. That's 5 matches in 5 days. Any slip/delay and you face a scheduling nightmare.
And however you try to fix it, some players would be crying foul.
And good luck if that happens to one of the top dogs who is not the quiet type.

#19 ·
You don't really need evidence(s) to see the obvious when it keeps on happening time and again. Didn't we all see at the AO already? Or at Wimbledon? :)

#27 · (Edited)
Literally saw this coming which prompted me to create this thread. 2 Bo3 matches within 8 hours at 31 years age? Atleast RAFA tried and kudos to him for keeping the cool the way these effing organizers are treating him in every tournament. Hopefully RAFA never plays Cincinnati ever again :no:

#29 ·
Literally saw this coming which prompted me to create this thread. 2 Bo3 matches within 8 hours at 31 years age? Atleast RAFA tried and kudos to him for keeping the cool the way these effing organizers are treating him in every tournament. Hopefully RAFA never plays Cincinnati ever again
Ok, so basically Rafa shouldn't be playing any outdoor event ever again, cause I guess you realize it could've happened everywhere right?

Could you suggest a better schedule given an entire season got cancelled?

#36 ·
He's already better since Nadal on Monday is #1 and Fed is only #3. Deal with and get over it.

As for career accomplishments, we'll see at the end of their careers and that won't be soon. Right now I don't think either player is thinking about retirement.

#35 · (Edited)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but both Kyrgios and Nadal had to play two matches on one day. Before they met each other, Nick played three sets, Rafa two. So what's the problem? And it's very logical players who have to deal with a rain delay aren't scheduled immediately on the next day. It's called professional tennis for a reason...

*looks at thread starter

Of course, it's the crazy Rafa 'fan'...

ATP had a nice title after the Kyrgios-Nadal match: "Two matches in one day? No problem for Kyrgios"

#37 ·
Also, aren't Nadal so used to play the full 5 sets matches in 4 or 5 hours every other day in the dozens slams that he has played?

Here, he played only 2 sets, and then he had a nice rest in the afternoon, while Nick was still battling Karlovic in the third set.

It is worrying that dulltards are increasingly shortselling their Idol Rafa.

Also interesting to note is the rapid increase of the use of the words or phrases along the line of "he is older now, 31 going 32, way past his peak and prime, need more rest".

These are mentioned or written by the same people who used to mock Federer fans who argued that Federer is indeed older, way past his peak and prime, despite him still playing tennis at a level that usually could only be matched by the #1 player who is 6 years younger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.