Tommy news - Page 17 - MensTennisForums.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #241 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugburz8 View Post
Tommy gained 15 points from 35 he won..Does anybody knows why ?
At the moment there are 10 Masters Series Results in the ranking, as all points count for exactly one year and last year the Masters Series Canada Event was later. To make the number of counted tournaments 18, at the moment only 4 non-mandatory tournaments are in the ranking, so Tommy's 20 points from Halle don't count now.
So next week his 25 points from Memphis will disappear and be replaced by this weeks' result. Actually it doesn't really matter, as in two weeks everything will be "normal" again, with 4 + 9 + 5 tournaments, so it's sufficient if we remember Tommy has to defend 80 points from Toronto and Cincinatti, 35 of whom he has already defended.

edit: ah, too late
timoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #242 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Registered User
 
thefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,123
                     
Re: Tommy news

But I think his Memphis result will only be replaced by this week if he'll reach the 2nd round or better ... and thinking about it, this week would acutally replace Halle again, because Tommy will lose his Washington points, so this one will be removed from the list.
thefly is offline  
post #243 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
But I think his Memphis result will only be replaced by this week if he'll reach the 2nd round or better ... and thinking about it, this week would acutally replace Halle again, because Tommy will lose his Washington points, so this one will be removed from the list.
As Cincy is a Masters tournament it will count even if he loses in the first round. Players who lost in the first round in Toronto also had to count it as a tenth Masters tournament, even if they had better results in the other section.

With the other point you are definitely right, I didn't see that.
timoe is offline  
post #244 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:01 PM
Registered User
 
thefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,123
                     
Re: Tommy news

But that would mean that he actually loses points if he'll not reach the 2nd round, because they replace a normal tournament with a Masters result with LESS points?!

On the other hand, when Cincy and Toronto form last year are finally gone, all of that won't matter anymore ...

Well ...
thefly is offline  
post #245 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 05:03 PM
Registered User
 
Lugburz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: near the quasars
Age: 27
Posts: 7,166
                     
Re: Tommy news

Thanks guys,I kinda understand it now,Actually it is all mixed up because of Olympics,so that we now have 10 masters instead of 9(2xToronto)...So he gained 15 because Halle had to be removed...
P.S.In two weeks all will be back to normal as timoe said,how's that ?

TOMMY HAAS

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT


Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline  
post #246 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
But that would mean that he actually loses points if he'll not reach the 2nd round, because they replace a normal tournament with a Masters result with LESS points?!

On the other hand, when Cincy and Toronto form last year are finally gone, all of that won't matter anymore ...

Well ...
Yep, look at Stepanek for example whose 21 points from Wroclaw have been replaced by 5 from Toronto. But, yes, as I said before, that's just temporary so it shouldn't bother us too much. Anyway, just get as many points as possible, Tommy.

@Lugburz: That's because last year's results from Toronto and Cincy are out then, so these tournaments don't count "twice" anymore.
timoe is offline  
post #247 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Registered User
 
Wyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 371
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
But that would mean that he actually loses points if he'll not reach the 2nd round, because they replace a normal tournament with a Masters result with LESS points?!
So he better makes it into the 2nd round

I have a general question (which shows that I am totally not an expert when it comes to the ranking system...):
When a player isn't playing a Masters does this mean 0 points for the ranking which can't be replaced by a better result?
It's like this with the GS but also with all Masters?

Tommy Haas | Marat Safin | Rafael Nadal | Igor Andreev

Monfils | Murray | Davydenko | del Potro
Wyna is offline  
post #248 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered User
 
thefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,123
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyna View Post
So he better makes it into the 2nd round

I have a general question (which shows that I am totally not an expert when it comes to the ranking system...):
When a player isn't playing a Masters does this mean 0 points for the ranking which can't be replaced by a better result?
It's like this with the GS but also with all Masters?
No. Usually this replacement of a normal tournament in the "best 5 other" list doesn't happen because the Masters events just replace "themselves"; this year however, everything is a little messed up due to the Olympics, resulting in a schedule that has these ongoing Masters events not happening during the same weeks as last year.
thefly is offline  
post #249 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 258
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
No. Usually this replacement of a normal tournament in the "best 5 other" list doesn't happen because the Masters events just replace "themselves"; this year however, everything is a little messed up due to the Olympics, resulting in a schedule that has these ongoing Masters events not happening during the same weeks as last year.
Right, but if you get 0 points for not playing in a Masters tournament for which you were qualified it still counts. The 4 Grandslam and 9 TMS events cannot be replaced, unless a player's ranking was too bad at that time, then he can add another tournament from the non-mandatories. I think that's what Wyna wanted to know? Or at least I understood the question like that.
timoe is offline  
post #250 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered User
 
Wyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 371
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoe View Post
Right, but if you get 0 points for not playing in a Masters tournament for which you were qualified it still counts. The 4 Grandslam and 9 TMS events cannot be replaced, unless a player's ranking was too bad at that time, then he can add another tournament from the non-mandatories. I think that's what Wyna wanted to know? Or at least I understood the question like that.
Yes, you understood me correctly. Thanks, I think I know now the basics

Tommy Haas | Marat Safin | Rafael Nadal | Igor Andreev

Monfils | Murray | Davydenko | del Potro

Last edited by Wyna; 07-28-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Wyna is offline  
post #251 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:10 PM
Registered User
 
thefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,123
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by timoe View Post
I think that's what Wyna wanted to know? Or at least I understood the question like that.
Oh yeah, you may be right. So to sum that up: a Masters result always counts and is only replaced by the result at the same events the following year. Same with GS.
thefly is offline  
post #252 of 1081 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 07:15 PM
Registered User
 
Lugburz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: near the quasars
Age: 27
Posts: 7,166
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefly View Post
Oh yeah, you may be right. So to sum that up: a Masters result always counts and is only replaced by the result at the same events the following year. Same with GS.
So,Toronto last year will be removed exactly after 52 weeks...That should be on 11 August...

TOMMY HAAS

Philipp Kohlschreiber - Stanislas Wawrinka - TB - NM - GD - EG - IS - DL - RF - DT - JWT


Quote:
Originally Posted by leng jai View Post
Everytime Haas wins a point is the happiest moment in my life.
Lugburz is offline  
post #253 of 1081 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM
Registered User
 
TommyB.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,788
                     
Re: Tommy news

Tommy's next tournament is Stockholm (Oct. 6-12). He won't go to Asia after the US summer, I think it's an equitable decision. He can save some energy for the indoor season.
TommyB. is offline  
post #254 of 1081 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Registered User
 
Jelena's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Age: 43
Posts: 85,785
                     
Re: Tommy news

And give his shoulder a well deserved and probably needed rest after those many weeks of constant work.

Vamos Nando! Come on Andy! A portuguese Vamos to André Sá e Marcelo Melo! Vamos Gastão!Auf geht's Dustin! Vamos ChristianLindell!Vamos David! Pojd Tomáš! Davai Dolgo!

Bolo Zenden, Bobo Gille, Zlatan
Jelena is offline  
post #255 of 1081 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 AM
Registered User
 
thefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,123
                     
Re: Tommy news

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB. View Post
Tommy's next tournament is Stockholm (Oct. 6-12). He won't go to Asia after the US summer, I think it's an equitable decision. He can save some energy for the indoor season.
Yeah, it was obvious that he won't go to asia, and he can use the break. But where did you get the Stockholm information? Can't find anything that suggests his participation, although that would also be my best guess ...

If he'd play Vienna we would know by now. I wonder why he doesn't play there anymore in recent times ...
thefly is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MensTennisForums.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome