betting-job - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered User
 
ryan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: England
Age: 33
Posts: 30,764
                     
Re: betting-job

Very true there Jay- if your doing it as a 'job' so to speak you cant let your heart rule your head with certain teams/players depending on the sport offcourse- i will never bet for or against my football team because i know i wont analyse it with my head but with my heart

Also 1 last thing people can over analyse match ups-h2h etc. very difficult to know when it will prove correct or complete bullshit- you could spend hours analyzing a team or player that will do you no good at all- depending on the case..


Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
Registered User
 
jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,505
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan23 View Post
Very true there Jay- if your doing it as a 'job' so to speak you cant let your heart rule your head with certain teams/players depending on the sport offcourse- i will never bet for or against my football team because i know i wont analyse it with my head but with my heart
To be honest, even when I was doing it professionally, I would still always back Argentina and Boca whether I really believed in it or not. Of course at sensible stakes though, but the emotive pull was always there. I would never back against Argentina or Boca though even if I thought we were vulnerable, for me that's like treason.

Eventually it came to bite me on the ass big time because at a time when I really did think Argentina was the right play to make, I completely over extended myself in a make or break type situation (as in life changing) and I received the kind of punishment that in truth I've never recovered from mentally. Some things are hard to forget.

Quote:
Also 1 last thing people can over analyse match ups-h2h etc. very difficult to know when it will prove correct or complete bullshit- you could spend hours analyzing a team or player that will do you no good at all- depending on the case.
Agreed. You should always do your homework, but they should involve basic factors and when getting really in-depth only if the stats/info at hand is entirely relevant.

There is certainly a case for paralysis by analysis, it's easy to talk yourself in or out of any pick as you can effectively break lots of information down anyway you really want to.

It's best to just take your gut instinct, what you see and what you know, and evidence it with tangible material that supports that case and you've got enough justification to do what you do.
jayjay is offline  
post #18 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:26 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,238
                     
Re: betting-job

At one point I thought I could do this for a living. In three months in summer, starting from 10 Euro, I made enough to go on a trip abroad, buy a laptop, buy some sexy clothes and have a living for a whole semester without having to work and yet Mahut managed to steal remainings of it in February next year.

In that time I used to bet every day on many matches, did a lot of livebetting and followed all the tennis and volleyball events.

Needless to say about how my private life suffered of it. I could talk only about money and bets and I went fine enough without sex, as greening on both players on livebet was more demanding, exciting and tiring.

I still do sometimes parlays for very small stakes at local bookie, when I lose, who cares, and when I win, it's for a hairdresser But it's only when I'm *very* bored at work.

Work is not bad, at least I feel I have life in my hands, and not starting USA hardcourt season at 7 p.m. and finishing at 7 a.m. and not knowing where that time disappeared.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #19 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:30 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,238
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
To be honest, even when I was doing it professionally, I would still always back Argentina and Boca whether I really believed in it or not. Of course at sensible stakes though, but the emotive pull was always there. I would never back against Argentina or Boca though even if I thought we were vulnerable, for me that's like treason.
I hear you. Serbia over Poland in volleyball at 1.6 was like a gift from Santa. I don't know what were odds on 3-0 but I would bet my boobs on it blindly and I posted about it on MTF yesterday that today we're going to have a trashing.

But what kind of cheering is that if you play against your country? Brazil will play Serbia in the final IMO and then Serbia will be lucky to win a set, oh well, just shows where our volley is at this point of Olympics preparations .

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #20 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Registered User
 
jayjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 8,505
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
I hear you. Serbia over Poland in volleyball at 1.6 was like a gift from Santa. I don't know what were odds on 3-0 but I would bet my boobs on it blindly and I posted about it on MTF yesterday that today we're going to have a trashing.

But what kind of cheering is that if you play against your country? Brazil will play Serbia in the final IMO and then Serbia will be lucky to win a set, oh well, just shows where our volley is at this point of Olympics preparations .
Nathii, speaking of Volleyball Olympics, I want to have a couple of interest bets on the men's and women's - what is your breakdown of the men's and women's events? Who are your picks and where will your money be going?
jayjay is offline  
post #21 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 01:11 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,238
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
Nathii, speaking of Volleyball Olympics, I want to have a couple of interest bets on the men's and women's - what is your breakdown of the men's and women's events? Who are your picks and where will your money be going?
My money will be staying in my wallet

In male competition Brazil is a class above the rest, but odds will be according to it. In womens tournament China must make a final. I've heard Italians are favourites, I don't like their team and consider them pushers but unfortunately they are often winning big matches, just like Italian football team. However, they bought some Cuban players lately and especially one is a killer, and it makes me hold on with my opinion on Italy. Now a funny thing, Brazil womens' volley team has never grabbed an Olympic gold And they have a very good team, for sure ones of the favourites. Russia might be poorer than usual as they lost a friendly match to Poland in Moscow.

However, it's safer to speak up before direct matches, as teams sometimes calculate against which team they prefer to play in QF stage. So far, if Polish men's team played like they do now, they'd be trashed by Brazil, Serbia and Russia. I think they have China or Egypt in the group, but they should beat them (even China I suppose) and the match against Germany should decide which team advances. I think we should beat Germany, in volleyball at least . The second group is much weaker, Italy also has pushers in the men's team with kilo gel on the hair, but no Cubans, USA very average, Lloy Ball claimed to be the 2nd best playmaker makes silly technical mistakes... Bulgaria, no shape at all, lost at home to Finland... I forgot who else is in that group, but must be something laughable like Japan.

sorry for an off-topic in this thread

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #22 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Registered User
 
ryan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: England
Age: 33
Posts: 30,764
                     
Re: betting-job

Interesting stuff Nat- it just goes to show you can win lots of money but your social life.private life will always and should always be number 1 ahead of money


Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline  
post #23 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 02:18 AM
Registered User
 
ryan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: England
Age: 33
Posts: 30,764
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay View Post
To be honest, even when I was doing it professionally, I would still always back Argentina and Boca whether I really believed in it or not. Of course at sensible stakes though, but the emotive pull was always there. I would never back against Argentina or Boca though even if I thought we were vulnerable, for me that's like treason.

Eventually it came to bite me on the ass big time because at a time when I really did think Argentina was the right play to make, I completely over extended myself in a make or break type situation (as in life changing) and I received the kind of punishment that in truth I've never recovered from mentally. Some things are hard to forget.



Agreed. You should always do your homework, but they should involve basic factors and when getting really in-depth only if the stats/info at hand is entirely relevant.

There is certainly a case for paralysis by analysis, it's easy to talk yourself in or out of any pick as you can effectively break lots of information down anyway you really want to.

It's best to just take your gut instinct, what you see and what you know, and evidence it with tangible material that supports that case and you've got enough justification to do what you do.

Once again you say it perfectly i'm with you...


Big Star/Alex Chilton R.I.P

The Stone Roses

Guns N' Roses
ryan23 is offline  
post #24 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:22 AM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,238
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan23 View Post
Interesting stuff Nat- it just goes to show you can win lots of money but your social life.private life will always and should always be number 1 ahead of money
Having rich boyfriends is just about having nice private life and a lot of money Gambling starts to be unnecessary However Serbia over Russia at 2.38 looks tempting (could be a TB in this match), and even Brazil over USA at 1.12 is a 100% thing for a parlay as Brazil will trash them 3-0 I think.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #25 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokot View Post
back to value,how many of you are betting without odds?i mean,look at the matchup on oop,and choose the player,then look at the odds?i do it maximum 20% of the time but mostly,i check the odds.
Guessing winners is a fortune-teller´s job, a punter´s job is to find the wrong odds in offer.

Hope this helps
Deivid23 is offline  
post #26 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jig-Jag View Post
The more money you have makes things alot easier. Not to say that you throw it around and place large bets because you have 200k.
Wrong, probably the most difficult thing to do after building a big bankroll is to keep up with a proper money management and not lose the sense of what money means
Deivid23 is offline  
post #27 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Keeping the City clean
Posts: 5,404
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deivid23 View Post
Wrong, probably the most difficult thing to do after building a big bankroll is to keep up with a proper money management and not lose the sense of what money means
Pretty much what i said. Because you have a large built up bankroll, doesn't mean you should put bigger amounts here and there and get greedy.
Gamblore is offline  
post #28 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered User
 
Midnight Express's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 4,416
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
Having rich boyfriends is just about having nice private life and a lot of money Gambling starts to be unnecessary However Serbia over Russia at 2.38 looks tempting (could be a TB in this match), and even Brazil over USA at 1.12 is a 100% thing for a parlay as Brazil will trash them 3-0 I think.


Its like going to MVF (mensvolleyballforum.com) and saying Federer over Simon 100%..
Midnight Express is offline  
post #29 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered User
 
Nathaliia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 96,238
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post


Its like going to MVF (mensvolleyballforum.com) and saying Federer over Simon 100%..
If you had put an identical unit on Serbia you would have been in profit. Not my fault you are greedy only for 1.12 type of odds, I never play them, and it is for a reason. USA beating Brazil in Rio de Janeiro today was like Robby Ginepri beating Nadal on clay. Things like this happen rarely enough to excuse the odds, but they *can* happen. We may joke about taking odds from 1.01 to 1.25 but I doubt any serious people ever do it as it's the easiest way to getting bankrupt, just like overstaking.

I will burn
And you will die...


my old Polish blog www.tenislove.pl
Nathaliia is offline  
post #30 of 73 (permalink) Old 07-27-2008, 12:31 AM
Registered User
 
Deivid23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Age: 38
Posts: 13,295
                     
Re: betting-job

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathaliia View Post
USA beating Brazil in Rio de Janeiro today was like Robby Ginepri beating Nadal on clay.
That´s a bit too much, Nathii
Deivid23 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome