Mens Tennis Forums banner

ATP Challenger Tour "Player Spotlight" curse

36K views 154 replies 44 participants last post by  dinkulpus 
#1 ·
Did anybody else notice that the so called "Player Spotlight" on the ATP Challenger Tour page seems to be cursed?

I have no stats about this, but almost everytime the player that's presented there (usually one of the top seeds in a current challenger tournament) gets an early 1st or 2nd round exit. Recent examples: This week Marinko Matosevic 1st round loss in Burnie, last week Andrey Golubev 1st round loss in Heilbronn.

Maybe being in the spotlight just puts too much pressure on these players :p

Btw I don't know if this thread belongs here or in the General Messages board, if it's the latter there's probably an admin who can move it there please.

#9 ·
Not quite the same, but Tursunov is the "headliner" on the Challenger page, and he just lost R1 in Dubai...

#23 ·
Nemo made it all the way to the SFs in Guadeloupe. I don't think Delic was playing last week.

This week, Mahut is in the spotlight. So far so good, winning R1 in Bath.

Rochus is above Mahut.

#25 ·
Bam! The curse hits again!
Barletta top seed Fabio Fognini receives a first round exit against Andreas Haider-Maurer (who won Caltanissetta last week, so he's in good form but could also have been tired)
Above him Olivier Rochus will probably lose to Federer in a few hours, but he doesn't need a curse for that ;)

#29 ·
lol...guess who was the spotlight this week...Fabio Fognini...World No. 53 Fabio Fognini is the top seed and home favourite at this week’s XV Barletta Trofeo Dimiccoli & Borraccino. The 23 year old was a semi-finalist on the ATP World Tour in Santiago in February and is bidding for his first ATP Challenger Tour title since October.

#30 ·
This week, we have Tursunov, who doesn't play, and Muster, who plays at Monza. About Muster, we can talk about a curse if he wins:haha:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.