Anyone going? - Page 2 - MensTennisForums.com
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess
I wish I had the option to drive, but since I live on the West coast, it would be a two day trip. Oh well.

There are very few hotels near the tennis center, and most of them are fairly expensive. The cheapest of them is usually the Kings Island Resort (http://www.kingsislandresort.com/), which has the advantage of a shuttle to and from the grounds and TWO pools. Otherwise, you'll have no choice but to drive.

There is another grouping of hotels about 10 minutes away (on 71), but they are even more expensive, since that's where the players stay.

We usually stay about 20 minutes away, to the South, but it's really not that bad, just a straight shot up the expressway. Our hotel is near lots of restaurants, and we spend about half as much.

Need any other tips?

Hey! Appreciate the information.

Well, the more I think about it I might just fly. Driving would be easily $50 in gas alone each way, stopping to eat, wear and tear on the car, crap like that. A plane flight will probably be around $300-$350, but worse shit has happened. This is probably going to be my only chance to go to a tournament this year (considering this is the week before school starts), so I might as well just fly and see a few rounds up there.

Regarding hotels, I guess a 20ish minute drive up to Mason wouldn't be too bad. I checked the places right by Mason and they seemed a bit high for what it's worth.
jole is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Oh yea.

A question regarding tickets.

In all likelihood the only tickets I'll reserve are the day session tickets (the 11am ones). Only if there are matches I want to see will I bother to stick around for the night session (the 7:30pm ones). From what you know, if I don't have reserved tickets for the night session, and I decide on the spur of the moment I want to go at night, is it pretty easy to get tickets there at the box office? I mean, I can't imagine I won't be able to get a ticket for the night session there, but I always prefer going to tournaments with all my tickets beforehand.

Thanks so much!
jole is offline  
post #18 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered User
 
Eclectic Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 743
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrbatyfan
Oh yea.

A question regarding tickets.

In all likelihood the only tickets I'll reserve are the day session tickets (the 11am ones). Only if there are matches I want to see will I bother to stick around for the night session (the 7:30pm ones). From what you know, if I don't have reserved tickets for the night session, and I decide on the spur of the moment I want to go at night, is it pretty easy to get tickets there at the box office? I mean, I can't imagine I won't be able to get a ticket for the night session there, but I always prefer going to tournaments with all my tickets beforehand.

Thanks so much!
I don't know how easy it is to buy tickets at the box office the day of, because I've always gotten my tickets in advance. However, the crowds never seem that big in the center court at night, so you shouldn't have any problems.

On the other hand, if you just want to stay and watch matches on the outside courts, you don't need a night session ticket. Just don't leave the grounds after the day session expires. For the first couple days, there will be matches pretty much straight through.

"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection." ~ Abraham Lincoln
Eclectic Goddess is offline  
post #19 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:17 PM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclectic Goddess
I don't know how easy it is to buy tickets at the box office the day of, because I've always gotten my tickets in advance. However, the crowds never seem that big in the center court at night, so you shouldn't have any problems.

On the other hand, if you just want to stay and watch matches on the outside courts, you don't need a night session ticket. Just don't leave the grounds after the day session expires. For the first couple days, there will be matches pretty much straight through.
Yea, that sounds good. I mean I'm pretty sure I'll totally stick to the outer courts unless like, Dominik is playing in center court. Kinda like how he played Federer first round last year.
jole is offline  
post #20 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
LaTenista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Age: 36
Posts: 17,662
                     
Re: Anyone going?

I live less than 5 miles from the tournament and this week I've been at the WTA Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open. They are being extremely lax about tickets. So far I have not once had to show my ticket to enter Center Court, and I've sat in the boxes on Grandstand and Center - I don't have box seats - but the ushers are encouraging people to sit close if people aren't using their seats.

#1 tip: bring a water bottle and refill it at the various water fountains on site. $3 for a bottle of Aquafina is ridiculous!

#2 tip: bring a umbrella and a towel to dry your seat after the rain delay.

#3 tip: wear old shoes because the "parking" is really a field and after about the 5th rain delay turns into a scene straight out of Woodstock.

Didn't Atlanta used to have a tourney? What happened?

See you there I hope

Titles: 2005 - PAW Washington 2006 - PTS Marseille, TT Miami Doubles(w/coreyschucky), TT Tokyo Singles 2007 - TT Hamburg Doubles(w/SarettaFan) 2008 - TT Indianapolis Singles Finalist: 2005 - PAW Montreal & Bucharest 2006 - TT Acapulco Singles & Doubles(w/Iza), TT Houston Doubles(w/robrulz5), PTS Monte Carlo, TT Barcelona Doubles(w/Peta Pan), TT Newport Doubles(w/adee-gee), PAW Umag 2007 - TT Queen's Singles & Doubles(w/SarettaFan), TT Champaign Doubles(w/TommyB.) 2008 - TT Auckland Doubles(w/invu2day), TT Recanati Singles, TT Newport Doubles(w/sploush), TT Indianapolis Doubles(w/sploush)
Nadal Moyá Ferrer Verdasco Puerta Cañas Andreev Safin
Roddick Blake Salzenstein Delic DeHeart
Montcourt Gasquet Mathieu Serra Simon Santoro
LaTenista is offline  
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
Eclectic Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 743
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenista
I live less than 5 miles from the tournament and this week I've been at the WTA Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open. They are being extremely lax about tickets. So far I have not once had to show my ticket to enter Center Court, and I've sat in the boxes on Grandstand and Center - I don't have box seats - but the ushers are encouraging people to sit close if people aren't using their seats.

#1 tip: bring a water bottle and refill it at the various water fountains on site. $3 for a bottle of Aquafina is ridiculous!

#2 tip: bring a umbrella and a towel to dry your seat after the rain delay.

#3 tip: wear old shoes because the "parking" is really a field and after about the 5th rain delay turns into a scene straight out of Woodstock.

Didn't Atlanta used to have a tourney? What happened?

See you there I hope
All really great tips! We ALWAYS carry a little towel around, because even if it doesn't rain, you can still sit on it. (Because sometimes plunking your bare thighs down on a burning metal or ragged wooden bench is not so much fun.)

It's funny, some years the ushers seem really lax about people sitting where ever they want, and some years they'll chase you down and make sure that you're not sitting even one seat off from where you should be. We actually got to watch the Moya/Hewitt final from the front row a few years ago, and no one said two words to us.

"We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection." ~ Abraham Lincoln
Eclectic Goddess is offline  
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 PM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenista
I live less than 5 miles from the tournament and this week I've been at the WTA Western & Southern Financial Group Women's Open. They are being extremely lax about tickets. So far I have not once had to show my ticket to enter Center Court, and I've sat in the boxes on Grandstand and Center - I don't have box seats - but the ushers are encouraging people to sit close if people aren't using their seats.

#1 tip: bring a water bottle and refill it at the various water fountains on site. $3 for a bottle of Aquafina is ridiculous!

#2 tip: bring a umbrella and a towel to dry your seat after the rain delay.

#3 tip: wear old shoes because the "parking" is really a field and after about the 5th rain delay turns into a scene straight out of Woodstock.

Didn't Atlanta used to have a tourney? What happened?

See you there I hope
Thanks for the tips.

Yes, Atlanta had a nice little clay tournament through 2001. Sadly, there were sponsorship issues and we haven't gotten a new one yet. There was an attempt to get the tournament the week prior to the U.S. Open in Atlanta (old Hamlet Cup on Long Island), but New Haven got it. Overall it is very frustrating to not have a tournament considering Atlanta is one of the biggest tennis markets in the world, and has the most players of any city.
jole is offline  
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Registered User
 
ktwtennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USofA
Age: 29
Posts: 584
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Hey, I'll be going on Tuesday!! ANyone want to meet up?

MONICA

Jesus answered and said to him[Nicodemus, a Pharisee],"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again[of the Spirit/above], he cannot see the kingdom of God."--John 3:3

TRANSLATION---Good works CANNOT save you from hell! Turn your live to Jesus. He wants to develop a relationship with you today!

I will worship Jesus forever!

Go Monica and Guga!!
ktwtennis is offline  
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 AM
Registered User
 
Regenbogen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,261
                     
Re: Anyone going?

i'm going....monday and tuesday

I support a lot of mugs.
Regenbogen is offline  
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 03:44 AM
Registered User
 
LaTenista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Age: 36
Posts: 17,662
                     
Re: Anyone going?

I've re-read this entire thread (not rhyming on purpose ) and it seems everyone will be there on the Tuesday. Do we all want to meet up at say 10:30 am at the site (play will start at 11 am that day)? At the entrance to the musuem, as it's right inside the main gate? Thoughts anyone?

As I'm superclose to the tourney, anyone who needs help and advice feel free to PM me.

BTW Those flying in, the Dayton airport is about the same distance away as the Cincinnati one (about an hour driving).

Titles: 2005 - PAW Washington 2006 - PTS Marseille, TT Miami Doubles(w/coreyschucky), TT Tokyo Singles 2007 - TT Hamburg Doubles(w/SarettaFan) 2008 - TT Indianapolis Singles Finalist: 2005 - PAW Montreal & Bucharest 2006 - TT Acapulco Singles & Doubles(w/Iza), TT Houston Doubles(w/robrulz5), PTS Monte Carlo, TT Barcelona Doubles(w/Peta Pan), TT Newport Doubles(w/adee-gee), PAW Umag 2007 - TT Queen's Singles & Doubles(w/SarettaFan), TT Champaign Doubles(w/TommyB.) 2008 - TT Auckland Doubles(w/invu2day), TT Recanati Singles, TT Newport Doubles(w/sploush), TT Indianapolis Doubles(w/sploush)
Nadal Moyá Ferrer Verdasco Puerta Cañas Andreev Safin
Roddick Blake Salzenstein Delic DeHeart
Montcourt Gasquet Mathieu Serra Simon Santoro
LaTenista is offline  
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered User
 
ktwtennis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: USofA
Age: 29
Posts: 584
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenista
I've re-read this entire thread (not rhyming on purpose ) and it seems everyone will be there on the Tuesday. Do we all want to meet up at say 10:30 am at the site (play will start at 11 am that day)? At the entrance to the musuem, as it's right inside the main gate? Thoughts anyone?

As I'm superclose to the tourney, anyone who needs help and advice feel free to PM me.

BTW Those flying in, the Dayton airport is about the same distance away as the Cincinnati one (about an hour driving).
Sounds like a good idea...I'm going w/my family, so I hope I can get away to meet ya all. btw, I'm eighteen and a male w/brown hair. Perhaps I'll post a pic later so you can recognize me! Could you guys do that also?

MONICA

Jesus answered and said to him[Nicodemus, a Pharisee],"Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again[of the Spirit/above], he cannot see the kingdom of God."--John 3:3

TRANSLATION---Good works CANNOT save you from hell! Turn your live to Jesus. He wants to develop a relationship with you today!

I will worship Jesus forever!

Go Monica and Guga!!
ktwtennis is offline  
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 01:38 AM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Hey again!

Ok like, the Dayton Airport advice was fabulous. It is going to cost me slightly over half what flying into Cincinatti would cost me. I can live with that.

Regarding lodging, I might be staying with some relatives, however I don't really know them as they are pretty distant. Also, I've yet to find out where exactly they live, other than it's "somewhat near Cincinatti, yet rural" so no clue exactly. Could be not too far from Mason or it could be really far out, but meh will play it by ear I guess.
jole is offline  
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 AM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Marriot Hotel in Mason county is where the players stay

El Legenda is offline  
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:16 AM
Not a Registered User
 
El Legenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: US of A
Posts: 30,181
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenista

BTW Those flying in, the Dayton airport is about the same distance away as the Cincinnati one (about an hour driving).
yeah..Cincinnati airport is not even in the same state as Cincy

El Legenda is offline  
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:35 AM
Registered User
 
jole's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 10,759
                     
Re: Anyone going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDucky
Marriot Hotel in Mason county is where the players stay
Is currently sold out now!
jole is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome