MensTennisForums.com - View Single Post - 2017 Cheering Thread
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 06:27 PM
country flag Brit Tennis Fan

Re: 2017 Cheering Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjtennis View Post
@Brit Tennis Fan Happy to hear he's going to minimize doubles this year. Let's see, I mean we are just starting the season so it may not affect him for AO specifically. I am just hoping for no burnout this year. The last parts of last year was rough.
For three years in a row he has tailed off towards the end of year but to some degree I think that is simply to be expected. His game is built for clay and slower hard courts so the faster hard courts and/or indoor hard courts towards the end of the year are never likely to see him at his best. That being the case I don't see too much logic in playing less on his better surfaces in order to be fresh for Shanghai and Paris in the autumn. As long as he can make it to the US Open in decent shape I am not really bothered what happens after that.

It is certainly clear that a couple of bouts of illness and a few minor injuries did cause him problems from Wimbledon onward but it is hard to know how much his schedule contributed to that. Quite clearly he either doesn't think it was a major factor or that he is better equipped to handle such a heavy schedule this year.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome