Mens Tennis Forums banner

Wimbledon R2: Dimitrov d. Simon 6-3 7-6(1) 3-6 6-4

4K views 47 replies 35 participants last post by  ali 
#1 · (Edited)
Saw the last two sets. Dimitrov seemed to lose the plot after going up two sets, falling into trying to blow Simon off the court, which never works. Then he tightened things up, went back to a more patient game plan, and came back from a break down in the 4th to win. Hopefully Grigor will start turning his season around; the losing streak ended with his first round here.

Reactions: Rod_Laver Slam
#5 ·
I broached the possibility after his first round match but now I'll say it again.Don't be at all surprised if Dimitrov beats Fed in the Round of 16 should they meet.He's basically hit his 'rock bottom' and can only go up.He took Fed to 4 sets at the Australian Open and Fed is rusty and ginger moreso than then.. (Mind you Dimitrov was playing better back then too) ... Fed will have been given a cushy diet of Pella,Willis,Evans to cream puff his way into the 4th Round and not be properly tested whilst Dimitrov would've faced a higher calibre of opponents priming him for the match.

This could be the turning point in his career.

#7 ·
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either. Fed usually glides through the early rounds, but he has been awfully shaky this year, and I think Dimitrov really doesn't have any pressure on him at this point.

#10 ·
From what I saw, this is more Simon playing with the same recent extremely poor form that saw him lose to Kyle Edmund, and get bageled by Del Potro. Not so sure that Dimitrov is back yet, but wins like this will certainly help his confidence, which seems to be the biggest challenge he's been facing for the last few months.

#12 ·
I'm still wondering what's happened with Dimitrov's serve. The days he used to serve 30-40 aces over a BO5 are long gone . Simon was easily blocking his 1st serve most of the times.

Good win for Grigor anyway, he's probably going out in the next round though. Wasted too much energy and Johnson is serving amazing. I think Johnson may beat both Dimitrov and Federer.

#16 ·
Great win for Dimitrov.
I thought he would've fallen to the #SimonTrap when he lost that 3rd Set and got to a break down, but then broke in a tight game and broke to win the match. From what I see he defended well and mixed up things more and aggressive (and at times he didn't he was punished). Would be interesting to see his match against Johnson as the latter is very in-form in grass this season.

#20 ·
Henman's commentary was on point today, Grigor can produce entertaining and good-quality tennis at times, but sometimes he looks like he doesn't know what to do (which leads to trying to hit backhand winners that end miles behind the baseline). Today the good side of Grigor showed up, so congrats to him and his fans.

#23 ·
From what I saw, Dimitrov was solid from the baseline and at best, mixing things up pretty well. However, he's just too passive at the baseline, got into way too many long rallies. He rarely attacks with his FH, so Johnson will be tough for him. Good win for his confidence, Simon wasn't really bad like he was in those deciding sets against Delpo and Edmund.

Reactions: Rod_Laver Slam
#28 ·
Good win for Grigor but he is not back until he gets his serve back.
It seems he is with his old 95S racket, they did not even bother repainting it to 97S. So maybe he has chance to get back in the top 30.
No coach now. No tennis buddy either.
:confused:

Not sure what do you mean? He's playing with Pro Staff 95S? Cause this racquet has the same painting of the 97S. But he never played with this racket, it's Dolgopolov's one.

Dimitrov used to play with the Six One 95S, this one:

#36 ·
Im a fan of Grigor not because hes a great tennis player, potentially he is, I like him because he is super hot, a realy handsome man. Hope him success as a tennis player though. Good looks + Tennis success = a win for Tennis overall. He is so marketable. So happy for this commanding win.

#37 ·
Wow what an excellent win! He must have really been restrained and playing the right control and tactics to beat Simon.

Very encouraging stuff.

Reactions: monfed
#39 ·
This era is getting weaker and weaker. First an amateur plays Federer on the center court, now Dimug wins 2 matches in a row...

Rafa save tennis in America please... In London and RIO? Stan maybe :(

#42 ·
Good win for his confidence but I think this is the end of the road unless he improves in the next round. Johnson looking great this grass season.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.