Mens Tennis Forums banner

Nishikori 2017

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SexySascha 
#1 ·
I think with Kei's injuries and lack of results people have given up posting here. And Kei went out in the 3rd Round at Wimbledon to R. Bautista Agut. He only won a set off of Bautista Agut.

#2 ·
Yes wow, this subforum is a dry wasteland. :eek:

Poor Kei, he has been mostly awful this year. During the clay season he looked distraught. He used to have this energy radiating from him but now he constantly looks like he hates being on the court, very mentally tired. If this continues I wouldn't be surprised to see him retire end of next season. :sad:

#3 · (Edited)
It has been that way for a long time now. Even myself, the best known Kei supporter on this forum can't keep this thing afloat :sobbing: I can think of maybe 5 other strong Kei supporters other than myself but they are not very active overall, except sometimes on General Messages.

He played awesome in 2016, that Rome match against Djokovic which he narrowly lost was one of the best clay performances I've seen from him (and just allround). Actually the entire Madrid-Rome performance was epic stuff, pure aggression and counterpunching on clay, had Djokovic fooled on a lot of rallies, but he had rough competition in Djokovic pre-decline who kept serving high. This year, he had that wrist injury in Miami which set him back. Missed Barcelona, one of his best clay tournaments and then Madrid pulled out of QF, Rome just didn't have it in him, made lots of errors in his loss to Del Potro. And then just uphill struggle after that during grass and his hardcourt matches. Really lack of clutchness and stability have been costly, that Monfils choke was terrible and the final nail in the coffin. Should not have gone that far.

I really cross my fingers this break will do him some good both physically and mentally. The annoying part is he'll need to start right from scratch with ranking plummeting to 20-25 I guess, maybe he might draw Berdych, Thiem and Nadal if draw gods are nice for once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.